Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Knit to Quit!!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Lelani
Permanent Resident

USA
2005 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2003 :  7:04:33 PM  Show Profile Send Lelani a Private Message
I have had 9 months of the smoke free life because of knitting. It has really helped to keep my hands busy.And yes God forbid, i was putting the wooden needle in my mouth on occasion!!!! ( I try not to do this anymore) I have tried many times to quit but when I rediscovered knitting i was able to quit for good and stay smoke free.Does anyone else here have a knit to quit story here? It doesnt all have to be from smoking!! Oh yes, I have saved over a 1000.00 by quitting smoking, however I bet I have put most of that money now in knitting classes, yarn, needles etc..... Oh well, its a healthier way to spend the money!!!!

Lelani

vicky by the bay
Permanent Resident

USA
4768 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2003 :  7:22:04 PM  Show Profile Send vicky by the bay a Private Message
quote:

I have had 9 months of the smoke free life because of knitting. It has really helped to keep my hands busy.And yes God forbid, i was putting the wooden needle in my mouth on occasion!!!! ( I try not to do this anymore) I have tried many times to quit but when I rediscovered knitting i was able to quit for good and stay smoke free.Does anyone else here have a knit to quit story here? It doesnt all have to be from smoking!! Oh yes, I have saved over a 1000.00 by quitting smoking, however I bet I have put most of that money now in knitting classes, yarn, needles etc..... Oh well, its a healthier way to spend the money!!!!

Lelani

Lelani....Wow! Congrats! That's why I originally picked it up. I had been off work a couple weeks due to a back injury and found myself smoking 2 packs a day!!! So I started to knit thinking I could quit. I even took a class and got the patch. Unfortunately, I failed this time. My MD told me it takes at least 6 tries before it sticks. He told me that after I picked up again. This was my 5th try...so maybe next time....Too stressed now to quit...even my MD says it's not the right time.... I will be joining you soon tho' Congrats again. It's such a hard addiction to break. People say...just quit. If it were that easy...there wouldn't be any smokers!

Vicky (Queen O'Yarn archivist-QYA)
Go to Top of Page

Pinky Yarn
Permanent Resident

USA
1045 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2003 :  7:28:50 PM  Show Profile Send Pinky Yarn a Private Message
congrats! I know u can quit soon as well!

-God bless, take care, and dont eat soap!
Go to Top of Page

klfrazier
Permanent Resident

1745 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2003 :  7:48:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit klfrazier's Homepage Send klfrazier a Private Message
Congrats! I have to say that's one of the most inspired uses of knitting that I've ever heard. Maybe it will work for dieting too? Thank you for sharing your story with us. I know it's putting ideas in my head - and it reinforces my own beliefs that knitting is very therapeutic.

Kristin

Go to Top of Page

Lelani
Permanent Resident

USA
2005 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2003 :  8:25:01 PM  Show Profile Send Lelani a Private Message
vicky, keep those needles clicking, you can do it I just know it!!!!

Lelani
Go to Top of Page

Lelani
Permanent Resident

USA
2005 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2003 :  8:26:46 PM  Show Profile Send Lelani a Private Message
klfrazier, I bet it could help with dieting as well. I think maybe I'll try that!!!!

Lelani
Go to Top of Page

thevalkyry
Sustaining Member

USA
736 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2003 :  10:46:56 PM  Show Profile Send thevalkyry a Private Message
That is aweome!!! Hats off to you!!

A good friend of my Dad's quit smoking 25 years ago ad she says every once in a while she STILL gets a craving. So just push through! It is possible to quit!

Go to Top of Page

Muffinski
Warming Up

USA
89 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2003 :  12:43:29 AM  Show Profile Send Muffinski a Private Message
Hi Lelani, Congratulations!! Having been a smoker and having given it up, I will say that was one of the most difficult things I ever did in my life. If you have gone 9 months, you are over the very worst part of it so just keep knitting and you should be OK. I had smoked for what seemed like a bazillion years and I smoked a lot ... over 2 packs a day. When my daughter was 3, I contracted pneumonia and it scared me enough to quit. I had attempted quitting before but I was never successful. I used knitting to keep my fingers busy. Part of the discomfort of quitting was not knowing what to do with my hands. I am pleased to say that my daughter is now 21 and I have been smoke free for 18 years. I feel much better as a non-smoker and I actually find smoke uncomfortable and distasteful now whereas when I first gave it up, I was actually trying to get close to other smokers to breathe in their second hand smoke. I can't even begin to think of the money I have saved over these 18 years. With the price of smoking now, I would have a difficult time working that into my budget. Keep up the good work and keep knitting! Bonnie

Go to Top of Page

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2003 :  12:53:01 AM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
quote:
People say...just quit. If it were that easy...there wouldn't be any smokers!

It's truly amazing how many non-empathetic ppl there are out there. They have no idea why someone should have difficulty with something they have no problems with (and somethimes even things they do have trouble with, but their problem is serious).

Boy that was a long and rambly sentence!

I'm one of those strange ppl who didn't get addicted to nicotine. I'm a social smoker. Quitting isn't a problem, it's staying quit. I find when I'm with someone who smokes, especially if it's my brand, I join them (I mostly smoke O.P.'s - other people's ).

Sometimes, habits are as hard to break as addictions.

Barbara

"I know we've got one SOMEWHERE"
Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4368 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2003 :  03:31:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message
Go, Lelani! Returning to knitting has been one (very important) part of my efforts to lose weight, and so far this year I have had major success. It's the routine, I think, and the fact that I don't want to put the needles down to snack. I need the focus and the feeling of accomplishment, and knitting gives me that. There's something about it that goes beyond occupying my hands, though -- but I'm not going to wonder about it too much. It's working. It must be harder to kick smoking because it's so addictive (not to say that food isn't a tough one, since we have to eat something!), so congratulations to anyone who can conquer the beast!

Jane
Go to Top of Page

klfrazier
Permanent Resident

1745 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2003 :  06:22:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit klfrazier's Homepage Send klfrazier a Private Message
I thought about this a lot last night after I went to bed, and decided that I am going to try to use knitting as a tool to help me stop my biggest dieting monster - stress eating. I tend to eat when I get mad/upset/irritable/nervous..... Last night I ate a half bag of dove dark chocolates worrying about the baby shower situation.

BUT, inspired by Lelani, I'm going to make an effort to pick up the needles instead of the chocolat when I start feeling that way. (I almost always know exactly what I'm doing.)

Thanks Lelani!

Kristin

Go to Top of Page

draymer
Permanent Resident

USA
1481 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2003 :  07:16:33 AM  Show Profile Send draymer a Private Message
Congratulations Lelani, that is real willpower! Kristin, I know you can do it. My stress eating choices are cheddar rice cakes - and you can't eat those while you are knitting! So I have totally given that up (and substituted another bad habit, yarn stashing. Oh well, that doesn't hurt anyone!) Debra

Go to Top of Page

girlgenius
Chatty Knitter

150 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2003 :  10:29:23 AM  Show Profile Send girlgenius a Private Message
Lelani - congratulations! I know what a feat it is, and I am heartily proud of you. Right on!

I quit almost 3 years ago - and knitting definitely helped. I started knitting again to keep my hands busy, then quit knitting for a year or two but didn't pick up smoking again - knock wood. I started knitting yet again a year ago and call it my new addiction, since I stress-shop for yarn, needles, pattern books and get positively beachy when I am away from my knitting for too long.

The time I quit before it became permanent (my 4th or 5th attempt, Vicky, I'm not sure which), I rewarded myself every day I didn't smoke with a 48 oz slurpee from 7-11. I gained about 8 pounds and was convinced that it's true that quitting makes you gain weight. What I wasn't considering is that I have only consumed diet sodas all my life and with the reward slurpee I was adding about 700 calories a day to my diet! Ya!

The time it stuck, I:
used the nicotine gum - that way I could respond to a craving (by chewing) rather than anticipating one (like with a patch). For me, being able to _do_ something to combat a craving was very important;

I bought myself a satelite dish, and made a rule that if I picked up smoking again, I'd lose the dish;

Started knitting and crocheting again - this definitely helped the stress and anxiety of being without cigarettes. Again, picking up something and working was a way to respond to a craving.

To Vicky and anyone else considering quitting - you _can_ do it. Do not beat yourself up for trying and going back. Just keep trying. I can't explain what it was, but the time I quit for good, I just _knew_ that I would never smoke again. I had a determination that I had never had before, and if I could tell you how I found it, believe me I would. I will just send out a wish for all smokers who want to quit that they find that determination too.
I run now, and I can't tell you what a genuine physical pleasure it is to feel my lungs, heart and muscles working in tandem without obstruction. It's not exacly a runner's high: I don't run more than 3 miles or so at a time, it's more of a profound contentment borne of discovering my healthy self.

You can do it!

Best,
Kate

Stumbling through the fiber arts
Go to Top of Page

Lori Jean (aka lj81)
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
423 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2003 :  10:35:52 AM  Show Profile Send Lori Jean (aka lj81) a Private Message
Lelani, I'm so impressed!!! Good for you! Keep it up. I was quit for five years and then was disabled and couldn't work, so I started again, quit again, and am still at it. I know knitting will help with the idyle hands, however, my difficulty with quitting has always been craving sugar, especially ice cream. I gained almost 20 pounds while I was disabled and have promised myself that as soon as I lose the weight (7 pounds down, 13 to go), I will lose the smokes!

Thanks for your post. It helps to know there are others out there who are struggling with some of my own issues.

Lori Jean "often times it happens that we live our lives in chains, and we never even know we have the key"
Go to Top of Page

sedgwick
Warming Up

87 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2003 :  06:18:14 AM  Show Profile Send sedgwick a Private Message
Many, many congratulations, Lelani. It is truly amazing how many issues we can confront when we keep our hands busy!

When I quit cigarettes were $0.35 per pack, and my $0.70 a day habit was hard to manage then. I can't imagine what I would do now.

But I won't find out because I vowed when I quit that I wouldn't start again. I didn't think I'd have the strength to quit another time. I have stayed quit for a long time, and I just keep knitting!

sedgwick
Go to Top of Page

pinkneedles
Warming Up

62 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2003 :  08:20:21 AM  Show Profile Send pinkneedles a Private Message
Smiling for you, Lelani. I am printing out your post to give to Amy, who recently has started doing a little thinking about her cigarette smoking. I don't know if Amy knits. If not, I am going to teach her.

Pink

Go to Top of Page

amdough
New Pal

13 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2003 :  09:19:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit amdough's Homepage Send amdough a Private Message
Congratulations Lelani!! That's a big accomplishment! Keep it up! I'm a social smoker like Barbara but I havent picked up a cig in almost a year and a half because I had a baby and am now nursing him. He's my main motivation not to smoke, I dont want that nicotine passing through me into him. Even still, I get the urge sometimes during stress. I'm proud of you and understand what a feat you've accomplished!!
I've been wanting to lose weight for a while now and have noticed since I've been knitting regularly that my eating habits have changed. I dont snack as much and I usually dont go back for that second helping at meal times because I want to get back to my knitting. It's hard to pick up that extra twinkie or cig when our hands are busy click clacking away at that new project.

Amy D.
Go to Top of Page

Parrot Girl
Permanent Resident

2129 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2003 :  10:14:15 AM  Show Profile Send Parrot Girl a Private Message
Congratulations! It's the hardest thing I ever did, but it was so worth it. 20 years in December after 15 years of two and a half packs a day.

Lori Jean, when I quit I was one of a group of four smokers at work. My friend Jan said she would quit after she lost 5 more pounds. Unfortunately, about six months later she collapsed at work and was diagnosed with lung cancer. She was very skinny in her coffin, but not beautiful. She was only about 45, and I still miss her. All I'm saying is, there's always a reason not to quit not, to wait until "insert reason here".

Anyone who's trying to quit, I am here as a representative of no willpower whatsoever, and somehow I managed. It was very very hard, and would have been much harder without support. Keep trying and you'll make it!

"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined." Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

niniw@mei.net

Posted - 09/05/2003 :  5:46:02 PM  Show Profile Send niniw@mei.net a Private Message
Just don't quit quitting. I smoked at least a pack a day for 32 years. Four years ago July 31st, I quit. It was ,without a doubt, the hardest thing I had ever done until I had to bury my father this past February. Knitting helped me get through both of these hard times. Don't laugh but cinnamon sticks helped me also along with my knitting addiction. Cinnamon sticks are wonderful when driving and in other situations when knitting isn't feasable. Kniting also helped me deal with my sorrow when my dad died. I just wanted to knit simple things and found a lot of comfort in it.
Anyway congrats and keep it up
Nini@mei.net
Go to Top of Page

lizzi
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2003 :  6:09:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit lizzi's Homepage Send lizzi a Private Message
I never smoked, so I didn't have to quit--but seven years ago I found out that my month-long headaches and god-awful cramps were due in large part to caffeine. I had to quit, and if there's something the average American high school student does NOT want to give up, it's caffeine. But I did it, and it was horrible. I wish I'd been knitting at the time!!

Lizzi
http://amimono.blogspot.com

"Adjectives on the typewriter, he moves his words like a prize fighter." Cake, Shadow Stabbing
Go to Top of Page

seagrrlz
New Pal

Canada
5 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2003 :  7:30:47 PM  Show Profile Send seagrrlz a Private Message
i agree that we can knit to quit!!!i quit in january 2002 and i've been knitting up a storm since...i always did knit but when i was first quitting the hardest part was when i went on breaks @ work..it was a social thing to go to the smoking area w/ my co workers ...i stayed @ my desk and knit during my breaks for the 1st couple of months...it really helped..
martina
www.geocities.com/seagrrlz
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.8 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by