Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A new whodunit about a true yarn whisperer
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Summer knitting accomplishments
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

kdcrowley
Permanent Resident

USA
4773 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2003 :  2:29:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit kdcrowley's Homepage Send kdcrowley a Private Message
So far I have finished a pair of socks. However, I did handdye the yarn, so there!

I still have a sweater that I started and got away from due to socks. I also have a shell that I knit up and finished sometime in the last 4 months or so. does that count?

Kelley

Everywhere you go, there you are! Imagine that....
Go to Top of Page

Luvtoknit
New Pal

23 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2003 :  2:50:55 PM  Show Profile Send Luvtoknit a Private Message
Wow, this group inspires me by the amount of knitting some of you do.

I am still an beginner/intermediate and I have really been on a mission this summer to finish some of my projects. I finished a top-down pullover that I did in "Rio" which was a heavy rayon feels like cotton. I was dissapointed because it turned out huge(the pattern was way oversized)& totally the wrong type of yarn.
I took a "sweater workshop" & we had to do a simple pullover & I did it in Debbie Bliss "Cashmerino", I just need to finish sewing up the side seams. I did it in stockinette and it turned out ugly in that yarn.
I was trying to finish a Trendsetter tank done in "Sunshine" mistake rib unitl I realized the size was way off so I need to rip that out & start over-ugh!
My last project to finish is a short sleeved cardigan which is put together I just have to knit the borders, which I can't seem to make myself do. Perhaps because I used Tartelette in a much larger guage than I should have and its too stretchy. Its as if by finishing it I will have too admit that its a bomb-doesn't hang right etc.(I hate when that happens!)

Because I like things tailored & fitted I have learned that(although I always do swatches)I need to work more time planning prior to the start of my project.
That I need to keep within a "1/2" of the yarns recomended stitch guage.
I am going to try to stick to projects that I can see the yarn & the pattern made up until I get a little more experience under my belt.

I have become interested in lace patterns, so I did a couple dish cloths (the second is 1/2 finished).

We in San Diego have a couple months of summer left so I bought some summer yarn on sale (of course) and I am trying to knock off a couple summer tops. The one I am working on now has a lace bottom pattern from the Tahki(Spring/Summer 2003) with a cotton tape from (Ornagi-sp?)
Because I have "finishing issues" I am making myself finish this one before I start the next tank, perhaps that will help me stay focused??

Some of my project choices have been a little frustrating but I am pushing through and really trying to learn this craft, I love knitting-it soothes my soul.
Go to Top of Page

hobbitknitter
Permanent Resident

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2003 :  8:07:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit hobbitknitter's Homepage Send hobbitknitter a Private Message
Summer accomplishments? Lets see:

FINISHED:
felted bag
wash cloth
bath mitt
lotsa swatches
sweater
snake scarf (for lil' bro)
pillow
head band (total flop, it's awful!)
ALMOST FINISHED:
scarf
socks
another swatch

I think that's all, but you know, I've knit more this yeat than in all the 3 years I've been knitting, so I can't remember everything! :) :) :)

S. Eliz.
Keep on knitting on!
See my gallery: www.pagebypage.com/board/index.php
(In photo gallery pages, under S for Sarah Elizabeth)
Go to Top of Page

lamknits
Chatty Knitter

USA
201 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2003 :  04:22:07 AM  Show Profile Send lamknits a Private Message
Sure looks like everyone had a prolific and productive summer! Just think of all the knitting we could do if only little things like jobs, families, eating and sleeping didn't get in the way. I'm trying to get my fair isle 25-color-pine-tree-vest done in time for the retreat. It may end-up going to Virginia still on the needles. In moments of absolute quiet, I hear the soft sound of thousands of needles clacking away. Leslie

Go to Top of Page

draymer
Permanent Resident

USA
1484 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2003 :  05:36:41 AM  Show Profile Send draymer a Private Message
What a beautiful image, Leslie.
Debra

Go to Top of Page

happyneedles
Seriously Hooked

USA
849 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2003 :  05:52:26 AM  Show Profile Send happyneedles a Private Message
Thevalkyry-I could never visualize the two-handed fair isle either but that was because I didn't know how to knit contintenal until this summer. Maybe this will work for you cause you already knit continental. Two-handed means you knit continental with your left hand and and throw the second color with your left. You have one color in your left hand and another in your right hand which means you never have to stop to pick up the color you need. Makes it go much faster. It's fun too!

Felicia-even though I love the edge the I-cord is giving my scarf I know don't know if I would recommend it yet until I finish this. The I-cord makes the scarf pull in a bit and now I'm loosening up on the I-cord which seems to make it slightly wider than it is on the bottom. I'll let you know how the finished product comes out. Isn't the Blue Heron beautiful though? I have the Mossy Place colorway, what about you?

Sue

Go to Top of Page

weB2cats
Warming Up

USA
61 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2003 :  06:37:16 AM  Show Profile  Send weB2cats a Yahoo! Message Send weB2cats a Private Message
Slip-Stitch Knit Vest. The easiest, most fun way to get a lot of color and pattern into a sweater, sans Intarsia (never could handle that system, yet).

I don't knit much in the summer. It's been 90 degrees here almost every day!
Go to Top of Page

DietchGirl
Sustaining Member

USA
517 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2003 :  08:06:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit DietchGirl's Homepage Send DietchGirl a Private Message
quote:
Isn't the Blue Heron beautiful though? I have the Mossy Place colorway, what about you?
Thanks Sue. I had never even heard of Blue Heron until I went to Seaport Yarns. I fell in love with the garnet colorway (I'm a sucker for anything dark red) and just couldn't stop touching it (I carried it around the store with me ). Andrea (the owner of Seaport) showed me the tunic she was making out of it, which was just gorgeous. I'm leaning towards making a top, which I think could become my signature piece for the holidays paired with some velvet pants.

Felicia

"You have your own little ball of yarn but you always want mine." -my ongoing battle with my cat, Manny
Go to Top of Page

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2003 :  09:53:54 AM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message
Felicia , The fall issue of FCEK has a red tunic in it,is your tunic anything like that?

Zola
Go to Top of Page

mahoneg
New Pal

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2003 :  11:55:10 AM  Show Profile Send mahoneg a Private Message
A new knitting store just opened here about a month ago & their presence has re-motivated me!!

I finished knitting my son's sweater, just have to do the finishing on it. I also took another look at the Norwegian sweater I have been working on for some time and started a sleeveless fitted shell in Trendsetter's Sunshine yarn. I also ordered more yarn for a Christmas gift for my husband. Thank goodness the kids will be going back to school so I can get some knitting done!!

ooops--weren't we supposed to talk about stuff we finished??

Beth

Go to Top of Page

freckles
Sustaining Member

USA
821 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2003 :  5:52:14 PM  Show Profile Send freckles a Private Message

Well let me see I made a felted teddy bear and a felted sheep for baby presents. Finished a baby set to donate to charity (cardigan, baby blanket, booties, hat (had to frog the hat once and redo) -- I had started them back in May). Made "My Constant Companion" and another felted bag from the latest Knit It (the one with felted flowers on it). One crocheted felted hat. Currently waiting to be felted -- purse, another hat, mittens. On needles -- another teddy bear (to be felted also). I am currently in "production mode" for a craft fair in October. Also I should mention that for 2 months this summer I didn't knit at all because our puppy was too much to handle at the time -- now that she has grown up a bit I am getting a lot done -- as you can tell form above list of items.
karen
Go to Top of Page

Pinky Yarn
Permanent Resident

USA
1045 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2003 :  6:06:25 PM  Show Profile Send Pinky Yarn a Private Message
3 baby sets, booties, mittens, and a hat. 2 in red heart yarn, its pink. one in red heart baby terri (sp) its yellow. an attempt at a mitten, i sorta kinda forgot the guage issue and its huge, i get the concept...i think, i got all the way to finishing the thumb, this was with my knitting buddies over at TKGA's BB's help. I think i get how to pick up the palm, i kinda gave up though, its sitting in a plastic bag, my mom thinks its cute..im like um ok. i also finished a hat for my dad, scarf for my mom, pot holder for my step mom, my own pattern for a baby hat for my first born child, its pink and blue striped, i think it was LB jiffy. a hat that was a yarn user project, its pink and cream stripes, knit in the round. and a 12 in. by 12 in. 1x1 ribbed square in red heart baby clouds thats for a baby blanket. And i tried to use up my yarn stash...i learned seed stitch, never really tried it before this summer.. i learned some simple shaping. OH YEA!!!! i went to my *first* yarn store. The knitting workshop in chicago, its AWESOME!!!!! i bought my first wool yarn, and alpaca, i want mittens in the alpaca. and i think thats about it... and i wonder why my brothers hat is at the back of my to-knit list, hehe.

"what doesn't kill you makes you stronger"
Go to Top of Page

Marg in Mirror
Permanent Resident

Canada
3205 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2003 :  6:37:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Marg in Mirror's Homepage  Send Marg in Mirror a Yahoo! Message Send Marg in Mirror a Private Message
quote:

hmmm... I will scope out your website, but I think this is something I would have to see done. I cant even envision it ...maybe because I knit Continental??

Could be. A young friend just showed me the Continental method this afternoon, and it looked much more challenging to me than the British method I've been using (for over 40 years...) Still, I think you'd be able to master it. I believe they sell a video, which would likely give you the visual you're after.

-- Marg in Calgary

TLWKOTB
http://knitsonthebus.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ddelore1251@earthlink.net
New Pal

3 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2003 :  2:01:28 PM  Show Profile Send ddelore1251@earthlink.net a Private Message
I tried Noro's Kureyon Yarn this summer, to make one of the color-block type pullovers from the World of Nature book. It was great fun to watch these colors emerge, and plan which color to use next. I also made the little stuffed bunny from leftover yarn I had. (I ended up buying one more skein than needed, and used it up this way.) I am now working on an entrelac sweater (my first), using an old Vogue knitting pattern (W 91-92) and Manuku(?) variegated wool. I learned the technique at Knitter's Day Out last year. I also finished a short sleeve pullover, and a pair of socks. I've been having fun!
Go to Top of Page

happyneedles
Seriously Hooked

USA
849 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2003 :  6:39:58 PM  Show Profile Send happyneedles a Private Message
You can do it, Marge! Knit continental, that is. I never thought I could and I was sweating it out the other day in the lys trying to get the purl down. The knit stitch is much easier. But I did get it, never thought I could. Go for it!

Go to Top of Page

Susan T-O
Permanent Resident

USA
2481 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2003 :  8:28:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Susan T-O's Homepage Send Susan T-O a Private Message
Gosh, y'all are making me look like a slacker! I've learned to knit socks and have made three pair (one for me, one for my husband, and a pair of baby socks for my co-worker's little boy); learned to do basket rib while making (and finishing!) a scarf for my sister to give to a friend, and have started, frogged, restarted, frogged, (repeat for a total of 7 froggings) then thrown across the room a lace sock. Or rather, the cuff and one row of pattern for a lace sock . I have two projects in the works right now: a pair of garter stitch socks for DH's Christmas gift, and I'm casting on between postings for the square I'm going to stitch for the Healthful Throw.

However, please bear in mind before *tsk*ing my lack of productivity, I do spin all my own yarn, and that increases the time necessary to complete a project considerably. If I spin non-stop, I can spin a full bobbin in about 6 hours, another hour to ply, 20-30 minutes to wind it onto the niddy-noddy, then it has to be soaked and hung with a weight to set the twist. After it dries, then it's wound into a ball and I can FINALLY start to knit! A pair of socks takes almost 3 full balls of yarn.

--Susan T-O

I'm only smiling because you have all finally driven me insane.
Go to Top of Page

happyneedles
Seriously Hooked

USA
849 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2003 :  03:53:19 AM  Show Profile Send happyneedles a Private Message
Dietchgirl-the garnet tunic sounds beautiful. I've seen the garnet-what a color. I was thinking of getting that for a scarf for my mom. Your holiday outfit would be stunning! Where in the city are you? I'm in Bayside, Queens. Maybe we can scope out a yarn shop in the city one day. You can e-mail me if you'd like.

Go to Top of Page

momrnc
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
443 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2003 :  05:00:29 AM  Show Profile Send momrnc a Private Message
Susan T-O, I hope no one would *tsk* you for your "lack of productivity". After all, most of us have no idea what's going on in each others lives. I think your accomplishments sounded pretty impressive, especially the hand spinning (I loved the part about throwing the socks across the room--at least you tried socks--I'm not there yet!).

I think I'm going to add a nickname of "Guilt Free Knitter" to my name. I will not feel guilt due to the number of WIP's I have, how much yarn I bought, how much time I spend on the forum, how much knitting I did or didn't do today, etc. Anyone feel the same?

Kathy
Guilt Free Knitter

Go to Top of Page

thevalkyry
Sustaining Member

USA
736 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2003 :  06:22:23 AM  Show Profile Send thevalkyry a Private Message
Kathy: You go girl!!! An attitude for everyone to adopt!

Go to Top of Page

vicky by the bay
Permanent Resident

USA
4768 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2003 :  06:24:11 AM  Show Profile Send vicky by the bay a Private Message
quote:

I tried Noro's Kureyon Yarn this summer, to make one of the color-block type pullovers from the World of Nature book. It was great fun to watch these colors emerge, and plan which color to use next. I also made the little stuffed bunny from leftover yarn I had. (I ended up buying one more skein than needed, and used it up this way.) I am now working on an entrelac sweater (my first), using an old Vogue knitting pattern (W 91-92) and Manuku(?) variegated wool. I learned the technique at Knitter's Day Out last year. I also finished a short sleeve pullover, and a pair of socks. I've been having fun!

Welcome to the forum! You have found the best place in the world for knitter's! I love it here and I'm sure you will also! Everyone is so friendly, helpful, and generous in sharing their experience with others. I am a new knitter....I have learned more since becoming a member of this forum than from all the many books and videos I own. I am sure since you've been knitting since you were a girl scout that you have tons of experience you can share w/ the newbies on the forum. I look forward to picking your brain for some of that experience!!!! Welcome!

Vicky (Queen O'Yarn archivist-QYA)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.98 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.