Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Introduce yourself!
 How did u start knitting??
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Lyntintin
New Pal

40 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2003 :  8:34:21 PM  Show Profile Send Lyntintin a Private Message
I loved reading abt how everybody got started with knitting, from learning from our moms/grandmothers to teaching ourselves. Its made me really think abt how I started. I was abt 9 when my mom taught me to knit. She was teaching her youngest sister and taught me as well. We learned how to make garter squares to put into an afghan. I got bored with that FAST. Later on when she was making an afghan for a friend she showed me how to purl. So now I could knit and purl but there wasnt anything I could really make. We lived in Miami FL so scarves werent exactly a necessity! When my mom died, I kept all her knitting stuff just because I couldnt imagine parting with it. I pulled it out when I was abt 14 or 15 and made a barbie coat (which I still have) and taught myself the basket weave pattern so I could finish the afghan squares she was in the middle of working on when she died. I watched her so many times that it wasnt that hard to pick up. I put that afghan together, some parts with yarn and some parts in THREAD!! I still have that afghan and will NOT pull out those stitches either.

I stopped for a long time, got married and moved to NY and was looking for something creative to make. Saw an easy sweater pattern on the cover of a Family Circle magazine and bought it to try. It was a cabled pull over sweater that turned out pretty well. I started another cotton sweater but when we moved back to FL it went back into the closet. I was now into cross stitching. It wasnt until my son was 2 that I got back into knitting. I made him a vest that he got to wear for 2 winters!! Now I'm just playing with yarns and patterns. I've made a tote bag, started 2 different baby afghans which have ended up as scarves for my kids since I wasnt happy with the yarns chosen, and ONE tube sock. I want to make a hair scrunchie, a soft cotton sweater for my son and a jumper for my daughter. Then I want to learn to make socks.

Whats funny is that I really havent made alot, but I feel like I've been doing it for so long. I think the reason I like knitting is because it reminds me of my mom. The only other knitter in the family was my aunt and she also just recently died. I got her stash too, including a sweater that needs to be finished. As long as I dont use thread to sew it together, I should be able to finish it!!
Go to Top of Page

kitty
New Pal

Canada
15 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2003 :  10:16:02 PM  Show Profile Send kitty a Private Message
My mother tried to teach me some years ago but I hadn't the patience then.
After my second son was born I had the urge to create something one night (oh those long sleepless nights), so i found a pattern for a dishcloth online and not having any needles I improvised with the ends of a couple of paint brushes. Then of course I needed yarn...so I found an old sweater I wasn't particularly fond of and deconstructed it.
Obsession in the making?? you could say that!

Well it's four years later and my son still doesn't always sleep through the night, but now I have a little basket with a sock or some other easy project to work on in the near dark while I sing him back to sleep.
sigh...these are the "salad days".

Go to Top of Page

michelle
Chatty Knitter

United Kingdom
235 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2003 :  12:28:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit michelle's Homepage Send michelle a Private Message
My mum taught me to knit when I was about 8 - 10 years old - she did lots of crafty things - patchwork, crochet, sewing etc, and made many of our clothes.
I can remember I never really got the hang of it - probably because I was left handed, trying to learn from my mother who is right handed. I did manage to make a sleeveless top though (two garter stitch squares joined at the shoulders and sleeves). Mum continued to knit though my teenage years, and I remember picking out yarn with her to make things for me (this was the eighties when knitting was very popular in England, and there was lots of great yarn and patterns available )- at that time I had decided knitting was too difficult for me so had given up trying.
Then about four years ago, when I was pregnant, I saw a cute Debbie Bliss pattern for a baby cardigan in a women's magazine, and decided to give it a go. I didn't have a clue about gauge etc, and decided to substitute entirely to wrong yarn as I couldn't find the recommended yarn. I soon realised that it was turning out way to big. I decided to start again with the correct yarn which I found in a different shop. I found I remembered how to cast on and off, and the knit stitch, but not how to purl, so I bought the Debbie Bliss book 'How to Knit' and I was away. I would knit on the train to work, looking up how to do each different technique as I got to that part of the pattern (this was a basket weave stich cardigan with button holes and a short row collar - so there was a lot to learn!) It turned out great, and I haven't stopped knitting since!
Michelle

http://www.retroknits.com
http://www.stores.ebay.co.uk/retroknits
Go to Top of Page

bare49@hotmail.com

Posted - 09/12/2003 :  09:22:08 AM  Show Profile Send bare49@hotmail.com a Private Message
I learned to knit from my best friend's mom when I was 8 but quickly abandoned it for boys. ..picked it up again in the 60's like any good hippie and continued after my children were born until they lost interest in handmades...about two years ago, the next generation appeared in the form of grandchildren, so I started again...now I'm teaching and growing a small business selling hand knit baby clothes and accessories - perfect work for me!
Go to Top of Page

Joann1216@aol.com
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2003 :  1:43:03 PM  Show Profile Send Joann1216@aol.com a Private Message
Hi Everyone,
I learned to knit from my Mom when I was 12 and though it was so boring. I did manage to knit a sweater, to fit someone who had at least arms that were 7 feet long. So I said good bye to that hobbie for a very long time. During that absence, I grew up became a young women and married. During my marriage I needlepointed, and fell in love with counted cross stitch. My husband always loved when I counted cross stitched he said"keep cross stitching, it keeps you out of the mall". On 9/11/01 my husband was killed at the WTC #2. I have not cross stitched since. I tried but it is too painfull. So I decided to pick up knitting again, since I work at a hospital I stared while my husband was alive knitting premie hats. Now I knit baby sweaters, hats, and mitts. Which I must say must have been the right time, because I now LOVE KNITTING. I am going to retire shortly and try to start a knitting business from home. If anyone can help me with that i would appreciate the advice. I am trying to create a future for myself now and knitting has given me that opportunity. This is my story.
Joann1216@aol.com
Go to Top of Page

Marg in Mirror
Permanent Resident

Canada
3205 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2003 :  6:51:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Marg in Mirror's Homepage  Send Marg in Mirror a Yahoo! Message Send Marg in Mirror a Private Message
Oh, Joann! Welcome to KR -- from a fellow stitcher, quilter and knitter. Can I give you a hug?

-- Marg in Calgary, Alberta

TLWKOTB
http://knitsonthebus.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Rounds
New Pal

28 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2003 :  9:31:19 PM  Show Profile Send Rounds a Private Message
In January of this year a friend sat next to me and taught me how to cast on and knit and purl using the Red Heart kid needles. She spent an hour with me and then had to leave. After that one hour lessong I checked innumerable books out of our local library system and later discovered they had a few videos as well. I played with a skein of off white worsted weight acrylic that I'd bought at Walmart.

Then I got an email from Lion Brand yarn that gave a pattern for a prayer shawl and it mentioned prayer shawl ministry. I was intrigued! I had wanted to learn to knit with other women and wanted to share knitting times with women at church but didn't have the reason that I was looking for - a reason to knit, not just to make something for ourselves.

That email put my search for a reason to end. I shared the pattern and idea with ladies in my Bible study and didn't get a response until months later, mid-winter. They brought me samples of what they'd crocheted or knitted. Wow! They wanted to start a group!

At that time I had crocheted the four shawls that I had since made and as I was feeling the boldness to start a prayer shawl ministry I knew I needed to know how to knit in case I had to teach others. So...... I spent many evenings knitted, ripping it out, re-knitting, ripping it out, etc. until I felt I had a feel for knitting and purling.

I'm left handed but knew that since I'd not knitted until this year that my brain didn't know a right hand craft from a left one until it was already learned so I had that friend teach me to knit right handed and never had trouble with learning it that say. (I crochet right handed too)

I love the feel of knitted work far more than crochet. I'm so happy to know how to knit. I've knitted several shawls, a tea cozy, scarves, and just finished a knitted backpack purse (a Lion Brand easy pattern they featured last month). I want to make a felted tote soon...

Today I went into our one and only local yarn shop and was overwhelmed by the beautiful yarns they had. I looked at the books and magazines they had for sale or browsing for ideas. I bought some bamboo needles to use for knitting dishcloths since my aluminum ones are too slippery for the cotton yarn I use. I have worked with them tonight and LOVE them. (they were more than 1/2 price as the store is now selling a different brand of bamboo needles). This was my first yarn shop visit ever!

I plan to take a class at this store but will likely try to figure out the felted tote by learning online.

I am one of those who learns from reading - online, books in hand, magazines, etc.

By the way, I have 20+ ladies making prayers shawls at my church. The group began because one young mom/attorney offered to teach anyone to knit. With her willingness to help I knew I could start a group. I could teach crochet if needed and she could teach knitting. Our first month we had 7 total gather. Now we have 16 and up. One month we had a grandmother learn to crochet while her granddaugher learned to knit. Another month a mother re-learned to knit while her daughter learned to knit for the first time. We have friends, strangers, and women needing a stress relievers, plus those in search of a chance to be with other women. It has been a blessing!

I am about to finish a book Knitting Lessons that refers to this website so I had to come by and read up the recent posts. I think I have found another needle art that I will practice for the rest of my life.

Enough about me...I've enjoyed reading your beginnings, too!
Denise in the yarn desert of Oklahoma
Go to Top of Page

maisymae_99@hotmail.com

Posted - 09/13/2003 :  4:30:23 PM  Show Profile Send maisymae_99@hotmail.com a Private Message
I started knitting to quit smoking. I used to knit a long time ago. But now with all the wonderful fibers out there I am having a blast and have stayed away from ciggs for almost a year.
maisymae_99
Go to Top of Page

cwaigner

Posted - 09/14/2003 :  10:33:11 AM  Show Profile Send cwaigner a Private Message
]

What a fun topic! Okay, here's my story to share:

My earliest memory of my mom is sitting with my arms out while she wound from endless skeins of greens for a crocheted afghan. Must have been five. Mom crocheted all her life, doilies, tablecloths, wall hangings, wreaths for the front door, and dozens of afghans. So I crocheted off and on for years, also sewing, quilting, cross stitch, crewel, and needlepoint. I guess I did almost anything you do with a needle.

When Mom died ten years ago, I inherited most of her stash. It was almost all acrylic and designed to be used in her multicolored crafts and afghans --- you know, one skein each of several yellows kind of thing. Got me to pick up the crochet hook again, though, and I afghaned my way through years of being single again.

I remarried in 2001 and my new MIL knitted. I saw simple directions for a garter stitch scarf in an issue of Real Simple magazine, and asked her to help me a bit. That simple act created a monster! I am now truly an addict, amassing a stash of luscious real wool, buying books and tools, and taking my knitting everywhere with me. Always have at least four projects going, including a pair of socks to do in dr's offices or waiting for the show to start.

My DMIL was taught by her MIL, and now I find I am teaching my DDIL. Who says MILs are evil?

What I've found is that knitters are a community. We share, we teach, we give and find peace in knitting. Peace to you all.

Carol in North Waldoboro, ME

P.S. Found that green afghan in Mom's things, and have it still!

Carol in N Waldoboro ME
Go to Top of Page

PattiG
Permanent Resident

1119 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2003 :  11:16:01 AM  Show Profile Send PattiG a Private Message
I was inspired to learn to knit by a New York Times column about five years ago, when the "Hers" column still existed. Wish I kept it. I'll surf around and see if I can find it online. My knitting teacher, Annie, inspired me to keep trying even when I was terrible at it at first. She's a cool woman, and she taught me that knitting can be artistic, social and intellectually challenging, not just a way to pass the time after a long day at work.

PattiG
Go to Top of Page

shandido
New Pal

4 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2003 :  6:08:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit shandido's Homepage Send shandido a Private Message
when I lived in Germany as an exchange student, my 2nd host mom taught me to knit, and I made one scarf, which I gave to this cute little 11 yr old punk rock boy who had a crush on me. Then I forgot all about knitting til I was pregnant with Alice, eleven years ago. I was working at this deli, and there were all these knitting ladies there, and so I started again. When I was just re-learning, out of a basic pamphlet, this woman behind me on the bus leans over and says with a sheepish smile, "I think you hold the needles this way..."
And now I really enjoy teaching others to knit!

-shan
http://www.knittingpages.com
http://www.knitreviews.com
Go to Top of Page

purlewe
Permanent Resident

1924 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2003 :  7:19:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit purlewe's Homepage Send purlewe a Private Message
Great topic!

I learned to knit last December. I came upon it completely by accident. My Aunt had just wandered into the Dutchess County Wool Festival (http://www.sheepandwool.com/) in upstate NY last october. They had just bought a hay farm and they decided they wanted to think about getting some animals. They ran into the Morehouse Merino wool farm (http://www.morehousemerino.com/) there and continue to talk to them about someday getting their own sheep.
But of course you can't go into their lovely store without buying their fabulous wool!! My mother went with them to see their farm and both her and my aunt decided to take up knitting again. My christmas present? a first time knitter's kit complete with 2 skeins of their lace-weight wool. My mother taught me in the car. And I would go to my aunt's house on weekends during the winter to learn a new stitch or how to fix or finish projects. It really helped me this winter as I was going through a divorce and needed something to get my mind off my troubles.
It is kind of funny seeing how I am coming to knitting so late. I've been doing needle crafts since the age of 9. Never really got into sewing unless it was by hand. Became a photographer and practically can do any craft I learn. Even tried (and loved!!) making blown glass. But knitting has really been a good thing for me. Right now I am in the midst of felting about a million bags. I have made 3. And I love knitkit.com and Ms. Scanlon's patterns. she really has broadened my horizons and I'm now thinking about making some of my own designs. I'm dog sitting this week and need to take a train for 2 hrs each day. Talk about knitting time!
I guess I am lucky the way knitting came into my life. But I'll admit I am now spoiled. I went into a craft store the other day and made a beeline for the knitting. UGH! definintely not a LYS since they are trying to hawk every item under the sun in there.. but it was the yarns that disappointed me the most. all itchy and fiber-glassy. it made my skin crawl. Perhaps getting me started on something as luxurious (both in texture-feel and in PRICE) as merino was not a good idea, but now I am hooked for better or worse. And since I am felting I would rather stick to those natural yarns anyway.
I live in CC Philly and have 3 wonderful LYSs that I know. I like each one for different reasons. But I think it is interesting that each shop not only has it's only feel and rhthym, but that they all have their own particular brand of say.. needles that they think are the best. I am glad that since I have 3 shops to bounce around in I can try different things and see if I like them without feeling like I have to order them online without seeing them. But I'll admit I sometimes just save up my money and goto Morehouse Merino because their yarn is so special to me.
My aunt and I dream about the day she has her lambs (hopefully this next spring) and we can start learning how to spin and dye etc. I guess it will just add another layer to my new obsession!!

Does anyone else feel this way about a certain yarn or pattern since it was their first experience with knitting?

see ya!
purlewe

Go to Top of Page

vicky by the bay
Permanent Resident

USA
4768 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2003 :  7:36:18 PM  Show Profile Send vicky by the bay a Private Message
WOW!!!! I haven't read this thread in quite awhile!!!! WELCOME to all you new members!!! DaisyMae, congrats on stopping smoking....that's one of the reasons I picked up knitting last december...to cut down on my smoking. I was injured and couldn't work...found myself smoking 1 1/2 - 2 packs daily!!!! So I had knit a little as a young girl 7-8. Just a bit. So I went to Joann's and bought some yarn, needles, pattern, and a how too book! I have been in love ever since. This forum has helped...well, the people on this forum have helped me more than I can say!!!! Please everyone...keep coming back....the more the merrier!!!

Vicky (Queen O'Yarn archivist-QYA)
Go to Top of Page

cinder
Chatty Knitter

USA
252 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2003 :  4:35:28 PM  Show Profile Send cinder a Private Message
STARTED KNITTING WHEN I WAS ABOUT 10 AND FEW PIECCES LIKE SLIPPERS BUT HAD NO ONE TO SHOW ME MORE TECHNIQUES. PICKED IT UP AGAIN WHEN I HAD CHILDREN AND WENT TO TOWN FOR SEVERAL YEARS BUT BURNED OUT.
THE ITCH WS ALWAYS THERE SO I TRIED AND AFAGHAN FOR MY DAUGHTER AND I AM BACK FULL SWING. MY FAMILY THINKS I AM OBCESSED BUT WHAT THE HAY, I AM HAVING FUN. I THINK I WILL TRY SOME SCARVES AND HATS TOO.

MJA
Go to Top of Page

myshelle10
Permanent Resident

USA
2749 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2003 :  8:00:28 PM  Show Profile Send myshelle10 a Private Message
These are so fun to read! :)

I was working too much, and I thought I needed a "break". Then I was in a book store and bumped into Melanie Fallick's book on knitting for kids. I figured if an 8 year old could learn from a book, so could I.

I was wrong!! LOL

Then as I asked around I found out that some of my friends knit-- and I'd never known. So they showed me... and from there I've been able to figure a lot of things out from books or at whatever LYS is local at the time... :) It's been a wonderful break, and a creative outlet too!

myshelle
Go to Top of Page

Amikolee
New Pal

Malaysia
45 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2003 :  9:56:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Amikolee's Homepage Send Amikolee a Private Message
Started knitting when my husband (at that time the title was "boyfriend")has confirmed his place in Hawaii Pacific University. Though Hawaii's weather is not as cold as other parts of US, and I am not sure whether they need those kind of knit sweater, gloves, scarf etc. But I have decided to knit something simple for him to bring along, just like bringing me along

Quickly I went to look for a shop where I can learn to knit. But not many here in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia where we can do this. I saw this small shop which only occupied half of the shoplot. I went in, and happy knowing that I can learn at this shop. I told the lady name Adeline. I want to knit something simple so that I can complete it on time. She suggested a scarf. Great! I choose the yarn and needles, here I go......and managed to complete it in time.

The scarf was the only "item" I knit at that time, after he left to Hawaii I just hate to knit, because when I saw those knitting stuff it brought back so much sad memories, knowing that he was so far away. I missed him so much. So, I never continue after the scarf and keep the needles and left over yarn.

After sometimes, I can't even remember where are those things. Last year, my sister in law asked me whether I still have my needles with me. I tried to find but I can't!! So she bought herself some new needles and start knitting a vest for her boyfriend. And suggested why don't I knit again. I told her I will consider and think about it. After a month or so, I decided to knit again and went to another shop which is much better and well known here in Kuala Lumpur. Was looking for Adeline again but she has shifted, when I found the shop in the shopping mall, the shop was closed for a week. And I can't wait and end up at this current place which is better. I bought the whole set of new knitting stuffs. Suprisingly, I found my "OLD" needles back at my sister's home. She called me and told me, your needles are with me~

Now, I get addicted with this "SAD AND GOOD MEMORIES" thing~

Cheers, Chermaine Lee

Go to Top of Page

vicky by the bay
Permanent Resident

USA
4768 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2003 :  10:24:43 PM  Show Profile Send vicky by the bay a Private Message
Chermaine...Loved your story...I bet your "boyfriend" didn't need that scarf in Hawaii!!!! Maybe he just used it as a pillow!!!

Vicky (Queen O'Yarn archivist-QYA)
Go to Top of Page

Amikolee
New Pal

Malaysia
45 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2003 :  11:32:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Amikolee's Homepage Send Amikolee a Private Message
Vicky, hahahhaha you are so cute and wonderful~
Wish you best of health

Cheers, Chermaine Lee

Go to Top of Page

Endolady
New Pal

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2003 :  09:07:51 AM  Show Profile Send Endolady a Private Message
I started knitting because of a friend, Rebeca (of http://skinnyrabbit.com). I was fascinated when she started her knitting website and decided I wanted to try and teach myself. Up until recently, I was only knitting scarfs (I was too intimidated to try anything else) but recently I knit a thong (for fun) and now I'm having a go at a simple hat pattern. Eventually, I'd like to try something big like a sweater, but I'm not sure I'm ready for that yet.

Go to Top of Page

Ruby De Da
New Pal

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2003 :  4:22:15 PM  Show Profile Send Ruby De Da a Private Message
Started when my grandmother taught me to crochet at age 9 on a summer morning. She really knew what she was doing.

Ruby De Da
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.8 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.