Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Summer knitting accomplishments
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2003 :  05:47:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message
Labor Day is almost here. What have you started, finished, or thrown in the back of the closet since Memorial Day? What new techniques have you attempted, learned, or mastered?

ChelleC100
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2003 :  06:53:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit ChelleC100's Homepage Send ChelleC100 a Private Message
Good topic. Over the summer, I've really gotten into knitting - I've made my first pair of socks! I always thought they were "too hard" but now I love making them and am SO glad I learned. Also am knitting my first sweater, the Einstein. Almost finished with that - working on the sleeves. I've made a felted purse and large tote (My Constant Companion). I've made a shoulder shawl (shrug?). Several cell phone covers and dishclothes.

As far as techniques - I learned to pick up stitches, to "short row" to do knitted i-cord and i-cord bindoff. Chelle

Go to Top of Page

carolbeech
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
444 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2003 :  07:25:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit carolbeech's Homepage Send carolbeech a Private Message
Wow - I've knitted no where near what ChelleC has! I have started a wrap sweater (from links provided by this forum) and that's it. Trying to knit with a 2 year old around is a little like trying to knit with a cat - she doesn't want her ball of yarn, she wants mine!
I am thinking about starting Christmas presents......don't know what yet, since almost everyone I know has already recieved a scarf from me!
Connie

Go to Top of Page

carolbeech
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
444 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2003 :  07:28:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit carolbeech's Homepage Send carolbeech a Private Message
I forgot to add that I learned how to make edgings for sweaters - its easier if you knit the edging first horizontally, then pick up stitches and knit up from there (at least according to Lilly Chinn its easier, I frankly did not get all the math. I am going to try it on a little sweater.
Connie

Go to Top of Page

klfrazier
Permanent Resident

1745 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2003 :  07:32:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit klfrazier's Homepage Send klfrazier a Private Message
First, this is the summer that I figured out exactly how much I love to knit. While I've been a knitter for over 20 years now, I've really started to focus on knitting this summer and have excluded many of the other crafts that I just don't enjoy that much.

I've accomplished:
felted tea cozy from "Knitter's Stash" - done
2 pairs of Debbie Bliss bunny bootees - done
D. Bliss bunny toy - done
Tiger Bootee - 45%
Opal orange socks - 1 done
cast on fixation socks
Sweater for husband - 30%
fair isle sweater for baby - 45%
(It's not as much as I would like, but I also had 6 yards of lace to tatt for my daughter's blessing dress and then there is taking care of said daughter.

I've also built up an impressive library.

I've learned two color knitting, lots more about shaping, the Kitchner stitch, how to hide my stash and my book purchases from my husband, how to find deals on the internet on said books and how to stave off mommy boredom by using this forum!

Kristin

Go to Top of Page

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2003 :  07:33:17 AM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message
Chelle, good for you. I have started 5 sweaters of various complexity and none are finished. I just started 2 to be sure they are done for Xmas. Boy I am sooo impressed, I hope in the next 3 mos. I can say I finished something. You keep on keeping on. You are a inspiration to us all.

Zola
Go to Top of Page

pqpatch
Seriously Hooked

USA
617 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2003 :  07:38:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit pqpatch's Homepage Send pqpatch a Private Message
I am just finishing up a cute little sleeveless cotton/silk top from Dale of Norway pattern book. Just in time to put it away to wear for next summer. Seriously, I hope there is still plenty of warm days to wear it yet. Just have to do the shell trim around the armholes and neckline. I am going to grab it right now and sit on my front porch with a cup of coffee and enjoy the beautiful morning before the humidity hits.

Patty

Go to Top of Page

draymer
Permanent Resident

USA
1492 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2003 :  08:06:40 AM  Show Profile Send draymer a Private Message
Great Topic! I'm trying to divide my knitting into seasons - I'm furiously trying to finish up my summer projects so I can start my Einstien as soon as my sale Lopi arrives! I did a couple tank tops (pink of course) for my daughter - one from the Vogue Kids Special magazine, a plain garter stitch cotton tank top, with a purchased beaded edging sewn around the bottom. She calls it her "Brittany Spear's Top." Also made her a tank top from a Sirdar snowflake pattern, with stripped light and dark pinks. I have another skein of purples to do the same, but I discovered I hate knitting with Snowflake! It makes me feel like an incompetent (we won't mention whether it is true).

I also have finished up 3 sweaters she can wear to ice skating - she takes it year round. One is the Sirdar Snowflake pattern with the teddy bear - it is really cute. The other, a rolled neck striped sweater in purple, and a Sirdar Kool Kidz in pink and purple. I'm also on the last sleeve of the Tomten jacket, which I knitted from bulky red cotton. I was sooo happy I could get my 3 skeins (same dyelot) which I was short from Elann!

I still have 2 sweaters to finish for myself - one is a Jaeger summer sweater, white and navy. I bought pants and a skirt to wear with it, but since I haven't had time to hem those up, I haven't missed the sweater. Oh well, this gives me added incentive to keep my weight stable until next summer!

In terms of learning things, I'm kind of disappointed in me. I just got back to the craft, but I did learn how to weave invisible seams, and I learned a little bit about visualizing patterns in different yarns. Unfortunately, I also learned about yarn addiction.

I should switch to my Einstein about Labor Day. Is that great timing, or what! Only have 1 Christmas present on the horizon, so I should be okay!

Debra

Go to Top of Page

LinKnit
Chatty Knitter

USA
155 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2003 :  08:24:42 AM  Show Profile Send LinKnit a Private Message
Wow, there's some very busy knitters on our forum this summer!!!!

I've finished a shawl in grey Felicia from Ironstone and a machine knit tuck stitch summer top in a cotton type yarn (Rio by Tamm) on my bulky machine, 2 Baby blankets and 2 lapghans for the nursing home.

I've started a Feather & Fan afghan in Wool Ease, a pair of socks in Falkland superwash wool, and patterns from 365 Knitting Stitches calendar for another afghan(8 are done).

This week, I've made swatches on my standard machine for a fancy wool/rayon sweater in a cranberry/grey color and a stadium jacket in a grey heather with double cables.

Almost forgot, a knitted necklace/collar in Gedifra and Fun Fur as a birthday present for my girlfriend.

That's all I think!!-whew

LindaM
Go to Top of Page

Marg in Mirror
Permanent Resident

Canada
3205 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2003 :  08:26:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Marg in Mirror's Homepage  Send Marg in Mirror a Yahoo! Message Send Marg in Mirror a Private Message
(sigh)...Though Sept. is my favourite month, somehow as it is getting cooler in the mornings and as the days are getting shorter, I find myself wishing summer would last a bit longer so I could finish my tank (in cotton) and actually wear it (I'm 1/2 way up the front; the back is done). However, as I have a bag (to felt) started and a BNS for my DD (in superwash), the cooler temps are welcome. Here's what I have done thus far:

SitCom Chic cardigan - finished except for trouble with neckline (may have to frog; see post asking for help);
Tequila Tank (KnitNet June '03) - back finished; front 1/2 finished;
Boat-neck Sweater for DD - about 6" done on the back;
To-be-felted Bag (AngelHair Free Patterns) - just begun -- about 2 " on circs.

I also have a Silketweed cardigan and shell to sew together, and am 1/2-way through the first of a pair of Conwy sox (from "Knitting on the Road").

There you have it!

-- Marg in Calgary

TLWKOTB
http://knitsonthebus.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

jmweis
Chatty Knitter

USA
260 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2003 :  08:38:13 AM  Show Profile Send jmweis a Private Message
Wow, it seems that many of you have been very productive.

This summer I have been working on the Reniassance Tunic from the Spring (?) issue of interweave knits. But I have made many mistakes and had to start over on both the body and the sleeves (both are knitting in the round) and then I dropped a bunch of stiches in the cable and had to frog whole section and now I need to figure out where I left off. I did finish one sleeve, but it seems backwards to me (i.e. the position of the cuff relative to the cap of the sleeve (I think that is what you call the part you shape?). So I have to start over on the sleeve. Sigh.

I got into this kick of knitting toys for my nieces and nephews, I have two done and 5 to go. These will be christmas presents and a means of reducing my stash.

I started an afghan with yarn I got on sale. It is really pretty, and very thin cotton yarn that is light green, olive green, light blue and beigey. The colors remind me of spring, so I hope during the winter months, it will cheer me up. (I really don't like winter). I am knitting it with the yarn doubled. I am about 1/4 of the way done with it.

I finally felted the backpack I knitted last year, now I just need to finish sewing the straps on.

I finished a vest for my step-mom in Florida, but when I visited her last week, it was way to big. So I am going to do something different with that.

Well, maybe I haven't been all that unproductive, I just always wish I could accomplish more.

Oh, and I need to learn how to hide my stash like Kristin did ..

Cheers
Jennifer

Go to Top of Page

thevalkyry
Sustaining Member

USA
736 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2003 :  09:53:10 AM  Show Profile Send thevalkyry a Private Message
Let me stand in awe of all you prolific knitters!!! My accomplishments were somewhat stymied by the fact that I moved this summer and my knitting fell second to packing/unpacking. But, other than a massive 206 row afghan (20 rows left) I do have some fun accomplishments under my belt.

One is that I just in the past week learned to crochet!! And I have already made a cute hat for myself! I still move with painful slowness thru triple crochets but I am proud of myself nonetheless.

Another source of pride was the lightbulb that went off when someone said "vertical stripe scarf". This had never occured to me before. Like a fiend I went tearing through my LYS and put together a fall colourway with Damasco, 1824 Cotton, Denim Silk, Sport, and Chinchilla. I made an entirely free form, unplanned, vertical striped scarf mixing the colours, textures and a combination of garter, stockinette, and linen stitches. It was a beautiful design breakthrough. It now belongs to an artist friend of mine who I thought would appreciate it best. (And now I have one more reason he owes me a painting ;)

And I am almost done with the colourway hat from the newest interweave knits :)

Go to Top of Page

Hello Knitty
Permanent Resident

1069 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2003 :  10:21:48 AM  Show Profile Send Hello Knitty a Private Message
Let's see. Two Phildar sweaters to finish sewing up, a third almost done, plugging away at the #@$@!! Eros wrap, 8 baby hats for a gift, yet another Tecnohair scarf for me, ordered a bunch of books for more projects, and have the summer Phildar book in the mail which will make me make more sweaters and OMIGOSH! It's time to go see all the fall yarn!

Go to Top of Page

Maxtish
Chatty Knitter

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2003 :  10:33:24 AM  Show Profile Send Maxtish a Private Message
I feel like I've accomplished so little. I finished a pair of socks. I think that's it basically all I have completed.

I go away most weekends, and it being hot and having no air conditioning cut down on my urge to knit. I have also been extremely busy at work. So there are all my excuses.

Though if I just finish up that baby sweater (literally 2 seams and sew on a button) I can add that to my list. I have another baby sweater in the works and another pair of socks. I have a cotton/linen tank top I wanted to finish (top of the front and some details around the armholes and neckline) but it is for me so I always seem to put it at the end of the list!

Go to Top of Page

DietchGirl
Sustaining Member

USA
517 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2003 :  11:16:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit DietchGirl's Homepage Send DietchGirl a Private Message
Wow, I feel like I've been knitting non-stop. I'm not a very fast knitter, but I've accomplished more than I thought... (now if only I could actually FINISH something!)

O2 sweater - 99% done (just needs to be sewn up)
Cotton Colori tank - 80%
Einstein coat - 55%
Ozeyarn mohair sweater - 30%
Eros shawl - 20%, but I'm going to frog it and start over

Also read "Knitting w/out Tears" and "The Knit Stitch". Have learned some wonderful techniques from both books.

quote:
I've finished a shawl in grey Felicia from Ironstone...
Cool, there's a yarn named after me. Need to investigate this one!

Felicia

"You have your own little ball of yarn but you always want mine." -my ongoing battle with my cat, Manny
Go to Top of Page

Janice
Warming Up

USA
94 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2003 :  11:52:29 AM  Show Profile Send Janice a Private Message
I've spent most of the summer thinking it was too hot to knit, but I've gotten halfway up the back of a Kaffe Fasset lattice sweater and am getting better at knitting in the ends.

Janice
Go to Top of Page

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2003 :  12:45:10 PM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message
Janice, Finally someone who says they are knitting a Kaffe Fasset. I always wondered if anyone but a pro knitter made his stuff. It is a little too intimidating for me. Congratulatios for trying. Boy so many of you have done so much it is making me want to get busy and finish something.

Zola
Go to Top of Page

momrnc
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
443 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2003 :  2:02:37 PM  Show Profile Send momrnc a Private Message
Like Kristin, I only recently rediscovered my love of knitting. I think I spent my summer planning and starting projects, so let's have this conversation again at the end of the fall season.

I did finish (1) an american flag scarf in Aurora merino wool in which I learned to stripe colors and switch colors back and forth as I was making the stars (my DH and DD tell me the stars look like chickens); (2) The Four Hour Fluff Scarf in Greater Adirondack Fluff yarn that did only take four hours and is the softest thing around my neck (my DH and DD said it looked like a dead cat, and please don't take offense, they like cats) (3) a Berroco raglan sweater in which I learned to pick up stitches.

I learned to knit on circulars, and learned they can be used on any project and how much I like knitting on circulars.

I learned alot about yarns; weights, fiber content, how to buy and where to buy it.

I learned how much fun it is to share ideas and thoughts on-line with people who share a passion for this wonderful hobby. I learned not to sweat how I manage my hobby--I do this for fun, so I don't feel guilty over how much yarn I buy or how many WIP's I have.

Personally, I feel quite accomplished

Kathy

Oh yeah, and I learned again how good it feels to do something nice for someone for no other reason than they need it--The Healthful Throw.

Thank you to the Forum for teaching me alot this summer.

Go to Top of Page

purlgrrl
Chatty Knitter

230 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2003 :  2:29:01 PM  Show Profile Send purlgrrl a Private Message
Does starting to knit count?

Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4399 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2003 :  2:54:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message
What a great topic!

I almost finished a cotton cabled afghan (my big summer project, and my first cables) in time for my niece to take to college. Almost. I have one more panel to go before I start sewing it up, so she'll have to wait a little bit for her surprise. I took a magic loop workshop, and now I have a few pairs of socks on needles, all for Christmas gifts. I bought yarn for a bunch of scarves and socks for Christmas, so as soon as The Afghan is out of the way I'll get started.

I got a lot done this summer, especially since it's the busiest time of year at work. Knitting has kept me sane -- I look forward to coming home to whichever project my tired brain can handle. I'm proud of all the knitting I've done, and of the beautiful results, too. It's been a good summer, I'd say!

Jane
Go to Top of Page

Marg in Mirror
Permanent Resident

Canada
3205 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2003 :  3:16:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Marg in Mirror's Homepage  Send Marg in Mirror a Yahoo! Message Send Marg in Mirror a Private Message
quote:

Does starting to knit count?

If by 'starting', you mean that this summer you learned to knit and started your first project(s) -- absolutely! Bravo!

TLWKOTB
http://knitsonthebus.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.8 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by