Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Dyeing Discussion
 Color Theory
 Color Inspiration
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Wabbit CO

USA
Posted - 09/04/2003 :  1:03:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Wabbit CO's Homepage Send Wabbit CO a Private Message

I've got LOTS of wool to dye and I've ordered the dyes. Now I need the inspiration for the colors. (I'm dyeing 88 pounds of wool roving that will be sold. Some of it will be for my use.)

Where do you all get your inspiration for colorways? I thought I'd ask what others do. I normally just "play" with the dyes and hope for the best.

Marilyn

"Life is a banquet... and some poor suckers are starving to death!" Mame Dennis in 'Auntie Mame'

KathyR
Permanent Resident

New Zealand
2969 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2003 :  3:47:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit KathyR's Homepage Send KathyR a Private Message
Photos in magazines, leaves on trees and on the ground, sunsets and sunrises, sunshine on water (lake or sea), wind rippling a field of grass or corn... the list goes on! In other words anything that takes your fancy! When you are looking for inspirations your eyes suddenly seem to open wider and see so much more!

KathyR
Go to Top of Page

vizzyknits
Warming Up

USA
88 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2003 :  4:37:02 PM  Show Profile Send vizzyknits a Private Message
I like to be inspired by things in nature - sometimes I'll go out and snap some pictures w/ my digital camera in macro mode - anything from a clematis blossom to a moss covered rock in the woods. Then, if I'm happy with the shot when I get home I'll print a large print. It's amazing how many colors you can see when you do this - and Mother Nature has a great way with colors of course!

When I'm not inspired by nature, I like certain catalogs - Garnet Hill and Anthropologie always seem to have interesting and different color combinations to my eye anyway.

I've never tried dyeing, but it sounds like it would be a lot of fun. Enjoy!
Go to Top of Page

Pinky Yarn
Permanent Resident

USA
1045 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2003 :  6:42:28 PM  Show Profile Send Pinky Yarn a Private Message
i agree, look in nature, what colors occur naturally together. i know webshots.com has a lot of backgrounds that are really pretty. if u cant get to nature that inspires you. For some odd reason my mommy wont let me use dye..i guess when i painted that stained enough things, lol.

-God bless, take care, and dont eat soap!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.83 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe