Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Can felt be fixed?
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Knit to Quit!!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2003 :  7:59:48 PM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
Hi Martina, and welcome from a fellow Canadian. Where in the country are you?

One of the things that helped me was not allowing myself to smoke in the house (not with 2 small children). At the last house, we had a front porch, so it wasn't too bad, but this house doesn't have anyplace comfortable to sit outside, especially in the winter, so that made it easier. If I could smoke inside, I'd probably still be at it.

Barbara

"I know we've got one SOMEWHERE"
Go to Top of Page

esteffy@webtv.net
New Pal

3 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2003 :  8:34:18 PM  Show Profile Send esteffy@webtv.net a Private Message
To all who quit: congratulations! I tried several times- once for about 5 years, but always was seduced back to the "evil weed". Finally, about 4 years ago I was at Stitches West accompanied by 3 regular inhalers (maintenance) and 1 emergency one.(have lung something or other) Thurs. night just as market was set to begin I could not breathe.Had missed my class that afternoon because of breathing. Called the desk in a panic and to make a long story short, spent SW in the hospital. Made the last 30 minutes of market on Sun.
I have not had a cigarette since. If smoking interferes with Stitches, then it's time to quit!
Granted, there are times when Ifeel a twinge. But, I was up to a carton and a half a week, and there is no way I'll go back to that. I can still breathe- with the help of the inhalers and am not on oxygen, and can still knt up a storm.
So, for all you brave souls, congratulations on either thinking about quitting or trying. It takes awhile and some failures, but, you will get there. Love, Anne
Go to Top of Page

vicky by the bay
Permanent Resident

USA
4768 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2003 :  8:50:48 PM  Show Profile Send vicky by the bay a Private Message
Anne, Welcome to the forum! I see this is your first posting! I am so glad you found us. You're gonna love it! The people here are so kind/giving/ and willing to share their experience. I am a new knitter so I have learned so much here....much more than I could ever have found in the books I read. Anne, are you from the Bay Area? If so, we have a group of us that meet in the city....I live in the East Bay and take bart over. We would love to have you join us. Thanks for the stop smoking encouragement...I know I will be a non-smoker some day soon...esp. w/ the support available on this forum. Welcome and keep posting so I can reap the benefits of your experience!!!!!

Vicky (Queen O'Yarn archivist-QYA)
Go to Top of Page

helensara
New Pal

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2003 :  9:30:36 PM  Show Profile Send helensara a Private Message
I'm almost almost 80 and had smoked since I was about 22. Those were the years when we were all so ignorant about the hazards of smoking and the danger of second hand smoke. Eight years ago I was diagnosed with a cancerous growth in one of my lungs. The surgery was successful , thank God, and after I was discharged from the hospital I spent 10 days recuperating at my daughters...she surely wouldn't go out to buy me a pack of cigarettes!!!!!I live alone and could easily have gone out to buy a pack of cigarettes when I got home, but after living under the threat from both my daughters that they would never, never again sit waiting for me to come out of surgery,(this was my second bout of cancer- mastectomy) I couldn't possibly cheat. It was tough, unfortunately I gained much too much weight due both to my inactivity after the surgery and eating to compensate for smoking. But I'm alive to talk about it and fortunately have knitted for years,now I'm have knitting up a storm for all the new great-great nephews and nieces that have been born in my family. The craving for a cigarette still hits every so often, but I don't succumb!!!!!

Helen Kiken
Go to Top of Page

Lelani
Permanent Resident

USA
2005 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2003 :  10:06:06 PM  Show Profile Send Lelani a Private Message
Thanks everybody for your support. I see this thread has been a support for many people. Isnt knitting wonderful!! It has been a catalyst for so many good things in my life lately. As I sit here typing away I am using the nictrol inhaler to stay quit. I seem to always need something in my mouth. The inhaler has worked well. Have many of you seen it or used it? I have tried the patch in the past but that didnt work as well for me. I couldnt stay quit. Yes, I gained alot of weight as well, but as helen says, Im still here to talk about it. Such great stories of fighting the nicodemon(nicotine)with knitting!! Lets keep this up and not only will we all be knitting more, we will be healthier knitter's. We will have more of life to knit!!!!!

Lelani
Go to Top of Page

DebbiOH
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
525 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2003 :  12:34:07 PM  Show Profile Send DebbiOH a Private Message
Congrats to all of you for posting your efforts to become smoke free. I was intrigued by the topic because my reason for knitting was to kick a totally different addiction......the televsion. I work full time but still managed to come home and stare at the boob tube 6 hours before going to bed. I have come to watch an occasional movie on Sunday afternoons and the rest of my evenings are filled with chores, letter writing, lots of knitting and sewing. The knitting keeps me from munching salty greasy snacks and since I don't have to TV on anymore, the quiet time lets my mind unwind from the busy day in the office. I have also discovered audio book tapes. Love em! So, when I tell people that knitting is like therapy for me I hope they take me seriously. That television watching was sucking the productivity right out of me.

Debbi

Debbi
NW Ohio
Go to Top of Page

Lelani
Permanent Resident

USA
2005 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2003 :  10:22:08 PM  Show Profile Send Lelani a Private Message
Congrats Debbie,for kicking the long hours of the TV habit. Just one more thing to add to the list of the wonders of knitting!!!!

Lelani
Go to Top of Page

Heather
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
456 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2003 :  8:09:20 PM  Show Profile Send Heather a Private Message
I met a woman once whose knitting helped her quit smoking during the winter--she knit only mittens, not gloves, so she would have a very hard time holding a cigarette while wearing them. I guess knitting while quitting takes on various forms!

--Heather

How often I saw where I should be going only by setting out for somewhere else... --R.Buckminster Fuller
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?