Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 crazy over felted- i-cord?!!!!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hobbitknitter
Permanent Resident

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2003 :  12:23:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit hobbitknitter's Homepage Send hobbitknitter a Private Message
Yeah, it's mad. it's crazy. But it's TRUE! I knit a felted tote and finished it yesterday and the part I liked the best was the straps. Which were, of course, felted i-cord. I was thinking all night of all the things I could make with felted- i-cord!!!!
Am I crazy, or do other people like this stuff as much as I do?

S. Eliz.
Keep on knitting on!

Licensed2Cook
Permanent Resident

USA
3554 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2003 :  2:45:22 PM  Show Profile  Send Licensed2Cook a Yahoo! Message Send Licensed2Cook a Private Message
S. Eliz.,

I love to felt purses with I-cord straps. Felting is my favorite part of knitting!

Dee
Go to Top of Page

Licensed2Cook
Permanent Resident

USA
3554 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2003 :  2:45:22 PM  Show Profile  Send Licensed2Cook a Yahoo! Message Send Licensed2Cook a Private Message
S. Eliz.,

I love to felt purses with I-cord straps. Felting is my favorite part of knitting!

Dee
Go to Top of Page

jmweis
Chatty Knitter

USA
260 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2003 :  3:44:46 PM  Show Profile Send jmweis a Private Message
I just felted a backpack with an I-cord, and I really loved the way it turned out. I would like to try making baskets and rugs using felted I-cords. Actually, I think it would be easier to knit the cords, sew them together to make the rug or basket and then put it in the washer and felt the whole thing. I am also making a stuffed duck based off a sketch my husband made, and I was thinking of making its legs out of an I-cord.

Cheers
Jennifer

Go to Top of Page

jmweis
Chatty Knitter

USA
260 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2003 :  3:44:46 PM  Show Profile Send jmweis a Private Message
I just felted a backpack with an I-cord, and I really loved the way it turned out. I would like to try making baskets and rugs using felted I-cords. Actually, I think it would be easier to knit the cords, sew them together to make the rug or basket and then put it in the washer and felt the whole thing. I am also making a stuffed duck based off a sketch my husband made, and I was thinking of making its legs out of an I-cord.

Cheers
Jennifer

Go to Top of Page

hobbitknitter
Permanent Resident

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2003 :  4:00:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit hobbitknitter's Homepage Send hobbitknitter a Private Message
Glad I'm not the only one who's crazy about felted i cord, lol!

S. Eliz.
Keep on knitting on!
Go to Top of Page

hobbitknitter
Permanent Resident

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2003 :  4:00:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit hobbitknitter's Homepage Send hobbitknitter a Private Message
Glad I'm not the only one who's crazy about felted i cord, lol!

S. Eliz.
Keep on knitting on!
Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2003 :  6:41:50 PM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message
I love i-cord. Felted of not. You can make a thicker handle by making a knitted belt. Cast on 7 stitches. Knit 4, move the yarn to the front as if to purl. Slip the last 3 stitches. Next row, do the same thing. Eventually it forms into a wonderful belt, nice and thick and the same on both sides. It made a great thick handle for my tote bag. It makes a great looking belt non felted.

Anita

See my completed projects!
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=977585&uid=619962&members=1
Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2003 :  6:41:50 PM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message
I love i-cord. Felted of not. You can make a thicker handle by making a knitted belt. Cast on 7 stitches. Knit 4, move the yarn to the front as if to purl. Slip the last 3 stitches. Next row, do the same thing. Eventually it forms into a wonderful belt, nice and thick and the same on both sides. It made a great thick handle for my tote bag. It makes a great looking belt non felted.

Anita

Go to Top of Page

hobbitknitter
Permanent Resident

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2003 :  12:59:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit hobbitknitter's Homepage Send hobbitknitter a Private Message
quote:

Anita

Got to try that! thanks!

S. Eliz.
Keep on knitting on!
Go to Top of Page

hobbitknitter
Permanent Resident

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2003 :  12:59:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit hobbitknitter's Homepage Send hobbitknitter a Private Message
quote:

Anita

Got to try that! thanks!

S. Eliz.
Keep on knitting on!
Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2003 :  3:38:19 PM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message
quote:

quote:

Anita

Got to try that! thanks!

S. Eliz.
Keep on knitting on!

It doesn't look like much for the first inch or 2, then suddenly it turns into a thing of wonder!

Anita

Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2003 :  3:38:19 PM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message
quote:

quote:

Anita

Got to try that! thanks!

S. Eliz.
Keep on knitting on!

It doesn't look like much for the first inch or 2, then suddenly it turns into a thing of wonder!

Anita

Go to Top of Page

hobbitknitter
Permanent Resident

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2003 :  4:41:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit hobbitknitter's Homepage Send hobbitknitter a Private Message
I wrote out the instructions, will try it later! Thanks again!

S. Eliz.
Keep on knitting on!
See my gallery: www.pagebypage.com/board/index.php
(In photo gallery pages, under S for Sarah Elizabeth)
Go to Top of Page

hobbitknitter
Permanent Resident

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2003 :  4:41:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit hobbitknitter's Homepage Send hobbitknitter a Private Message
I wrote out the instructions, will try it later! Thanks again!

S. Eliz.
Keep on knitting on!
Go to Top of Page

ChelleC100
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2003 :  07:40:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit ChelleC100's Homepage Send ChelleC100 a Private Message
Anita, Thanks so much for the suggestion of making a wider strap with i-cord. It just so happens I finished a rather LARGE knitting bag (called My Constant Companion) that is 15 inches wide and 10 inches high. Problem is, the pattern called for using two regular purse i-cords (knit with only 3 stitches) and even though I used 2 of these thin cords, it's not enough to support the weight of the bag with my knitting stuff in it! I'm afraid if I hold it that way, the holes will tear through the felting - and besides, it just looks bad/hangs badly that way.

So I was despairing over what to do when I read your post. I think I'll try the thicker strap and see if that's enough to hold the bag. Sure hope so! Chelle

Go to Top of Page

ChelleC100
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2003 :  07:40:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit ChelleC100's Homepage Send ChelleC100 a Private Message
Anita, Thanks so much for the suggestion of making a wider strap with i-cord. It just so happens I finished a rather LARGE knitting bag (called My Constant Companion) that is 15 inches wide and 10 inches high. Problem is, the pattern called for using two regular purse i-cords (knit with only 3 stitches) and even though I used 2 of these thin cords, it's not enough to support the weight of the bag with my knitting stuff in it! I'm afraid if I hold it that way, the holes will tear through the felting - and besides, it just looks bad/hangs badly that way.

So I was despairing over what to do when I read your post. I think I'll try the thicker strap and see if that's enough to hold the bag. Sure hope so! Chelle

Go to Top of Page

indigirl
New Pal

39 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2003 :  08:34:32 AM  Show Profile Send indigirl a Private Message
Oh, I know what you mean! I adore felted icord! It actually inspired one of my designs... a felted purse with dreadlocks.

http://www.indiknits.com/gallery.html (click on the bag on the lower left corner).

I just finished a bag with an edging of two attached icords that attach and make a strap. I'm pretty happy with it too. :-)
Go to Top of Page

indigirl
New Pal

39 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2003 :  08:34:32 AM  Show Profile Send indigirl a Private Message
Oh, I know what you mean! I adore felted icord! It actually inspired one of my designs... a felted purse with dreadlocks.

http://www.indiknits.com/gallery.html (click on the bag on the lower left corner).

I just finished a bag with an edging of two attached icords that attach and make a strap. I'm pretty happy with it too. :-)
Go to Top of Page

hobbitknitter
Permanent Resident

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2003 :  2:49:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit hobbitknitter's Homepage Send hobbitknitter a Private Message
Just to clarify- you knit it with straight needles, right? I've got this great idea for a fringed tie belt, it would look sooo awesome with my long jean skirt!
Sarah

S. Eliz.
Keep on knitting on!
Go to Top of Page

hobbitknitter
Permanent Resident

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2003 :  2:49:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit hobbitknitter's Homepage Send hobbitknitter a Private Message
Just to clarify- you knit it with straight needles, right? I've got this great idea for a fringed tie belt, it would look sooo awesome with my long jean skirt!
Sarah

S. Eliz.
Keep on knitting on!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.56 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe