Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 The Purl Stitch on Amazon!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

draymer
Permanent Resident

USA
1481 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2003 :  5:45:20 PM  Show Profile Send draymer a Private Message
I'm so excited, I preordered Sally Melville's new book, The Purl Stitch, off Amazon. It is 30% off, and is due October 1. I want to knit the Einstein Coat, the ruana, the asymetrical jacket, everything from Book 1 - I can't wait for Book 2. And Book 3 is about Color!!!

Debra

hobbitknitter
Permanent Resident

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2003 :  5:46:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit hobbitknitter's Homepage Send hobbitknitter a Private Message
hey, I'm excited for you! I've heard about those books, they sound awesome!
Sarah

S. Eliz.
Keep on knitting on!
Go to Top of Page

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2003 :  6:56:46 PM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
I've got the Knit Stitch from the library. It's awesome. But it's awesome not for teaching the stitch, but for the advice and patterns. I want to buy it, but I think i'll avoid the purl one. I'll just wait for colours.

I don't mind photocopying patterns, but books with advice and technique I want to have on hand where I can refer to them as I need to.

I'm so excited about building up my own library of knitting books.

Barbara

"I know we've got one SOMEWHERE"
Go to Top of Page

NancyW
Chatty Knitter

USA
219 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2003 :  10:26:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit NancyW's Homepage Send NancyW a Private Message
I've been wondering when this book will come out. Does it combine both the knit and purl stitch to do the designs? Or is it really all just the purl stitch? Wouldn't that just be the same as the 'back side' of the knit stitch??

I'll be checking this one out in my LYS when they get it!

-Nancy, feeling a bit cantankerous today =)

Go to Top of Page

draymer
Permanent Resident

USA
1481 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2003 :  10:30:12 AM  Show Profile Send draymer a Private Message
Nancy, Amazon says it is coming out October 1. Have no idea what aside from the purl stitch, it will contain, but if it is like the Knit Stitch, the patterns alone will make it a worthwile purchase, even for experienced knitters! Can't beat 30% off!

Debra

Go to Top of Page

phlame
Permanent Resident

USA
1553 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2003 :  9:21:43 PM  Show Profile Send phlame a Private Message
I,too, preordered it from Amazon expecting an October delivery, and when I got my order confirmation, it said it would be delivered in March '04. I immediately canceled my order. Better check yours.

Shirley

Too much is not enough!
Go to Top of Page

draymer
Permanent Resident

USA
1481 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2003 :  06:53:41 AM  Show Profile Send draymer a Private Message
Oh, thanks Shirley. I have another book on order to be delivered along with that one, and that is WAY TOO LONG to wait.

Debra

Go to Top of Page

Spinnerella
Permanent Resident

1040 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2003 :  07:21:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Spinnerella's Homepage Send Spinnerella a Private Message
I am not sure about this pre-order idea with amazon.com. I recently had the same experience, with pre-ordering a book, finding out it wouldn't be delivered till March, then seeing it already shipping. Cancelled. I have pre-ordered "The Purl Stitch", but cancelled the original order when I realized they were now offering a much lower price. My account is still showing they will ship in October, so we'll see. If they pull that March business, I will get it elsewhere! You could probably order right from XRX, the publisher, through knittinguniverse.com but for sure you will pay full price AND shipping!

Go to Top of Page

ChelleC100
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2003 :  10:10:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit ChelleC100's Homepage Send ChelleC100 a Private Message
My LYSO says that the second book will include both knit AND purl stitches. I bet there will be some great new patterns. I'm really looking forward to it too. I'm knitting the Einstein now. Chelle

Go to Top of Page

momrnc
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
443 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2003 :  06:43:53 AM  Show Profile Send momrnc a Private Message
I guess I'm a bit behind the times, but i just ordered from Amazon.com "The Knit Stitch" and the Finishing Touches book (boy, do I need that one ). I'm looking forward to seeing this Einstein coat pattern I've read everyone talking about!

Kathy
Go to Top of Page

phlame
Permanent Resident

USA
1553 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2003 :  08:46:10 AM  Show Profile Send phlame a Private Message
Well, maybe I'll reorder it and see if it comes in October. If it doesn't, I can always cancel the order. I loved The Knit Stitch so much that I can't wait to see this one.

Shirley

Too much is not enough!
Go to Top of Page

vicky by the bay
Permanent Resident

USA
4768 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2003 :  11:31:23 AM  Show Profile Send vicky by the bay a Private Message
Get this....I cancelled my Amazon order for 19.00 and reordered for 13.00. It says will be delivered BETWEEN oct -march. This gives them an out if the book is published later than stated! I got my HP from amazon the day it came out!!! So I expect to see it in October. Wish me Good Luck!!! I loved her first book...I'm sure the second will be just as good.

Vicky(new knitter-HELP!!)
Go to Top of Page

Lelani
Permanent Resident

USA
2005 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2003 :  01:28:23 AM  Show Profile Send Lelani a Private Message
I just love the knit stitch as well and will definitely order this Purl Stitch book as well. I like the way she explains things and offers so much info on her patterns. One thing I dont really understand, why is using the crochet cast on a good way to cast on versus others. Maybe I didnt read it carefully enough.Anybody used this before.

Lelani
Go to Top of Page

CatherineM
Permanent Resident

USA
3363 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2003 :  04:09:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit CatherineM's Homepage Send CatherineM a Private Message
Just FYI, The Purl Stitch has already shipped to some retailers. www.knitpicks.com and www.threadbearfiberarts.com already have it in stock. I just bought mine from Rob and Matt, (Threadbear) and I should have it on Tuesday.

Catherine
http://www.yorkiedog.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

msgb
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
531 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2003 :  06:58:00 AM  Show Profile Send msgb a Private Message
I bought my copy of the Purl Stitch at my LYS last week. It looks so good. I can't wait to make somethings out of it. I heard though that there is a mistake on page 19. I'm not sure. I haven't taken a close enough look.

Go to Top of Page

momrnc
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
443 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2003 :  08:15:12 AM  Show Profile Send momrnc a Private Message
I want to pre-order the Purl Stitch, but am afraid if I get it I'll want to make at least a few things in it (if it's anything like her first book!) The last thing I need right now is another WIP !

Lelani, I've used the crochet cast-on in my Einstein and it gives a nice double loop edge to it--it looks just like a bind-off edge. I will defer, as usual, to the more experienced knitter here, but I think that is the point of the crochet cast-on--so the bottom edge looks like the top edge.

Kathy

Go to Top of Page

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2003 :  09:05:08 AM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
quote:

I've got the Knit Stitch from the library. It's awesome. But it's awesome not for teaching the stitch, but for the advice and patterns. I want to buy it, but I think i'll avoid the purl one. I'll just wait for colours.

I don't mind photocopying patterns, but books with advice and technique I want to have on hand where I can refer to them as I need to.

I'm so excited about building up my own library of knitting books.

Barbara

Alright, I admit it. I'm weak.

I got the knit book shortly after my last posting, and then, despite all my big talk, I've pre-ordered the purl stitch from amazon. I hang my head in shame.

Barbara

"I know we've got one SOMEWHERE"
Go to Top of Page

LinKnit
Chatty Knitter

USA
155 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2003 :  1:10:38 PM  Show Profile Send LinKnit a Private Message
Someone has the "Knit Stitch" for sale on ebay. Starting price $9.99. I also preorder the Purl Stitch and it's supposed to be shipped between Oct 3 - 8. Hope so!!!!!

LindaM
Go to Top of Page

Lelani
Permanent Resident

USA
2005 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2003 :  2:08:54 PM  Show Profile Send Lelani a Private Message
Thanks MOMRNC, I can see what you mean by it giving it a much nicer and neater look. One more question, do you know,or does anyone know here if it matters if you are left -handed using the cast on crochet method. I am left-handed but knit using the right hand throw method of knitting. I just never learned to cast on using the right hand , I still cast on using my left hand!!!!

Lelani
Go to Top of Page

knitterbynight
Warming Up

USA
62 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2003 :  4:52:54 PM  Show Profile Send knitterbynight a Private Message
I picked up the purl stitch at my LYS over Labor day weekend.. I don't think any of you will be disappointed.. Great instructions and I have already picked out a couple of projects The book has combinations of the Knit/purl stitch.. Stockinnete ribbing etc...
Happy Knitting

Joanne
Go to Top of Page

vicky by the bay
Permanent Resident

USA
4768 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2003 :  7:02:49 PM  Show Profile Send vicky by the bay a Private Message
quote:

Thanks MOMRNC, I can see what you mean by it giving it a much nicer and neater look. One more question, do you know,or does anyone know here if it matters if you are left -handed using the cast on crochet method. I am left-handed but knit using the right hand throw method of knitting. I just never learned to cast on using the right hand , I still cast on using my left hand!!!!

Lelani

Lelani, I am a lefthanded...but righthanded knitter and have learned the crochet cast on. If fact, I like it so much I don't use the others any longer...! It can be learned...good luck!

Vicky (Queen O'Yarn archivist-QYA)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.88 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.