Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: We welcome a succulent Merino from Patagonia
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Bad Yarn or Bad Knitter?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

purlgrrl
Chatty Knitter

230 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2003 :  07:39:53 AM  Show Profile Send purlgrrl a Private Message
I'm wondering if I'm the reason that my yarn (Red Heart super Saver) keeps unraveling and shredding. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, and blaming the poor yarn for nothing! I've been knitting for about 2 weeks, and I still have problems firuring out how to tension my hand correctly when I knit. Any suggestions about learning how to achieve the proper tension and motion when knitting Continental?

draymer
Permanent Resident

USA
1490 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2003 :  08:03:38 AM  Show Profile Send draymer a Private Message
What kind of needles are you using? Wooden grip more, plastic slip better.

Debra

Go to Top of Page

draymer
Permanent Resident

USA
1490 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2003 :  08:03:38 AM  Show Profile Send draymer a Private Message
What kind of needles are you using? Wooden grip more, plastic slip better.

Debra

Go to Top of Page

purlgrrl
Chatty Knitter

230 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2003 :  08:11:36 AM  Show Profile Send purlgrrl a Private Message
I'm using Boye aluminum spn's, which means the yarn oughta just slide off like a dream.

Go to Top of Page

purlgrrl
Chatty Knitter

230 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2003 :  08:11:36 AM  Show Profile Send purlgrrl a Private Message
I'm using Boye aluminum spn's, which means the yarn oughta just slide off like a dream.

Go to Top of Page

mtchen
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2003 :  08:28:49 AM  Show Profile Send mtchen a Private Message
Can you try a different yarn? Then you'll know for sure if it's the yarn or the needles...I would recommend Patons Canadiana if you can find any. They're only 2-3 dollars a skein and the quality is great for the price...I have used this yarn before for practice and it will not shred or unravel at all...
Go to Top of Page

mtchen
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2003 :  08:28:49 AM  Show Profile Send mtchen a Private Message
Can you try a different yarn? Then you'll know for sure if it's the yarn or the needles...I would recommend Patons Canadiana if you can find any. They're only 2-3 dollars a skein and the quality is great for the price...I have used this yarn before for practice and it will not shred or unravel at all...
Go to Top of Page

LJ
Permanent Resident

USA
1939 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2003 :  08:31:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit LJ's Homepage Send LJ a Private Message
My friend had the same problem with some Red Heart, fell apart in her hands as she crochet'd. She was able to pull out about 1/3 of the skein to find yarn she could use.

Linda

http://wallisknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

LJ
Permanent Resident

USA
1939 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2003 :  08:31:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit LJ's Homepage Send LJ a Private Message
My friend had the same problem with some Red Heart, fell apart in her hands as she crochet'd. She was able to pull out about 1/3 of the skein to find yarn she could use.

Linda

http://wallisknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

purlgrrl
Chatty Knitter

230 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2003 :  08:43:51 AM  Show Profile Send purlgrrl a Private Message
I'm going to Wal Mart later in the day, and I'm going to buy some Caron's, and maybe a skein of Lion Brand Chunky. I'm not able to get to a real live yarn store at the moment, so Wal Mart is my LYS.
I figure if I'm doing something wrong technique-wise, I want to correct it now, rather than when I've got more costly yarn.

Go to Top of Page

purlgrrl
Chatty Knitter

230 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2003 :  08:43:51 AM  Show Profile Send purlgrrl a Private Message
I'm going to Wal Mart later in the day, and I'm going to buy some Caron's, and maybe a skein of Lion Brand Chunky. I'm not able to get to a real live yarn store at the moment, so Wal Mart is my LYS.
I figure if I'm doing something wrong technique-wise, I want to correct it now, rather than when I've got more costly yarn.

Go to Top of Page

lizzi
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2003 :  10:29:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit lizzi's Homepage Send lizzi a Private Message
What might (and I stress the might) be the problem is the twist direction of the yarn coupled with the direction you wrap the yarn around the needle as you form your stitches.

I'm not going to get technical in comparing S- and Z-yarns, English and Continental knitting. Mostly because I can never keep them straight anyway. But I do know that sometimes, even now, when I use the backwards-loop cast on, after about five stitches the trailing yarn looks like it was never spun in the first place!

If the motion you use in forming the stitches runs contrary to the twist of the yarn, the yarn will un-spin itself as you work. Here's an easy demonstration: take your Red Heart (I'm using it too, I just tested this) and, holding one end, wrap it about fifteen times around a spare needle clockwise (if you're staring at the point of the needle head-on). By the fifteenth wrap, mine has completely separated into its component plies. Do the same thing counter-clockwise--the yarn should hold together and if anything, look more tightly twisted.

It has nothing to do with the specific yarn or needles you're using--this will happen under the right circumstance with any plied yarn. But, unfortunately, the only thing I can think of to fix it is to wrap the yarn around the needle in the other direction as you knit--which is like telling you to re-learn to knit.

Sorry I can't help more...

Lizzi
http://amimono.blogspot.com

"Adjectives on the typewriter, he moves his words like a prize fighter." Cake, Shadow Stabbing
Go to Top of Page

lizzi
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2003 :  10:29:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit lizzi's Homepage Send lizzi a Private Message
What might (and I stress the might) be the problem is the twist direction of the yarn coupled with the direction you wrap the yarn around the needle as you form your stitches.

I'm not going to get technical in comparing S- and Z-yarns, English and Continental knitting. Mostly because I can never keep them straight anyway. But I do know that sometimes, even now, when I use the backwards-loop cast on, after about five stitches the trailing yarn looks like it was never spun in the first place!

If the motion you use in forming the stitches runs contrary to the twist of the yarn, the yarn will un-spin itself as you work. Here's an easy demonstration: take your Red Heart (I'm using it too, I just tested this) and, holding one end, wrap it about fifteen times around a spare needle clockwise (if you're staring at the point of the needle head-on). By the fifteenth wrap, mine has completely separated into its component plies. Do the same thing counter-clockwise--the yarn should hold together and if anything, look more tightly twisted.

It has nothing to do with the specific yarn or needles you're using--this will happen under the right circumstance with any plied yarn. But, unfortunately, the only thing I can think of to fix it is to wrap the yarn around the needle in the other direction as you knit--which is like telling you to re-learn to knit.

Sorry I can't help more...

Lizzi
http://amimono.blogspot.com

"Adjectives on the typewriter, he moves his words like a prize fighter." Cake, Shadow Stabbing
Go to Top of Page

marnita
Chatty Knitter

USA
348 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2003 :  10:50:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit marnita's Homepage Send marnita a Private Message
If Lizzi is right about the twist of the plies, you should just try pulling the yarn from the other end. If you are taking the yarn from the outside, pull it from the center. If you are pulling from the centre, try the outside end. That should reverse the twist in relation to your wrap.

Good luck.

http://marneysworld.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

marnita
Chatty Knitter

USA
348 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2003 :  10:50:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit marnita's Homepage Send marnita a Private Message
If Lizzi is right about the twist of the plies, you should just try pulling the yarn from the other end. If you are taking the yarn from the outside, pull it from the center. If you are pulling from the centre, try the outside end. That should reverse the twist in relation to your wrap.

Good luck.

http://marneysworld.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2003 :  12:22:37 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
Try Red Heart Soft instead of regular Red Heart. It is my favorite for children's items because it washes so well.

fran

Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2003 :  12:22:37 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
Try Red Heart Soft instead of regular Red Heart. It is my favorite for children's items because it washes so well.

fran

Go to Top of Page

thevalkyry
Sustaining Member

USA
736 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2003 :  1:33:29 PM  Show Profile Send thevalkyry a Private Message
I would agree since my Svale is all unwound. But since I am stranding, I am not only wrapping it, I am twisting the colours further as I go... luckily it doesnt look all unwound knitted up -- just btween my work on the ball! :)

Go to Top of Page

thevalkyry
Sustaining Member

USA
736 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2003 :  1:33:29 PM  Show Profile Send thevalkyry a Private Message
I would agree since my Svale is all unwound. But since I am stranding, I am not only wrapping it, I am twisting the colours further as I go... luckily it doesnt look all unwound knitted up -- just btween my work on the ball! :)

Go to Top of Page

thevalkyry
Sustaining Member

USA
736 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2003 :  1:35:40 PM  Show Profile Send thevalkyry a Private Message

Go to Top of Page

thevalkyry
Sustaining Member

USA
736 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2003 :  1:35:40 PM  Show Profile Send thevalkyry a Private Message

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.8 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?