Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Summer knitting accomplishments
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

thevalkyry
Sustaining Member

USA
736 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2003 :  4:30:13 PM  Show Profile Send thevalkyry a Private Message
learning to knit is definitely an accomplishment. so YES!! What is your first project? Did you do a sensible scarf or something nuts like me who did the massive afghan? ;)

Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4400 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2003 :  6:28:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message
Ditto! Learning how to knit is, in itself, quite an endeavor. Bravo, bravo, and bravo again!

As for me, the KR swatches have a life of their own. But as for my personal knitting, it's been almost zilch. Not a single stitch has been made on my Hanne Falkenberg Studio sweater, nor has the Carodan Farms sweater (begun after last year's retreat) seen any progress. I did begin a baby cardigan but abruptly stopped when -- as I was piecing it together -- I discovered that the front was an inch shorter than the back. Oops....

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
Go to Top of Page

purlgrrl
Chatty Knitter

230 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2003 :  6:30:51 PM  Show Profile Send purlgrrl a Private Message
Well, no massive afghans, although I've made a garter stitch blanket for a dog, a couple little things for my mother...easy stuff. I'm off to a YS tomorrow, and I'm gonna see about stuff to make a felted bag....or socks...or maybe an afghan for human consumption.
I haven't wanted to invest in lots of good yarn just yet while I'm still figuring the basics out, but I think I'm gonna need something a little more substantial than what I'm using now.

Go to Top of Page

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2003 :  9:09:29 PM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
I haven't exactly been prolific, but I'm quite proud of myself nonetheless. I've picked up knitting again (for the umpteenth time). I think I know why I've never stuck with it in the past. I always chose massive projects that I simply don't have the patience for. I think that learning your limitations is a very good thing.

I've discovered that there are interesting small projects, that actually have a hope of getting finished.

I've discovered that I need to own some reference books, and that most of them can be found on eBay. Oh, yes, I've discovered eBay.

I've discovered that I like nice yarn, although that doesn't necessarily mean expensive.

I've discovered TouchMe and am currently knitting my brother a scarf in it.

I've discovered 2 socks on 2 circs, toe up.

I've started teaching my 8yr old daughter to knit (she's helping me with my green square).

Most importantly, I've discovered all the wonderful on-line resources available, particularly this forum. There are answers for almost all questions here.

Happy, happy, joy, joy

Barbara

"I know we've got one SOMEWHERE"
Go to Top of Page

chrisknit
Chatty Knitter

Australia
279 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2003 :  11:12:31 PM  Show Profile Send chrisknit a Private Message
You go guys! It's winter down here so the knitting might be a different from you northern hemisphere types, but let me see, I've almost finished the first pair of socks I've ever done, nice little cables on the legs. Trying desperately to finish another pair for my mum for her birthday (which was last Monday ), nice lilac pair with a pretty lace leg and instep from the Vogue Socks 2 book. Made a teddy bear for my son, which I think looks pretty ghastly but he likes it! Made a jumper for another teddy, quite nice I thought with some fair isle on it. Made a furry feathery bag for myself in a rich purple colour, and have heaps of others on the go - a Katia jumper in Velour, need to finish a Waterspun backpack ... and the list goes on. I learnt to make socks, which I think was a good achievement and Kitchener stitch. Great forum, looking forward to summer knitting
Chrissy

Go to Top of Page

thevalkyry
Sustaining Member

USA
736 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2003 :  11:19:38 PM  Show Profile Send thevalkyry a Private Message
That is a good accomplishment esp as my friend calls the Kitchener stitch the 'beachner' Stitch

Go to Top of Page

Jacqueline
Gabber Extraordinaire

Australia
509 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2003 :  11:34:36 PM  Show Profile Send Jacqueline a Private Message
I think we should change the name of this thread to Knitting accomplishments over the Last 3 months - for those of us in the Southern Hemisphere who are currently freezing our Butts off!!!

In the last 3 months I have finished my first ever sock and almost finished my second (which is handy since I have two feet to put them on).

Finished a Jaeger Chamonix sweater, two Rowan Big Wool Sweaters and about 2 dozen scarves for who knows how many people!! A sweet little top in Rowan Lurex - which hasn't really worked out and i'm not sure what to do with it. I have completed half of My Big Knitting Basket - so I really must get back to that...and I have started a Rowan Denim jumper for the boy in my life - another project I must get back to.

As far as new things go - I have been knitting a few swatches to test the yarn - out of patterns from The Great American Aran Afghan ... so I have learnt quite a few new stitches. I'm just making my final yarn choice in the next fews weeks and then I will be off and running on that project. Also taught myself Kitcherner Stitch - but I think I need some extra practise.

Finally, in the next few weeks I am hoping to have a lesson on finishing techniques.

All in all - a productive winter for me! (Oh I meant to say - a productive 3 months for me!)

Jacqueline

Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut, that held its ground
Go to Top of Page

happyneedles
Seriously Hooked

USA
849 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2003 :  03:54:09 AM  Show Profile Send happyneedles a Private Message
I knit a lot this summer as I'm a teacher. It was great being home but now Labor day is just around the bend. Oh, well, there's next summer to look forward to! I finished two sweaters, the first my Rowan Summer Tweed. I like this yarn but was less than thrilled with the finished product. I went to a different ys than I usually go to for the yarn and was given terrible directions for the neckline. But the sweater is wearable just not exactly what I would have liked. I also finished a Noro Lily wrap around. I did an I-cord belt for this one.
I started a chenille scarf from Blue Heron yarns with I-cord edges, gives the scarf a beautiful edge. I'm doing a cabled turtleneck with my Karabella Aurora 8 yarn in celery, started working on my mom's Denim Silk in a ribbed lace pattern. This pattern is perfect for this yarn. It's Oct. 17 from the 365 stitches calendar. I had originally started this one in seed stitch and three quarters of the way up the back discovered it was too big and had to rip it out. Now I'm glad it's on the right track. And finally I started my Jamieson's fair isle sweater for which I learned two-handed fair isle yesterday! Can't wait to get into this! Two handed makes me feel like a machine! But the very best thing is all my projects are finally on needles, nothing (gasp)is in my closet which means, uh-oh, more projects to dream about. Just in time for the new fall magazines and yarns! Clara, could you let us know about your progress with the Studio sweater? I think it's a beautiful pattern. I love all the Hanne Falkenberg kits.

Go to Top of Page

Marg in Mirror
Permanent Resident

Canada
3205 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2003 :  05:54:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Marg in Mirror's Homepage  Send Marg in Mirror a Yahoo! Message Send Marg in Mirror a Private Message
quote:

I think we should change the name of this thread to Knitting accomplishments over the Last 3 months - for those of us in the Southern Hemisphere who are currently freezing our Butts off!!!

You've got it, Jacqui! Perhaps we could refer to it as the KR Quarterly Report!

-- Marg in Calgary

TLWKOTB
http://knitsonthebus.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

vicky by the bay
Permanent Resident

USA
4768 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2003 :  06:20:51 AM  Show Profile Send vicky by the bay a Private Message
Good morning everyone! My accomplishments for the last KR quarter???? Well I've started many projects. I've ordered many more. I've gotten half-way through my chemo YEAH!!!!! I learned the Russian Join (my favorite) and to cast on crochet style....I made my first pair of socks....pretty nice....my youngest daughter stole them from my sock drawer!
I joined the KR forum! I've become a part of a group of wonderful knitter and have learned so much and developed so much more confidence in my knitting skills. Now if I could just finish something substantial! So much has happened in the past quarter it's amazing! I believe I will keep coming back!

Vicky (Queen O'Yarn archivist-QYA)
Go to Top of Page

thevalkyry
Sustaining Member

USA
736 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2003 :  07:28:14 AM  Show Profile Send thevalkyry a Private Message
happyneedles: what is this 2-handed fair aisle? Sounds wonderfully efficient. Since I am doing fair aisle right now i would love to learn more about it.

Go to Top of Page

Marg in Mirror
Permanent Resident

Canada
3205 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2003 :  09:54:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Marg in Mirror's Homepage  Send Marg in Mirror a Yahoo! Message Send Marg in Mirror a Private Message
quote:

happyneedles: what is this 2-handed fair aisle? Sounds wonderfully efficient. Since I am doing fair aisle right now i would love to learn more about it.

I learned 2-handed Fair Isle last fall at Creative Stitches from a rep from Philosopher's Yarn. In fact, if I remember correctly, it's the technique they use in their "Fair Isle Simplified" book. You can visit their site at http://www.camillavalleyfarm.com/knit/wool.htm

You run one colour through the fingers of the left hand and one through the right, and it produces a very smooth, even Fair Isle.

Enjoy!

-- Marg in Calgary

TLWKOTB
http://knitsonthebus.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

thevalkyry
Sustaining Member

USA
736 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2003 :  10:51:00 AM  Show Profile Send thevalkyry a Private Message
hmmm... I will scope out your website, but I think this is something I would have to see done. I cant even envision it ...maybe because I knit Continental??

Go to Top of Page

tstrauss@saw.net

Posted - 08/21/2003 :  12:29:41 PM  Show Profile Send tstrauss@saw.net a Private Message
I finished a maternity sweater for my daughter. It fit so nice and was my first adult sweater. I took a class and the sweater is knitted and the next class is finishing. Knitting is so much fun. The holidays are looming and I can hardly wait to get going on all the gifts I plan to make.
Go to Top of Page

moonrat
New Pal

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2003 :  12:53:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit moonrat's Homepage Send moonrat a Private Message

As many of you know, this summer i finished my first pair of socks, so i learned to pick up stitches and more about short row shaping, which is way easier than it reads in a pattern. I completed Cleo from knitty.com, and a hat, oh, and a small purse. Is that all? could be, there was a hat that i froged 3 times before giving up on it for a little while. I split my time between knitting and metalsmithing, so i have been busier than it sounds, honest! You should see all the casting i have gotten done!

--Nat
http://www.evil-eye-emporium.com/aboutme.html
Go to Top of Page

PattiG
Permanent Resident

1119 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2003 :  1:40:48 PM  Show Profile Send PattiG a Private Message
Let's see:

I have a friend pregnant with twins and knitted a pair of hooded sweaters for them with matching teddy bears (actually I've only finished one of the two bears)

I have another friend pregnant and I knitted for her a sweater and hat set in primary colors with a matching ball and bear (trying to use up the yarn)

I knit two hats and a scarf for myself as part of a stash reduction plan.

Knitted a pair of bootees in light blue only to find out the intended recipient is expecting a girl...

And I'm cruising through cheesylove alongside a fellow KR member as is documented in another thread.

All in all, a very successful summer. I had lots of stressful things going on and knitting pulled me through as usual.

PattiG
Go to Top of Page

lamknits
Chatty Knitter

USA
201 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2003 :  1:51:23 PM  Show Profile Send lamknits a Private Message
Okay -- what a great way to brag, by invitation no less. FOs this summer: l large 3 color mult-panel afghan, 2 pair socks, 1 chunky baby sweater and matching blanket, one toddler's fairisle cotton cardigan, 1 very large triangular scarf in blue and purple novelty yarns complete with fringe and silver beads, one cotton-acrylic lace shawl in sage green, one medium sized gold lace triangular scarf, and one long skinny mohair and rayon ribbon scarf to wear with my winter coat.

WIP: one-half of a cotton short sleeved top in lovely teal alpaca(to be finished next spring).

Fall/winter knitting already underway: a double cable, seed stitch man's polo pullover, and, for me -- 1 fair isle vest which is knit in the round with a steek, from Tradewinds Knitting -- a scene with pine trees against a sunset (25 colors but you only use 2 per row); a Mexicali Ole baby sweater done in a variegated shiny mercericzed cotton instead of the repeating sock yarn, and a large rectangular glitzy black shawl for a charity raffle (this has got to be done by December). It's a wonder to me that I actually work full-time as a lawyer -- then again, I have to earn a little something to support this habit.

Go to Top of Page

marilydic
New Pal

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2003 :  1:54:26 PM  Show Profile Send marilydic a Private Message
Wow,

I just read through everyone's posts and you guys are busy! Somehow this summer just slipped away from me and I didn't get as much done as I would have liked...but then I also starting spinning last year and I spent time doing that this summer so that kind balances things out...

I got three charity hats done for Afghans, one child's jumper out of the new Rowan Miss Bea series, a purple v-neck tank for me, and well if we want to count early christmas projects done (1 out of i don't even want to count that need to be done)an afghan for my inlaws...

Now if we want to talk about startitis and many things I've started this summer...well lets put it this way, the started/needs to be worked on basket and knitting bags are full. I think I started two shawls, one pair of socks, one sweater, another tank top....ah well busy fingers are a good thing right

mari
Go to Top of Page

DietchGirl
Sustaining Member

USA
517 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2003 :  2:04:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit DietchGirl's Homepage Send DietchGirl a Private Message
quote:
I started a chenille scarf from Blue Heron yarns with I-cord edges, gives the scarf a beautiful edge.

Happyneedles, I'd love to hear how this comes out. I have some of this yarn (4 skeins of it) but haven't quite figured out what I want to do with it.

Felicia

"You have your own little ball of yarn but you always want mine." -my ongoing battle with my cat, Manny
Go to Top of Page

nmarshall
Warming Up

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2003 :  2:17:46 PM  Show Profile Send nmarshall a Private Message
Purlgrrl, Welcome to the clan! And what a clan - you guys are astounding! Does buying the yarn count? And then there are the books... And I've bought baskets to show off my stash (coming clean with the hubby). I redid the finishing (frog frog frog) on a bulky cable but miniscule sweater for my daughter, got Mousetrap knee sock (Interweave Knits) tried on by fishing friend (after two years of waiting, I'm now on the second sock), made flip-flop socks in neon varigated for daughter, a summer sweater for me, and I made a knitted shoe for Interweave project. I'm learning to hold my working yarn in my left instead of right hand - speedier knitting - thanks to Elizabeth Zimmerman and Knitting Without Tears. Thanks for asking, Nancy
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 2.48 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?