Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: We welcome a succulent Merino from Patagonia
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 waaah, can barely knit...
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Pinky Yarn
Permanent Resident

USA
1045 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2003 :  5:02:14 PM  Show Profile Send Pinky Yarn a Private Message
i need to complain..waaaah, i can barely lift my arm let alone knit! its really sore from band, i play the flute and they've been working us hard now a lot of things have been put on hold. aaah, stupid flute...now i dont even have knitting to calm myself down. aaaah! ok..needed to whine and complain. thanks yall.

-God bless, take care, and dont eat soap!

Susan T-O
Permanent Resident

USA
2481 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2003 :  5:26:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Susan T-O's Homepage Send Susan T-O a Private Message
Oh, you poor thing! Does it help if you prop your elbow on a cushion? Sometimes I'll rest my forearm against the edge of a table while I knit; it's a bit awkward, but it does take the "weight" off my arm. If even that's not doable, all I can suggest is that you admire your stash, go through your patterns, and dream of all that you will knit when band eases up. . . .

--Susan T-O

Sometimes life is so perfect you just want to muss up your hair and quack like a duck!
Go to Top of Page

Heather
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
456 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2003 :  7:51:20 PM  Show Profile Send Heather a Private Message
Oh, Pinky, my heart is pained for you! Last spring I went through withdrawals because I broke my wrist and couldn't knit for awhile. That's when I finally joined this forum because I was feeling so sorry for myself. Sure enough, I got lots of sympathy! So I guess in a twisted sort of way, that broken wrist was a blessing. But I don't know how your flute troubles can be a blessing. Don't quit playing the flute. The world needs as many musicians as it can get. But maybe when you knit you can try a wrist brace (from a medical supply place)? Depends on how much you need to move your wrist when you knit, I guess. Good luck, poor girl!

--Heather

How often I saw where I should be going only by setting out for somewhere else... --R.Buckminster Fuller
Go to Top of Page

vicky by the bay
Permanent Resident

USA
4768 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2003 :  7:57:41 PM  Show Profile Send vicky by the bay a Private Message
You can actually get a wrist splint at any drug store...even the larger supermarkets have them in stock. I got mine at a Super Albertsons here in Pinole. They make it so you can't twist the arm inappropriately. It can't hurt! You only have to buy one for the problem you're having. Shouldn't cost more that 7-10 dollars. Good luck and don't forget the motrin and ice...ice...ice!!!!

Vicky (Queen O'Yarn archivist-QYA)
Go to Top of Page

Pinky Yarn
Permanent Resident

USA
1045 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2003 :  8:09:54 PM  Show Profile Send Pinky Yarn a Private Message
thanks yall, its more of my left arm..like the font of my shoulder i guess? and my left hand, i know i hold my flute wrong and thats not good, messes up tendons i think *eek* i knitted for a little while with my arm on the arm of the chair, after the motrin kicked in (dont know what id do w/o it!) but i do get some time to think about what im going to knit and i played with my "stash" some, found some really pretty and soft yarn thats going to be a scarf for my mom. thanks for the sympathy! its really appreciated, most people just dont understand what knitting does for us knitters!

-God bless, take care, and dont eat soap!
Go to Top of Page

Marg in Mirror
Permanent Resident

Canada
3205 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2003 :  9:22:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Marg in Mirror's Homepage  Send Marg in Mirror a Yahoo! Message Send Marg in Mirror a Private Message
Pinky, if you tighten up through your shoulder(s) -- which could happen both due to stress and to holding your flute incorrectly (as you admitted)...perhaps you could try some massage therapy? I work on the computer (and then come home and play on the computer, here at KR!) and massage really helps.

-- Marg in Calgary

P.S. hope you feel better soon. Keep playing! We need flutists!

TLWKOTB
http://knitsonthebus.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

knittiegirl
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
389 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2003 :  06:18:02 AM  Show Profile Send knittiegirl a Private Message
Hi Pinky! I'm a former flute player (both concert and marching bands). I loved it, but I remember being screamed at to keep my flute up in marching band "no weird flute angles!" It used to be a killer on the arm. My solution? I switched to piccolo!!!!

Hope you heal soon - it may be a goofy idea, but I can actually knit lying down - maybe that would keep the pressure off of your shoulder? I sort of prop myself up on the couch with a pillow so that my shoulders are supported. It's the truest act of laziness, but the knitting has never suffered.

Best of luck!
Knittiegirl

Fall down seven times, get up eight.
Go to Top of Page

Parrot Girl
Permanent Resident

2129 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2003 :  07:13:56 AM  Show Profile Send Parrot Girl a Private Message
You have my deepest sympathy, if no suggestions! Over Memorial Day I spent three days in bed with horrible food poisoning, too sick even to sit up, let alone knit, and I missed it dreadfully. I could tell I was better when I could prop myself up and knit.

Can you figure out another way to hold the flute that won't cause that strain? Take care of yourself!

"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined." Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

hobbitknitter
Permanent Resident

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2003 :  1:16:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit hobbitknitter's Homepage Send hobbitknitter a Private Message
Oh, I feel so sorry for you, Katie! I really hope you feel better very soon. I have a bit of the same problem with piano, but it isn't as bad!!!
Hoping you get better soon!
Sarah

S. Eliz.
Keep on knitting on!
See my gallery: www.pagebypage.com/board/index.php
(In photo gallery pages, under S for Sarah Elizabeth)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.86 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe