Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Thank you NMYFOM and Guilt Free Knitters
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

draymer
Permanent Resident

USA
1492 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2003 :  11:48:15 AM  Show Profile Send draymer a Private Message
I have not purchased anything online for weeks. I no longer feel the need to spend hours on the internet checking for patterns and yarn. Of course, I went a little bonkers at Stitches Midwest and at my LYS yesterday (it was 15% off during the trunk show). But I have finished most of my WIP's, and I think I have discovered the difference between stashing and purchasing.

I'm looking forward to starting the projects I have recently purchased, but I'm no longer anxious about my stash. I don't need to cataloge everything, because I am not buying just to possess. And, the wonderful thing is, the boxes don't come to my husband's office when I buy in person!

Online, at work, was what I couldn't control. I feel much more in control, and thank all of you that participated in these 2 discussions. I now feel I can both fast (and I feel another one coming up) and enjoy buying yarn without guilt!

Thanks again.

Debra

momrnc
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
443 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2003 :  1:49:31 PM  Show Profile Send momrnc a Private Message
Good for you Debra! I know what you mean about a "fast". I have in the past month bought lovely yarn for 4 new projects (without a twinge of guilt) and am now looking forward to working on those projects. I'm in a "knitting with yarn" mode instead of "shopping for yarn". Of course that could change at any time!!

Isn't it great to have a place to go for support when you need it.

Kathy

Go to Top of Page

thevalkyry
Sustaining Member

USA
736 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2003 :  7:28:19 PM  Show Profile Send thevalkyry a Private Message
Good for you Debra!! Doesnt it feel good to wittle down that WIP list??

Go to Top of Page

Marg in Mirror
Permanent Resident

Canada
3205 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2003 :  8:41:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Marg in Mirror's Homepage  Send Marg in Mirror a Yahoo! Message Send Marg in Mirror a Private Message
Ditto, Debra. I feel pretty good too. This 'fasting' thing has spread to my quilting, and I am trying to make things with my fabric stash. I haven't bought 'new' for over a month, except the odd bit of background fabric in order to make something specific. It feels good!

I came close to breaking down on the yarn purchases today, though. I found "Sharon's Hand Made" shop (aka 'Sharon's Hobby Haven') -- a shop to which I'd never been before, as it is quite far from me though still within the city -- and I saw my first Berocco Cotton Twist, as well as my first Denim Silk. The CT was so *gorgeous* -- but I resisted!!

So let's keep it up, eh, Deb?

-- Marg (onward and upward) in Calgary

TLWKOTB
http://knitsonthebus.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

happyneedles
Seriously Hooked

USA
849 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2003 :  03:44:59 AM  Show Profile Send happyneedles a Private Message
I think, Debra, that it gets easier the longer you knit. You realize that yarn is always in style, it's not going anywhere which makes it easier to hold off on that "must have" purchase! Sue

Go to Top of Page

Luann
Permanent Resident

USA
2678 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2003 :  09:14:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Luann's Homepage Send Luann a Private Message
I too feel like the monkey is finally off my back. My husband and I just bought the home theatre system we have been talking about for years (HDTV is finally coming to our neck of the woods) and believe me, the money I DIDN'T spend on yarn this summer is going right to Sears for this system (along with a lot more money for yarn I'm not going to buy this fall!) I would not have felt good about this major purchase three months ago - but now I do. And I know I'm going to really enjoy knitting in front of the new TV. I really do feel so much more in control. When I do buy yarn, it's with intention and purpose, not just to fill some unbridled need to acquire. No more guilt, just love and yarn.

Luann

Go to Top of Page

momrnc
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
443 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2003 :  1:59:39 PM  Show Profile Send momrnc a Private Message
quote:
When I do buy yarn, it's with intention and purpose, not to just to fill some unbridled need to acquire. No more guilt, just love and yarn.

Amen and well said, Luann.

Kathy

Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4395 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2003 :  3:30:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message
quote:
No more guilt, just love and yarn.

What a beautiful thought, Luann! Thank you.

Jane
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.64 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?