Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Translations
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Annemieke
Chatty Knitter

Netherlands
185 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2003 :  10:59:36 AM  Show Profile Send Annemieke a Private Message
I come across many mentions of books that are being used with knitting.
Of course I don't know any of them, but occasionally people refer to "foreign" knitting books.I may not know all the English words, but I would probably be able to explain what is meant.
So.........shoot!
Annemieke

I don't want to prevent life from happening to me

Laura Ver
Seriously Hooked

656 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2003 :  12:29:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Laura Ver's Homepage Send Laura Ver a Private Message
What a nice idea I am happy to offer my help with French knitting patterns (as a French native I learned to knit with Jardin des Modes,Elle, etc)

Laura
Go to Top of Page

Sandra C
Gabber Extraordinaire

403 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2003 :  2:37:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sandra C's Homepage Send Sandra C a Private Message
Annemieke, I appreciate your generous offer; I will take you up on it. Are there certain languages that you are more familiar with?

Laura, this is not a translation question exactly, but a question about a French knitting pattern. Are you familiar with a knitted baby garment called a heartwarmer? At a recent gathering, an older woman (born in France) was talking about knitting "heartwarmers" for babies in her younger days. It seems that it wraps around the baby's torso to keep it warm, and since the heart is in the torso, that is where the name came from. But I have looked high and low and cannot find a picture or better yet a pattern for one.

Thank you,
Mrs. C.
Go to Top of Page

Hyacint
Chatty Knitter

Sweden
156 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2003 :  4:44:46 PM  Show Profile Send Hyacint a Private Message
I'll be happy to help out with the translation of Swedish patterns, such as these:

http://www.garnstudio.com/design/index.html

I can also decipher (sp?) most Norwegian and Danish patterns.

Lydia

Go to Top of Page

digknit
New Pal

USA
0 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2003 :  6:57:01 PM  Show Profile Send digknit a Private Message
Mrs. C - I recently knitted a "cache-coeur" from a free Phildar pattern (they have a few free patterns on their website www.phildar.fr), and I think this might be what your French friend was talking about. It's one of those cardigans that cross in the front, also known as surplice tops, kimono-style, ballerina sweater etc. I don't think the pattern is on the website anymore, and it didn't show a picture anyway.

Go to Top of Page

argus
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
595 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2003 :  7:12:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit argus's Homepage Send argus a Private Message
Hello Lydia,

I would like to take you on your generous offer: for a while now I tried to translate the following pattern: http://www.garnstudio.com/drops_46/46-07se.htm
This is a website, or you can go to garnstudio, and choose Dam (women's), and than side 12, first in the second row.
Thank you so much for your help!

I can translate patterns from russian.

Sincerely,
Tanya

Go to Top of Page

liebekatja
Chatty Knitter

USA
262 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2003 :  10:16:51 PM  Show Profile Send liebekatja a Private Message
I can translate patterns from German if anyone needs it... hit me up!

Katie

Go to Top of Page

Annemieke
Chatty Knitter

Netherlands
185 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2003 :  02:28:00 AM  Show Profile Send Annemieke a Private Message
This is fun!
My languages would be Dutch, French, German and English.
And now we have some native knitters in those languages, and Swedish and Russian as well. I wonder where this will end, we're becoming truly international!!!

Brei ze (have fun knitting)

Annemieke

Go to Top of Page

Laura Ver
Seriously Hooked

656 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2003 :  11:48:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Laura Ver's Homepage Send Laura Ver a Private Message
There is a classic pattern by Elizabeth Zimmerman, a baby sweater in garter stitch, that is a lot similar to the typical baby heartwarmer. I'll have to dig up the exact reference, but I know that Meg Swansen published an updated version of it in Knitter's Magazine a few years back. You can also order the issue of Woolgathering Newsletter in which the sweater first appeared at the Schoolhouse Press site. This one fastened at the bottom of the front with buttons.
I have also seen heartwarmer-type cardigan patterns in several of the Fall catalogues from yarn companies. Maybe this is the beginning of yet another retro-trend!

Laura
Go to Top of Page

frodosmom
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
480 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2003 :  12:20:27 PM  Show Profile Send frodosmom a Private Message
As a language buff (I majored in linguistics) I'm so happy to see that many of us want to help with translations.

That makes me wonder if maybe we could come up with a little dictionary of knitting terms in, say, half a dozen languages. It could be made available on line or even mailable. I would be willing to try this or to help. Anyone for doing such a reference guide?

Margaret

Go to Top of Page

Annemieke
Chatty Knitter

Netherlands
185 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2003 :  12:30:27 PM  Show Profile Send Annemieke a Private Message
GREAT!!!
That way everybody could just look up translations for : K, P. PSSO, YO and so on and so forth.
Which languages do you suggest? We don't have anybody Spanish yet (but I do know they have georgeous knitting)
Perhaps: German, French, Spanish, ? Italian, and, and,.....?
Would it be possible to make this a new "item" as on the right hand corner of this page, Clara?

Annemieke

Go to Top of Page

Sandra C
Gabber Extraordinaire

403 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2003 :  12:48:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Sandra C's Homepage Send Sandra C a Private Message
Laura, Thanks for your note. It reminded me that I think I have that Knitter's magazine! I will post the issue number if/when I find it. So a heartwarmer is actually a cardigan sweater, right?

About knitting terms. I have right in front of me my copy of a paperback book, Mary Thomas's Book of Knitting Patterns. The original of this book was published in 1943, and mine (Dover edition) published in 1972. I purchased it for $9.95 at Borders within the last several months. Near the back of this book are two short chapters, French Knitting Terms and German Knitting Terms.

Here's an example from the French:
French: Augm. dans une Maille.
English: Knit into front and back of stitch.

And one from the German:
German: Aufflassen der Randmaschen.
English: Pick up the edge stitches.

Now, I wouldn't be able to translate a whole pattern from this information, but it might help with the proposed project. What do you think?

Mrs. C.
Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2003 :  12:58:51 PM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message
I believe there is a book in print called something like Knitting Languages or something. It's a glossary of common terms in several languages. I'm not sure about the title.

Anita

See my completed projects!
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=977585&uid=619962&members=1
Go to Top of Page

Annemieke
Chatty Knitter

Netherlands
185 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2003 :  2:01:00 PM  Show Profile Send Annemieke a Private Message
Hi Mrs c.; I think we could make a list of this sort of terms; after all, there are only so many.
If the translation seems akward, there is bound to be somebody on the forum who understands what was meant.
After all, my (double-dutch-backwards-on-a-sunday)postings seem to be understood allright!

annemieke

Go to Top of Page

frodosmom
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
480 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2003 :  9:13:13 PM  Show Profile Send frodosmom a Private Message
In selecting languages for an international glossary of knitting terms we should, I suppose, ask which languages would most often be used by our members. Also, which languages are known to our members already, so that they could help with the translating. We've had offers from speakers of Swedish, German, Russian, and Dutch to assist us, and I am sure there is at least one of us fluent in French. I'd like to start a new thread, so that we could locate assistance with perhaps Italian, Spanish, Norwegian, or Danish.

Go to Top of Page

Hyacint
Chatty Knitter

Sweden
156 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2003 :  06:29:47 AM  Show Profile Send Hyacint a Private Message
Hi Tanya -- glad I could be of help! Here is the translated pattern:

Gauge: 17 stitches and 22 rounds on 5mm needles in stockinette = 10 x 10 cm. Remember that your needle size may vary!

Stitch pattern: Se chart (the chart shows one repeat). The pattern is shown from the right side.

Ribbing: * knit 2, purl 2 *. Repeat *-* in stripes like this: 3 rounds white, 3 rounds gray, 3 rounds white, 3 rounds gray.

Body: Cast on 212 (220-228) st a 4 mm circular needle with white yarn and knit the ribbing as explained above. Change to a 5 mm circular needle and knit in pattern like this: * purl 15 (17-19, M.1 (M.1 is a pattern from the chart) 3 ggr, M.2, purl 15 (17-19)* = the front, repeat from *-* across back. Control your gauge! After M.1 and M.2 have been completed, M.3 is worked on top of M.1 and M.4 on top of M.2. Repeat M.3 and M.4 until full length. At the same time. when your work measures 23 (25-24) cm the next round is worked like this: cast off 2 st for left underarm, work 102 (106-110) st for front, cast off 4 st for right underarm, work 102 (106-110) st for back, cast off 2 st for left underarm. The front and back are finished separately.

Front: = 102 (106-110) st. For armhole shaping, cast of on every two rows: 2 st 1 time, 1 st 0 (0-1) times = 98 (102-104) st. When work measures 42 (44-44) cm the center 36 (36-38) st are cast off for the neckline. Complete the right and left front separately. On every other row, cast off: 3 st once, 2 st 2 twice, 1 st twice. Cast off when work measures 48 (50-50) cm.

Back: = 102 (106-110) st. Armhole shaping as for front = 98 (102-104) st. When work measures 46 (48-48) cm cast off the center 50 (50-52) st for the neck. Complete the right and left back separately. Cast off 2 st on either side of the neck on the next row. Cast off when work measures 48 (50-50) cm.

Arm: Cast on 36 (40-40) st on 4 mm dpn's with white yarn and knit the ribbing as explained above. Change to 5 mm dpn's, increase 14 (10-10) st evenly distributed on the first round and work in pattern like this: purl 11 (11-11), M.1, M.2, purl 11 (11-11) = 50 (50-50) st. After M.1 and M.2, M.3 is worked on top of M.1, and M.4 on top of M.2. Repeat M.3 and M.4 to finished measurements. At the same time, after the ribbing, 2 st are increased under the arm 21 (21-23) times, on sizes S+M: every 4th round, on size L: alternately every 3rd and 4th round = 92 (92-96) st. When work measures 48 (47-48) cm cast off 4 st under the arm. (The rest is worked back and forth). Shoulder shaping: on every other row, cast off at each side: 7 (6-6) st 4 (5-5) times, cast off. The arm measures approx. 53 (53-54) cm.

Finishing: Seam the shoulder. Pick up approx. 92-96 m around the neck on 4mm dpn's with gray yarn and work 2 rounds of ribbing with white yarn, cast off. Attach the arms.

Good luck, and happy knitting!

Lydia

Go to Top of Page

argus
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
595 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2003 :  09:24:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit argus's Homepage Send argus a Private Message
Hello Lydia,
Thank you so much for the translation! Now I will be able to understand other patterns from that great site.
On the other thread of the forum (Our own international glossary) there is a link provided by Purlgrrl to international knitting and crochet sites:
http://www.geocities.com/mwillsondesigns/translations
There is a list of russian sites there. If you will be interested in a pattern, please let me know, and I will gladly translate it.

Regards,
Tanya

Go to Top of Page

Hyacint
Chatty Knitter

Sweden
156 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2003 :  3:18:02 PM  Show Profile Send Hyacint a Private Message
You're welcome! And thanks for the offer of translating Russian patterns!

Lydia

Go to Top of Page

Annemieke
Chatty Knitter

Netherlands
185 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2003 :  05:59:21 AM  Show Profile Send Annemieke a Private Message
I feel we are beginning to get somewhere!
If we could find out how to include it in the forum.

At the moment the threads by Frodosmum and me are running more or less parallel; perhaps we should change that.
We are conferring on how to go about making this list of foreign terms.
Suggestions and volunteers are still very welcome!
Annemieke
BTW I suggest we limit ourselves to knitting terms.

Go to Top of Page

Shalee
Permanent Resident

USA
2042 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2003 :  06:41:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shalee's Homepage Send Shalee a Private Message
OH TANYA!!! What have you done! I went to the Drops site and OH MY!! Such beautiful sweaters! Now I have a problem - I thought I had my knitting all planned out for the rest of the year!

Sharon in NW PA where it is getting cooler at nights.

Go to Top of Page

knitaly
Chatty Knitter

USA
102 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2003 :  10:59:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit knitaly's Homepage Send knitaly a Private Message
Hi,

I can help with Italian.

Francesca
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.91 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by