Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A new whodunit about a true yarn whisperer
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 good grief!!!!!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hobbitknitter
Permanent Resident

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2003 :  3:52:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit hobbitknitter's Homepage Send hobbitknitter a Private Message
Hey, have any of you typed in your screen names on Google????
Gee wizz, I DID NOT relize that it'd come up with a lot of hits!!!!
Holy cow, that is amazing....
I typed in Vicky and got her, also Biodb8er and found out that she's on a chemistry forum....:) :) :)
Google knows TOO MUCH!!!!!!!!
Sarah

S. Eliz.
Keep on knitting on!
See my gallery: www.pagebypage.com/board/index.php
(In photo gallery pages, under S for Sarah Elizabeth)

vicky by the bay
Permanent Resident

USA
4768 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2003 :  3:55:03 PM  Show Profile Send vicky by the bay a Private Message
Oh no!!! Did it show you the sites I've been on lately??? Big Brother's watching!!!!!

Vicky (Queen O'Yarn archivist-QYA)
Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2003 :  4:03:32 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
There are eyes watching you!!! Beverley

Bev
Go to Top of Page

Susan T-O
Permanent Resident

USA
2481 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2003 :  4:46:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Susan T-O's Homepage Send Susan T-O a Private Message
Sometimes that comes in handy, though. I "met up" online with a friend I haven't seen since high school. I tried e-mailing him a photo so he could see what I look like now, but couldn't get it to go through. So I did a Google search, found a picture of me that a different friend had posted on his website, and just sent him the link instead.

--Susan T-O

Sometimes life is so perfect you just want to muss up your hair and quack like a duck!
Go to Top of Page

klfrazier
Permanent Resident

1745 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2003 :  5:12:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit klfrazier's Homepage Send klfrazier a Private Message
What's really scary is to type in your real name! Just try it sometime.

Kristin

Go to Top of Page

liebekatja
Chatty Knitter

USA
262 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2003 :  5:39:51 PM  Show Profile Send liebekatja a Private Message
I love Googling people through the Internet-- especially like old high school friends I haven't seen or heard from in ages. I've always thought that makes me sketchy, although I feel better about it now that y'all do it too!

Katie

P.S. Sarah, I'm about to go Google "liebekatja"...

Go to Top of Page

hobbitknitter
Permanent Resident

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2003 :  5:46:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit hobbitknitter's Homepage Send hobbitknitter a Private Message
purlgrrl comes up with a lot.....
I guess I shouldn't care, but it's a bit unsettling!
I wonder if the knitting garden's e-zine will come up under hobbitknitter when the patterns get up on the 15th...
PS I typed in my name "Sarah Elizabeth" and got something like 1450 results- no worries there! :)
Sarah (who is still a bit spooked)

S. Eliz.
Keep on knitting on!
Go to Top of Page

liebekatja
Chatty Knitter

USA
262 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2003 :  6:08:50 PM  Show Profile Send liebekatja a Private Message
Yeah, all of my links went back to this page. It was a little disconcerting that the URLs seemed a little different from this one, but I guess I won't worry about it.

Sarah Elizabeth, I didn't get a chance to say congrats on getting your patterns published-- congrats! That's awesome!

Katie

Go to Top of Page

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2003 :  6:51:47 PM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
I just googled (don't you just love it that google has become a verb?) sermom and it assumed I meant sermon. Got some interesting hits.

My real name brings me a congressperson from I think Buffalo. One hit, not me (unless I have a very long commute).

Barbara

"I know we've got one SOMEWHERE"
Go to Top of Page

Licensed2Cook
Permanent Resident

USA
3554 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2003 :  05:48:29 AM  Show Profile  Send Licensed2Cook a Yahoo! Message Send Licensed2Cook a Private Message
Yeah just think about all the forum members that use their email as their ID. Ooooh, that gets scary doesn't it?!!! Sounds like it's time for a change.

Dee
Go to Top of Page

momrnc
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
443 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2003 :  08:30:04 AM  Show Profile Send momrnc a Private Message
This all sounds alittle creepy. I'm afraid to try it--I might not want to go back on-line!

Sarah Elizabeth, I received an e-newsletter from Lion Brand this morning and they are having a contest for original designs and I thought of you. Have you checked it out?

Kathy

Go to Top of Page

hobbitknitter
Permanent Resident

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2003 :  09:39:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit hobbitknitter's Homepage Send hobbitknitter a Private Message
eekkk- entered S Eliz. on yahoo and I myself came up on the 1st page. Also did I ever really say, "I love to watch old sit com reruns..."????? Or are words being put in my mouth?
I should've titled this topic, "Ladies, my eyes are upon you. -Google"
:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
Sarah

S. Eliz.
Keep on knitting on!
Go to Top of Page

LinKnit
Chatty Knitter

USA
155 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2003 :  1:33:39 PM  Show Profile Send LinKnit a Private Message
Buffalo- that's my neck of the woods. It's too bad you don't live that close Barbara, it would be cool.

LindaM
Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4403 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2003 :  2:19:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message
That's right, forums are indeed a public domain. Google can't get at your member profile, or at least it shouldn't, but the rest of these forums (and most others) are pretty public. So do keep that in mind the next time you post the alarm code for your house...

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
Go to Top of Page

Lelani
Permanent Resident

USA
2005 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2003 :  3:03:52 PM  Show Profile Send Lelani a Private Message
Wow you are kidding, I had no idea that could be done on Google. It is very scary. Thanks for the heads up!!!

Lelani
Go to Top of Page

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2003 :  4:54:18 PM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
quote:

Buffalo- that's my neck of the woods. It's too bad you don't live that close Barbara, it would be cool.

LindaM

Yes, it would. We Cndns seem to be spread pretty thin.

Barbara

"I know we've got one SOMEWHERE"
Go to Top of Page

hobbitknitter
Permanent Resident

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2003 :  6:06:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit hobbitknitter's Homepage Send hobbitknitter a Private Message
Katie, thanks for the Congrats. Kathy, yes, I saw that in LB newsletter, but was uninspired- ie couldn't think of anything awesome. I think I'll wait till the next go around or so. Thanks for the thought! :)

S. Eliz.
Keep on knitting on!
Go to Top of Page

Angharad
Chatty Knitter

USA
117 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2003 :  07:44:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Angharad's Homepage Send Angharad a Private Message
Even scarier - if you Google your phone number, it provides a map to your house. You can disable it by clicking on the phone button next to the results.

I completely freaked out when I discovered that. I imagine I'd be even more freaked if I had kids.

Angharad

www.hotbadguys.com - A Tribute to Gorgeous Villains
Go to Top of Page

Eleanor
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
583 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2003 :  08:55:27 AM  Show Profile  Send Eleanor a Yahoo! Message Send Eleanor a Private Message
I put in my phone number and nothing showed up!?

Go to Top of Page

Shalee
Permanent Resident

USA
2046 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2003 :  09:35:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shalee's Homepage Send Shalee a Private Message
I put in our phone number and it came up with the name of the people that had the number prior to us! No wonder we get so many calls for them!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.8 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe