Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 TRULY RANDOM
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2003 :  4:00:42 PM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message
When knitting a sweater do you knit the same pattern over and over using different yarns or do you knit a new pattern ea time. I find I knit new pattern ea time.

Zola

thevalkyry
Sustaining Member

USA
736 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2003 :  4:09:23 PM  Show Profile Send thevalkyry a Private Message
I have done one pattern twice in different yarns -- and the second one actually turned out worse than the first! :) But normally I do something once and move on!

Go to Top of Page

Milinda
Permanent Resident

USA
3817 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2003 :  5:06:09 PM  Show Profile Send Milinda a Private Message
Zola, when I was a little girl first knitting, I stuck to the same pattern, knit it over and over and over and over, well, you get what I mean. I relied on changing yarns for my spice of life, I guess. Really, I was afraid for the longest time to try different shapings and stitches.

Then, when I received my first dictionary of knitted stiches in graph, I branched out and did the same cardigan/pullover, just with different stitch patters. Over and over and over . . .

Finally, about twenty five years ago, much to my relief and those around me, I got into designing in a big way and different shapings entered stage left. Now I try to do something different each time. I do have some favorites I like to reuse but for the most part, I want to try something different, in pattern stich, shaping and texture of yarn.

M L
Go to Top of Page

Summer
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
581 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2003 :  5:09:37 PM  Show Profile Send Summer a Private Message
So far I've used a different pattern each time. It's almost like I get bored with one after I've worked on it for awhile and I'm ready to move on to the new. The only exception is going to be EZ's baby surprise sweater, which I plan to make again in different yarns.

Jill
Go to Top of Page

carols
Permanent Resident

USA
1681 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2003 :  5:24:26 PM  Show Profile Send carols a Private Message
Funny you should ask; I have a friend who makes two of every pattern. As soon as she finishes one sweater, she makes a second version of it in different yarn. I, on the other hand, can't make the same sweater twice -- too many to make in too little time. But I do make multiple versions of small items, like hats & socks, all the time.
Carol

Go to Top of Page

lizzi
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2003 :  5:51:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit lizzi's Homepage Send lizzi a Private Message
The first large project I ever did was an oddball intarsia cardigan. I liked the way it fit so much that I used the same shape but graphed out a different design. I was thirteen at the time, and these were big, boxy things, but I really liked them.

Then I was wearing one when I went to visit my grandmother, and she tried it on when I showed it to her. What was boxy and oversize on me actually fit her perfectly! So she asked for one with a sunflower pattern, and I did it. Then she wanted another one and she told me to surprise her. I did an allover-diamond pattern in about a million colors. So all in all, I did that sweater four times.

Haven't done another pattern more than once. Though if the keyhole sweater I'm finishing now turns out well, I might make a second one. And if I ever get around to making a Chickami, I'm sure I'll make a million--I love tank tops!

Lizzi
http://amimono.blogspot.com

"Adjectives on the typewriter, he moves his words like a prize fighter." Cake, Shadow Stabbing
Go to Top of Page

liebekatja
Chatty Knitter

USA
262 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2003 :  10:28:04 PM  Show Profile Send liebekatja a Private Message
The only sweater pattern I've done more than once was "Down at the OK Corral" in Knitting the New Classics (or Knitting Today's Classics? I can't remember. The one that came out first). I made it once for myself, then my mom liked it so much that I made it once for her, and then my best friend liked them both so much that I made it once for her. I doubt I've made it for the last time!

Otherwise, no, I don't usually use the same pattern. I just see too many new patterns that I want to try and I get Project Fever.

Katie

Go to Top of Page

lizknit
Permanent Resident

USA
1179 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2003 :  12:54:44 AM  Show Profile Send lizknit a Private Message
There are a few patterns that I've done over and over, mostly baby sweaters that I give as gifts. And I usually take a break and knit something different before doing the same one again. Primarily, though, I prefer variety and new challenges.

Go to Top of Page

hobbitknitter
Permanent Resident

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2003 :  10:50:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit hobbitknitter's Homepage Send hobbitknitter a Private Message
I try to make something that is more difficult each time I make something new. But there are some patterns that I use (in tune) over and over again!
Sarah

S. Eliz.
Keep on knitting on!
See my gallery: www.pagebypage.com/board/index.php
(In photo gallery pages, under S for Sarah Elizabeth)
Go to Top of Page

Marg in Mirror
Permanent Resident

Canada
3205 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2003 :  10:58:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Marg in Mirror's Homepage  Send Marg in Mirror a Yahoo! Message Send Marg in Mirror a Private Message
Like LizKnit, I have a few 'favourites' that get pulled out for various occasions -- esp. a couple of baby outfits (bonnet, booties, mittens, sweater). I also have a tried-and-true glove pattern that I like, and one for mittens. For sweaters though, that's where I have fun with new patterns!

-- Marg in Calgary

TLWKOTB
http://knitsonthebus.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Janice
Warming Up

USA
94 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2003 :  12:19:02 PM  Show Profile Send Janice a Private Message
I have a favorite baby bootee pattern, and I did the same cardigan in two sizes for my nephew, but otherwise they're one-of-a-kind.

Janice
Go to Top of Page

Luann
Permanent Resident

USA
2666 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2003 :  12:28:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Luann's Homepage Send Luann a Private Message
I don't like to repeat myself with sweaters, but for scarves and socks I have a couple of patterns I rotate around in. I'm not so fast with the big things that I am willing to repeat myself yet.

My mother-in-law had one raglan sleeve pullover that she loved to make, and did up in all kinds of yarn. She really liked having the basic pattern memorized and then she'd improvise with color and other things.

Luann

Go to Top of Page

jade
Permanent Resident

USA
1543 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2003 :  1:14:14 PM  Show Profile Send jade a Private Message
I've used some generic patterns many times, like the sock pattern which I've used for 3 pairs but each time I've used a slightly different pattern stitch. I like the way this design fits and it's completely adjustable for different gauge yarns and sizes.

For sweaters I have in my head a basic pattern for the usual shapes - set-in or raglan sleeves, crew or V or turtlenecks, cardigan or pullover, bottom-up or top-down, knitted in the round or flat. Using Ann Budd's book I can adapt these for different yarns and sizes, and I also use Barbara Walker's books for texture and pattern stitches.

Knowing these basic shapes helps when I do something completely different, which I do to keep things interesting. I find that new designs are almost always variations on the generic pattern.

So I guess my long-winded answer is that I use patterns over but usually have some variation each time. I don't think I have ever done the identical sweater design twice.

Cheryl

Go to Top of Page

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2003 :  7:58:43 PM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
I often don't even finish the first itteration of a particular pattern. Especially if it's a big bulky sweater.

Barbara

"I know we've got one SOMEWHERE"
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2003 :  05:34:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message
I often knit the same pattern twice (with the exception of intarsia sweaters) but always in a different color or with a different yarn. I might make a sweater in wool and then for the next season make it in cotton. I find that the first time is the learning experience of a new pattern and the subsequent times are clear sailing. I am also the person who goes into Banana Republic and buys the same pair of pants in black, blue, and 2 shades of khaki and the same t shirt in 4 colors. I think when I was younger I was less boring.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.83 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe