Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Odd thing happening with a site and my router
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Summer
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
581 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2003 :  11:47:39 PM  Show Profile Send Summer a Private Message
There is a totally weird thing happening with a site. I hate to say which one because I don't want it to look like I'm bad mouthing them, but I almost have to say which one in case it's not just me.

We have multiple computers hooked up to a router, which connects to a DSL modem. For a couple of weeks, our router has just been randomly disconnecting. We thought that one of the many storms that's been causing our electricity to go out had somehow zapped the router, so we bought a new one. The same thing is happening. Turns out it's not so random. I've been sticking things in my Wish List on the Knit Picks site and adding stuff to the cart and each time the router has gone down, that's what I've been doing. For the life of us, we can't figure out what the site could be doing that could be causing this. We're both pretty computer savvy, my husband more so than I admittedly, and it just does not make sense to either of us.

I realize that not everyone has a router, and may not even know what I'm talking about, but has anyone had any kind of problems with that particular site doing strange things to your router or connection?

I am NOT badmouthing Knit Picks, so please don't think badly of them because of this. It may just be some incompatibility with our particular system. Just trying to figure out what's going on

Jill

(hristinac
Permanent Resident

United Kingdom
6054 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2003 :  05:09:58 AM  Show Profile Send (hristinac a Private Message
Yes you have to be careful too when typing in URL addresses !
Instead of typing in
www.tkga.com
I went
www.tgka.com
and was a bit shocked

i think some companies do that on purpose !

christina C et al x
Go to Top of Page

(hristinac
Permanent Resident

United Kingdom
6054 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2003 :  05:09:58 AM  Show Profile Send (hristinac a Private Message
Instead of typing in
www.tkga.com
I went
www.tgka.com
and was a bit shocked

christina C et al x
Go to Top of Page

(hristinac
Permanent Resident

United Kingdom
6054 Posts

Instead of typing in
www.tkga.com
I went
www.tgka.com
and was a bit shocked

christina C et al x
Go to Top of Page

Licensed2Cook
Permanent Resident

USA
3554 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2003 :  05:30:41 AM  Show Profile  Send Licensed2Cook a Yahoo! Message Send Licensed2Cook a Private Message
Jill,

I had some problems the first day they had their big clearance announcement I think all of us and more were there buying it up. I couldn't complete the purchase and had to sign off but I was happy to find that my cart was still intact the following morning when the traffic was lighter. I do so love KnitPicks!

Our disconnect problems had to do with the cable guys installing a spliter at the box. Apparently they hooked us up to the wrong one and they split the service when the other two neighbors signed up. It's only two customers per box and we're on one that now has three. They claim they will fix it at some point but for now they took us off the spliter and are having the other two share the hook up. Shhhhh!

Dee
Go to Top of Page

Licensed2Cook
Permanent Resident

USA
3554 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2003 :  05:30:41 AM  Show Profile  Send Licensed2Cook a Yahoo! Message Send Licensed2Cook a Private Message
Jill,

I had some problems the first day they had their big clearance announcement I think all of us and more were there buying it up. I couldn't complete the purchase and had to sign off but I was happy to find that my cart was still intact the following morning when the traffic was lighter. I do so love KnitPicks!

Our disconnect problems had to do with the cable guys installing a spliter at the box. Apparently they hooked us up to the wrong one and they split the service when the other two neighbors signed up. It's only two customers per box and we're on one that now has three. They claim they will fix it at some point but for now they took us off the spliter and are having the other two share the hook up. Shhhhh!

Dee
Go to Top of Page

Licensed2Cook
Permanent Resident

USA
3554 Posts

Jill,

Dee
Go to Top of Page

digknit
New Pal

USA
0 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2003 :  08:18:51 AM  Show Profile Send digknit a Private Message
Jill,
We've had the same problem with our router for a little while now. It doesn't happen while visiting any particular sites, it's pretty random. My computer-savvy husband is also stumped. Maybe it has to do with the router - what kind are you using? Ours is a linksys. Perhaps they're the ones we should get in touch with.

Go to Top of Page

digknit
New Pal

USA
0 Posts

Jill,
We've had the same problem with our router for a little while now. It doesn't happen while visiting any particular sites, it's pretty random. My computer-savvy husband is also stumped. Maybe it has to do with the router - what kind are you using? Ours is a linksys. Perhaps they're the ones we should get in touch with.

Go to Top of Page

digknit
New Pal

USA
0 Posts

Jill,

Go to Top of Page

hobbitknitter
Permanent Resident

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2003 :  11:07:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit hobbitknitter's Homepage Send hobbitknitter a Private Message
Hi cc, nice to see you here!
Once in awhile when I'm on TKGA and click on a topic, I get disconnected- weird, that. Also My server locks up on knitting.about.com!!!!
Don't know what your problem is, Summer. When I sw the word "router' I was thinking about the wood-working tool, lol!
Hope the problem clears up!!!
Sarah

S. Eliz.
Keep on knitting on!
See my gallery: www.pagebypage.com/board/index.php
(In photo gallery pages, under S for Sarah Elizabeth)
Go to Top of Page

hobbitknitter
Permanent Resident

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2003 :  11:07:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit hobbitknitter's Homepage Send hobbitknitter a Private Message
Once in awhile when I'm on TKGA and click on a topic, I get disconnected- weird, that. Also My server locks up on knitting.about.com!!!!
Don't know what your problem is, Summer. When I sw the word "router' I was thinking about the wood-working tool, lol!
Sarah

S. Eliz.
Keep on knitting on!
Go to Top of Page

hobbitknitter
Permanent Resident

USA
2285 Posts

Sarah

S. Eliz.
Keep on knitting on!
Go to Top of Page

Summer
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
581 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2003 :  11:25:08 AM  Show Profile Send Summer a Private Message
Dignit, ours is a Linksys also. It's a 4 port firewall router so it may be a firewall port issue. I'm going to play around with the router settings some more and see if that fixes anything. If not, guess I'll call Linksys.

Jill
Go to Top of Page

Summer
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
581 Posts

Dignit, ours is a Linksys also. It's a 4 port firewall router so it may be a firewall port issue. I'm going to play around with the router settings some more and see if that fixes anything. If not, guess I'll call Linksys.

Jill
Go to Top of Page

Summer
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
581 Posts

Jill
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.84 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?