Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Crochet Talk
 Crochet technique questions
 crocheting with jute/hemp and other materials?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

suziew96
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
350 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2007 :  3:49:22 PM  Show Profile Send suziew96 a Private Message
hi there,
i've been thinking about trying to crochet some baskets or tote bags using jute or hemp or other materials.
i haven't checked all the old posts (for some reason, my searching here seems to take a long time)... so if anyone would like to share their experiences in particular type of materials that worked well and conversely materials that were really hard to work with, that would be terrific and helpful!
i'm looking for something fun to work with (not too hard on the hands), relatively inexpensive and great to use/look at in the end ...
not too much to ask... hardy har har...
mucho thanks... grazie mille

Mean People S*ck
JW
iphotos:http://web.mac.com/suziew96/iWeb/Site/

KarenB
Seriously Hooked

750 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2007 :  5:35:24 PM  Show Profile Send KarenB a Private Message
I recently crocheted a basket using 3-ply jute. No getting around it, the stuff IS a bit hard on the hands (rough and inelastic), but for a smallish project it's fine. I'd recommend regular old kitchen twine or string for a tote bag.

Karen
My knitting gallery
Go to Top of Page

SweaterGrrrl
Chatty Knitter

USA
334 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2007 :  8:03:47 PM  Show Profile Send SweaterGrrrl a Private Message
Jute and hemp are quite tough. Even tightly spun cotton thread can feel rough after a while if you are making a firm fabric. If you want to crochet a market bag or basket, try using soft worsted weight cotton ("Kitchen Cotton")or some kind of a blend, and use a hook 2 sizes smaller than you might usually use.

I used to experiment with everything I could find--there are lots of different kinds of cord and twine in the hardware store. Some work, and some won't, but it's fun to see what you can discover.

SweaterGrrrl
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.41 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?