Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 OT--my kitchen
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Susan T-O
Permanent Resident

USA
2481 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2003 :  5:03:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Susan T-O's Homepage Send Susan T-O a Private Message
Hi all--

Waaaay back on Memorial Day, some of you may recall that I was having a crummy day and sort of vented here (not in a mean way, just being cranky). Well, one of the things I was upset about was how long it was taking the remodelers to finish my kitchen (they started on April 26). Get this--they are STILL not done! Can you believe it?? All that is left to do is deliver & install the base molding at the bottom of the lower cabinets, and also the four shelves for the pantry. We have been trying since June to get them to finish; every time we have spoken to anyone other than the receptionist we were told "we'll send those to production right away." For two months we were told this, then we started getting transferred to voice mail instead of real people, and our calls went unreturned.

Finally, on Aug 25 I faxed them a letter (also sent it certified mail with a return receipt) basically stating that I expected to hear from them no later than Aug 29 with an installation date, and that the installation date was to be no later than Sept 5. If they failed to meet those deadlines, then my husband and I would get someone else to finish the kitchen, we would consider them (the original remodelers) to be paid in full, and the matter closed. Not a word from them until *this morning* (Sept 6) when I get a phone call. The guy says he's the "new project manager" and looking at my file he sees that we still owe $860, what needs to be completed so they can get paid? I told him 1) that $350 had previously been deducted from that total due to two items not having been installed (and the installation was done in such a way that those items can't be installed without completely redoing one cabinet and the entire countertop) and 2) since they didn't meet the deadlines in my letter (which I know they got, as I received the return receipt back with signature & delivery date) then as far as I was concerned they were done and paid! He didn't seem to happy about that, said he would "look for" my letter (??!!) and hung up. Amazing, isn't it?

--Susan T-O, who is still shaking her head in disbelief over all this

Sometimes life is so perfect you just want to muss up your hair and quack like a duck!

klfrazier
Permanent Resident

1745 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2003 :  5:10:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit klfrazier's Homepage Send klfrazier a Private Message
if it makes you feel any better, we are having similar problems with our contractor for the house. We bought the house two years ago - brand new - with a one year warrenty. In that first year, several things happened. They did manage to get someone to fix the interior stuff, but the major things still need to be repaired. The retaining wall on one side of the house is leaning, and there is a big hole in the front yard thanks to a water pipe that burst six months after we moved in. They also owe us about $250 - a return for a light fixture that didn't come in (we had to pay for a new one out of pocket) and a reimbursement for the water bill. My husband has been making weekly calls for the last 6 months, and all the contractor keeps saying is that his guys are overscheduled.

Kristin

Go to Top of Page

hobbitknitter
Permanent Resident

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2003 :  5:51:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit hobbitknitter's Homepage Send hobbitknitter a Private Message
it's chronic, I think- almost all builders have it. If it really bothers you don't build a house in AL, you won't survive it!
Sarah (whose family and herself have moved out of their custom built AL home, which is yet to be completely finished.)

S. Eliz.
Keep on knitting on!
See my gallery: www.pagebypage.com/board/index.php
(In photo gallery pages, under S for Sarah Elizabeth)
Go to Top of Page

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2003 :  6:56:00 PM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
AL?

Barbara

"I know we've got one SOMEWHERE"
Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2003 :  7:07:59 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
Hi, Barbara: AL is Alabama I do believe.

Susan: Have you contacted the State Contractors Licensing Board in the state where you live and/or the Better Business Bureau? Also, do you have a local consumer fraud detail in the District Attorney's office and a local consumer advocate on a local TV station? Write letters to all of them and copy the contractor and get return receipts. Might make him move a bit.

Kritsin: Ditto for you. Did you buy your house from the contractor or through a real estate office. You can also go through the State Realty Board if you bought it from a realtor and the State Contractor's Licensing Board too.

Ladies, nothing ventured, nothing gained. Also, the best and worst advertisement is word of mouth. You could just bad mouth them to every one you know.

All of these people should be licensed.

Trust this helps some what. Take care. Beverley

Bev
Go to Top of Page

Licensed2Cook
Permanent Resident

USA
3554 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2003 :  05:44:17 AM  Show Profile  Send Licensed2Cook a Yahoo! Message Send Licensed2Cook a Private Message
I remember when we had our home built, there were a number of problems that we just had to ride them to get them fixed. One of them was in the masterbedroom closet. I was finding something to wear when I stepped in a crater, hidden by the carpet of course. When we pulled back the carpet to have a look there was a chunk missing from the sub-flooring that someone had tried to fill in with sawdust! LOL When I had them come and repair it the workman called me up to take a look at his "remarkable" craftsmanship and his attention to detail-he had filled it in with a cement compound and as a finishing touch he put a dime in the center. He told me he didn't have a penny so he used the dime. No way was I going to get him any change! LOL

Wow, I could go on forever entertaining you with their clever feats let's just say they ended when I told the supervisor that a two year-old with Playdough could do a better job of fixing things then this handyman, whom was soon fired after the incident and was seen out front "stalking" me for several creepy days when he lost his job.

Dee
Go to Top of Page

hobbitknitter
Permanent Resident

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2003 :  09:26:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit hobbitknitter's Homepage Send hobbitknitter a Private Message
Dee, that is funny....:)
EDIT: the first part of the story, I mean, not the second part. It must've been creepy, I agree!
Yep, AL=Alabama.
Sarah

S. Eliz.
Keep on knitting on!
See my gallery: www.pagebypage.com/board/index.php
(In photo gallery pages, under S for Sarah Elizabeth)
Go to Top of Page

vicky by the bay
Permanent Resident

USA
4768 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2003 :  09:42:08 AM  Show Profile Send vicky by the bay a Private Message
Dee, Stalking you??? How frightening....did you get the police involved? I had a horrible stalking experience right after separating from my ex...It was very frightening....what a creep...ended up in jail for 6 mos on our stalking laws. I haven't seen him since...hope I never do...I keep renewing the restraining order every 3 years!!!

Vicky (Queen O'Yarn archivist-QYA)
Go to Top of Page

Licensed2Cook
Permanent Resident

USA
3554 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2003 :  2:16:47 PM  Show Profile  Send Licensed2Cook a Yahoo! Message Send Licensed2Cook a Private Message
Vicky, stalkers are creepy. I am glad you are being prudent, I would keep renewing it if I were you. My stalker eventually got over it, he only lasted a week or so. He was just angry he lost his job, I know it wasn't my fault but he figured it was. He was shorter than me by a few inches I could've taken him and he knew it too! LOL

Dee
Go to Top of Page

Janice
Warming Up

USA
94 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2003 :  2:11:49 PM  Show Profile Send Janice a Private Message
Whoa! Stay on Dee's good side !!

Janice
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked