Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Machine Talk
 Super Duper Basic Beginner Talk
 Getting Brother electronic 1987 model
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mama Cat
Permanent Resident

1223 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2007 :  06:32:08 AM  Show Profile Send Mama Cat a Private Message
My favorite aunt died this past year of lung cancer, which I think I posted about here on KR. She was also a capital K Knitter, and in the late 80s purchased a Brother electronic knitting machine. She never used it though - it is still apparently in its original packaging material.

When my cousins were cleaning out her stuff they called my mom and asked if she would like it for me, as I was the only knitter they knew. While I was up in NH for her funeral they saw me knitting socks and this opened up several conversations with them.

Anyway my mom spent the week of the July 4th holiday with my cousins, and came home with the machine. I am dying to go get it and give it a whirl.

My mom told me the model number but I didn't write it down. Anyway she said the instructions tell you how to use all weights of yarn from very fine fingering-weight through to bulky yarn. I had thought that the machines "specialized" in different weights of yarn - even the setup of this forum would tend to suggest that. Could somebody explain this then?

My mom also said that she believed that this machine was considered "top of the line" when my aunt bought it. It has over 500 patterns built in, and you can program more. However it takes floppy disks and I'm not sure if that means 3 1/2" disks (which I can probably still buy somewhere) or 5" floppies (which I am pretty certain are impossible to find these days). In 1987 we were still using both kinds of disks, I seem to recall.

Anyway I'm completely ignorant about knitting machines and how they work and anything, really. Is there some dead-basic website or book or other resource that I could turn to for a general introduction to machine knitting?

It will all be pretty abstract to me until I actually get my hands on my new toy, but I'd like to not feel like a total idiot when I take this baby out of its box.

phlame
Permanent Resident

USA
1553 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2007 :  12:34:58 PM  Show Profile Send phlame a Private Message
Mama Cat...try this group. They should be able to give you lots of information.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Knittingmachines/?yguid=98593297

Shirley Ryan, living in Dana Point, CA

...and dance like no one is watching!
Go to Top of Page

Mama Cat
Permanent Resident

1223 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2007 :  1:42:11 PM  Show Profile Send Mama Cat a Private Message
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

llinn
honorary angel

USA
1650 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2007 :  5:23:01 PM  Show Profile Send llinn a Private Message
MamaCat, my friend Uvyonne Bigham was the director of Brother's Knitting School until it closed. PM me and I'll forward your email addy to her. She still teaches machine knitting and there's no one any better than her.

Llinn
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.31 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?