Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Creative Gift Wrapping
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

curious16
Warming Up

79 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2003 :  12:25:42 PM  Show Profile Send curious16 a Private Message
So I am almost done w/ this baby sweater that I am giving to a friend at her baby shower on Saturday. Does anyone have any recommendations as to special touches in wrapping it? For example, does anyone sew in labels that say "Made w/ love by..."? I was going to attach some kind of label w/ string that included washing directions. I'd love to hear ideas from forum members as to how they give one of their precious handknitted items away! I was also thinking of putting it into a box and attaching a beanie baby on top (do they still make beanie babies?).

Thanks...Lucy

klfrazier
Permanent Resident

1745 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2003 :  2:50:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit klfrazier's Homepage Send klfrazier a Private Message
My favorite gifts at my DD's baby shower were wrapped in very special ways. One gift was tucked into a small basket that was lined with canvas. I now use that basket for socks and hats, and I copied the trick with a gift that I gave a good friend at her shower. I used a lined napkin basket from Target for the gift I gave, with tissue paper to disguise the contents.

My other favorite wrap was made of sheets and/or blankets. Granted, this is a great trick for big items, but you could do something similar for a small box. How about using a couple of inexpensive onsies to decorate the box? You could tie them around the box with ribbon, and it would be awfully cute - and usefull!

Kristin

Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2003 :  2:57:40 PM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message
Instead of ribbon you could use leftover yarn from the project - or other projects.

I made a lot of scarves for Christmas last year. I used a publishing program to design small cards. printed 9 to a page. Each card had a graphic of yarn and needles, "Knitted just for you with love by Anita", and a little box with fiber content and washing instructions. That was the only thing that changed from card to card. I laminated them, which was a pain. I think next time I won't do that. Just make sure the card is not in contact with the yarn to prevent ink transfer.

If anyone has MS Publisher I could share the file!

I might order custom labels, but what I liked about the card was the washing instructions.

Anita

See my completed projects!
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=977585&uid=619962&members=1
Go to Top of Page

hobbitknitter
Permanent Resident

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2003 :  3:08:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit hobbitknitter's Homepage Send hobbitknitter a Private Message
For an awesome ribbon, get together some leftover yarn(s) and use a crochet hook to make a "ribbon" chain! They are really pretty and a lot easier to untie than the
plastic-y ribbon you buy at the store. I also like to make a hand-calligraphy written card to place on top of the gift, with the fiber content, etc. For the paper, well, you could get some brown craft paper and stencil little things like booties or what-ever on with pastel paints.
Hope that inspires!
Sarah

S. Eliz.
Keep on knitting on!
See my gallery: www.pagebypage.com/board/index.php
(In photo gallery pages, under S for Sarah Elizabeth)
Go to Top of Page

Spinnerella
Permanent Resident

1040 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2003 :  8:51:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Spinnerella's Homepage Send Spinnerella a Private Message
At the end of the Erica Knight book on baby knits, there is a section on wrapping that I just love. Very simple....parchment paper and cord, with tissue keeping the layers of the folded item apart. Just elegant. I like the idea, and often do this, of using the actual yarn to tie the package. Or, paint and decorate one of those great papier mache boxes from the craft store...it could be used later to store little baby items. I usually insert part or all of the yarn ball band to help with washing, and it's nice to stick in a sample of Eucalan, too. One LYS gives out small sample packets when you buy yarn, but I am sure there is a source out there to buy them. Don't sew in a label...babies have delicate skin and don't need tags irritating them! One other idea: I often buy a teddy bear about the size of the sweater and actually dress it to present the knitted item. The bear can always get the sweater back when baby outgrows it!

Go to Top of Page

vizzyknits
Warming Up

USA
88 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2003 :  08:34:11 AM  Show Profile Send vizzyknits a Private Message
My first thought on reading this thread was a beautifully done section in Erica Knight's book Simple Knits for Cherished Babies (as Marcia has already pointed out.) You can really make a hand made gift seem even more special by paying attention to the presentation. The book had some wonderful ideas and good illustration.

Lisa

Go to Top of Page

curious16
Warming Up

79 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2003 :  11:10:23 AM  Show Profile Send curious16 a Private Message
Thanks for the suggestions...I like the one about the teddy bear! I actually knitted my sweater from Erika Knight's book and I agree, she has some great ideas. I just though I would also seek out the sage wisdom of my fellow knitters.

I still need to "block" it, stitch the sweater together and sew on buttons...whew, the shower is on Saturday!

Lucy

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.56 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?