Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 On the Needles
 FlyLadies post here
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Kristin
Seriously Hooked

USA
606 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2002 :  09:49:24 AM  Show Profile Send Kristin a Private Message
I thought I'd start a FlyLady thread for all the FlyBabies to post their progress. I think it's so encouraging hearing how other people are doing in their FlyBaby Steps. It motivates me to keep at it when I know I'm not doing this alone

I started making my Control Journal. Nothing fancy. I made a Morning & Evening Routine and put it in a plastic cover so I could check off each item with a dry-erase marker each day. Since I work full-time, my Morning Routine is basically just get dressed, make the bed, 5 Minute Hot Spot & shine the sink.

For my Evening Routine, I included lots of playtime with my son, a 15 minute 27 Fling Boogie, clean-up time, dishes, lay out clothes for next day, KNITTING TIME(!!!), and shine the sink. It looks like so much to do written down on paper but it really only takes a very short time doing the cleaning. I can't believe how much I can actually accomplish in 15 minutes of cleaning, especially when I'm racing with the timer. I have so much more free time at the end of the day and I can feel good that I DID something positive.

I can't believe I'm getting organized! DH has been floored that I've stuck with it for 4 days so far. He kept saying "I bet you'll quit by Saturday". I'm bound & determined to prove him wrong...LOL.

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2002 :  4:54:27 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
For a little encouragement, after I had learned the S.H.E. system, I could do all of my cleaning except the laundry in 30 minutes a day or less. As for the laundry, that wasn't work because I knitted while waiting for the loads to be finished.

Fran

Go to Top of Page

Kristin
Seriously Hooked

USA
606 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2002 :  07:23:19 AM  Show Profile Send Kristin a Private Message
Ooooh, I like that one! Combining knitting w/housework...brilliant. Now, I just have to break myself of the "one more row" habit or my laundry will sit in the machine all day...LOL
Go to Top of Page

Patience
Permanent Resident

USA
1080 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2002 :  11:34:13 AM  Show Profile Send Patience a Private Message
Hi Kristin,

I just joined the FlyLady's group, so I guess that makes me a Fly-Baby, right? I hope I can stick with this, because it does seem like an awful lot of "regimentation", not that that's a bad thing (I sound like Seinfeld, don't I ).

I did try the sink shine, but it didn't work out too well. I have a stainless steel sink that is fairly new, but you know the darned thing hasn't shined a whole lot. Any FlyLady suggestions, Kris?

I know if all of you like this program, it must be a good one, so give me any and all tips and encouragment to give it an honest try. I can't wait to hear some different perspectives on the program, because it does sound like so many of you are having good success with it. HELP a fellow little, tine FlyBaby, boo-hoo.

Regards, Patience
Go to Top of Page

Alissa
Seriously Hooked

USA
632 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2002 :  4:43:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Alissa's Homepage Send Alissa a Private Message
FlyBaby Alissa, reporting for duty!

You guys will never believe this but I was starting dinner last night when a long time friend called. We chatted while I cleaned potatos to put in the oven and started the steaks. I jokingly asked her how she wanted hers done. She asked if she really could come over. Of course *my house is clean!* come on! She joined us for dinner. We went to the late showing of Return to Neverland and then she decided to spend the night on the couch then return home. NONE of this threw me! I had food for breakfast, clean sheets to put on the couch and extra steaks in the freeze.

The best part, she asked if our bathroom was always this large! ROFL! She couldn't believe it was just decluttered. I think she just became a flybaby too!

If I can do this, you can too!

Alissa
Go to Top of Page

chris
Permanent Resident

USA
2463 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2002 :  07:41:22 AM  Show Profile Send chris a Private Message
I did a really huge cleaning this past Thursday and Friday...plus, I didn't knit at all. And I know this is not the way FlyLady says to do it, but our new arrivals were getting here on Friday night, and I KNEW I had to get things cleaned up in a big way. We are fostering-to-adopt two rescued greyhound racers and they needed an orderly place to come "home" to. But the nicest thing about the whole FlyLady thing is how easy it is once you get into the routines. Shining that sink really does make a difference as many of you can attest!

My favorite thing about Flying....on Sunday, my house was so tidy, all I had to do was laundry (which really does itself)! I sat and knitted, made dinner for my family, went for two walks with the dogs, spent time with my husband...all with no feelings of guilt that I wasn't cleaning my house! It was already clean!!! I love this Flying!!

chris

Keep on knittin', mama, knittin' those blues away!
Go to Top of Page

jdroeger
Chatty Knitter

USA
224 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2002 :  08:53:17 AM  Show Profile Send jdroeger a Private Message
I love being a FlyBaby! It has helped me realize that I already had some good routines in place - all I need to do is add a few more items to those routines and we'll be in great shape. I am also learning that one of my big problems is the "I'll take care of that later" syndrome (I suspect some of you share that one!). I am getting better about taking care of clutter right away so it doesn't eat at me time and time again.

On Saturday we went clothes shopping for my 4 year old (my poor toddler RARELY gets new clothes - she gets such great hand-me-downs from big sis) but I didn't have any room in the kids' closet to put the new clothes away! I'm sure you know why - there was a ton of clothes in there that no longer fit that I hadn't culled. So - I set a timer for 15 minutes and cleaned that sucker out! I filled a bag of baby clothes to give away, moved some of Abby's clothes that now fit Meredith into Meredith's drawers and put some of the bigger stuff that will fit Meredith next year into the plastic containers we keep under my bed. It felt great and I moved so fast, I had time to spare!

Thanks Alissa for introducing me to this great system.

Jessica

Go to Top of Page

Kristin
Seriously Hooked

USA
606 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2002 :  12:03:12 PM  Show Profile Send Kristin a Private Message
Hey Patience,

I have a stainless steel sink, too. If you use a Brillo pad (or any kind of steel wool) & some Comet or baking soda after you do the sink soak, the sink will shine better once you're ready to spritz it with window cleaner. Make sure you rinse VERY well between cleaners because bleach & ammonia (window cleaner) don't mix and can make noxious fumes.

It's the final spritz with window cleaner that makes the sink look good. If your sink is like mine, it won't be shiny enough to have a reflection (ours has a kind of pattern in the metal) but the over-all effect is very shiny & clean looking.
Go to Top of Page

Kristin
Seriously Hooked

USA
606 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2002 :  12:08:37 PM  Show Profile Send Kristin a Private Message
Has anyone started their Control Journal yet?

I LOVE this part because I get such a sense of accomplishment when I check off each thing I did. The best part is that I know if I get it all done, I'll have time to knit later in the evening. My son benefits because I'm done with chores & have more play time for him.

My biggest surprise this weekend was that we FINALLY got a new dishwasher to replace the one that has been broken for 8 months. What a huge difference it is to have the chore of handwashing dishes elminated!

DH & his best friend (we share the house) actually both cleaned ON THEIR OWN (gasp!) and made a contest out of who could de-junk the most in 15 minutes. Hey, if they want to play that game, I'm all for it...LOL! Our house looks great and I feel like I can relax because it's getting clean. I've certainly been in a good mood since I started Flying.

I'm the type of person that if I don't want to do something, I need a kick in the pants to get going. This is working so well for me
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2002 :  3:08:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
Patience, the biggest thing for me to remember is that it's not expected to be an overnight change. I love that you can do little things (my sink is a brushed stainless steel - short of buying a new one, that puppy ain't gonna shine) and gradually build up to being organized. I find keeping my sink very clean makes me want to clean the areas around it because otherwise they look dirtier in comparison - and that "area around it" is slowly growing daily!

Just be patient (which somehow I think you can) and don't throw in the towel (that's not where it goes!) You can do it!!!!

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
Go to Top of Page

Kristin
Seriously Hooked

USA
606 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2002 :  3:25:10 PM  Show Profile Send Kristin a Private Message
LOL, Rose, you are so funny! It's so true when she says keeping your sink clean makes you want to clean up other areas. The best part is that when you maintain a small areas for a few days & keep it clean, it feels like it's easier to add one more spot, and another & so on.

Go to Top of Page

Alissa
Seriously Hooked

USA
632 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2002 :  9:48:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Alissa's Homepage Send Alissa a Private Message
Maybe we should get Flylady to dedicate a week to getting our crafts in order? I love being able to combine both aspects of my life. You guys are so great! I love the feeling of not being alone anymore.

Hugs to you all, and a VERY shiny sink!

Alissa
Go to Top of Page

Kristin
Seriously Hooked

USA
606 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2002 :  10:48:32 PM  Show Profile Send Kristin a Private Message
I know what you mean, Alissa. I've got knitting buddies & FlyLady buddies here...just fantastic! It's so much easier to stick to doing something when you feel you're part of a group and not alone, isn't it?
Go to Top of Page

jdroeger
Chatty Knitter

USA
224 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2002 :  09:20:12 AM  Show Profile Send jdroeger a Private Message
Well, I fell off the wagon a little last night. I left the dinner dishes in the sink. I really wanted to sit down and finish the chemo care caps I was working on (and I did!) but then I started working on other stuff and didn't get to the dishes which means I didn't really do my evening routine. In fairness, I could've reminded DH that the dishes were still in the sink and had him do them while I was knitting (why is that if I don't do them, I have to tell/ask him to do them??? He's a good guy but doesn't think to do the dishes unless I cooked a big meal. Anyway . . .)

So, this morning I got up a little early and took care of the dishes. I got everyone moving a little early too and we were out the door on time without any yelling! So, I guess I was back on the wagon this morning.

Take care, FlyBabies!
Jessica

Go to Top of Page

knitter2568
Chatty Knitter

Germany
146 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2002 :  1:03:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit knitter2568's Homepage Send knitter2568 a Private Message
Hi all,

I read through all the posts here but I still didn't understand what "FlyLady" "FlyBaby" is?????????

Happy Knitting,
Knitter2568
knitter@newsguy.com
http://www.geocities.com/knitter2568
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?username=knitter2568
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2002 :  3:44:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
You have to go to www.flyLady.net

It's a great motivational organizing system that Alissa got us hooked on! Enjoy!

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
Go to Top of Page

schoolmama
Permanent Resident

USA
2310 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2002 :  5:30:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit schoolmama's Homepage Send schoolmama a Private Message
Wow, I was going to ask what is "Flylady" too! I want to find out, and I want to motivate my family to get rid of their clutter. My 20yr. old got his own apartment last week, so we got rid of a large portion of the clutter, as he was our major clutterer. DD, 11, is the next worst! My husband doesn't notice the house is messy or cluttered, unless someone is coming over right now, and then wants to get everything spotless! With 6 people, now 5 in one house, you can't clean it all up in a half hour, not by yourself, and I would like to see some helpful hints!! I will check the website out, and now I must go, but this is my 100th post. Ta da! Barb

Go to Top of Page

Alissa
Seriously Hooked

USA
632 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2002 :  6:45:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Alissa's Homepage Send Alissa a Private Message
Barb,
You won't find many helpful hints on what to clean your house with, although Flylady does have her favorites. What you will find are lots of idea on how to find the time to clean. What to do to make yourself more efficent and lots of encouragement! While Flylady may not be everyone's cup of tea I do think that everyone could learn from what she says. She speaks from experience and truely wants to help.

Alissa
Go to Top of Page

knitter2568
Chatty Knitter

Germany
146 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2002 :  12:17:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit knitter2568's Homepage Send knitter2568 a Private Message
Hi all,

I checked out the FlyLady. Very inspirational!

Happy Knitting,
Knitter2568
knitter@newsguy.com
http://www.geocities.com/knitter2568
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?username=knitter2568
Go to Top of Page

Kristin
Seriously Hooked

USA
606 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2002 :  09:37:15 AM  Show Profile Send Kristin a Private Message
Did anyone do the Clean Car Challenge?

I had a half-day off from work yesterday because of a dentist appt. so I decided to do it since the weather was so nice. It felt good to de-clutter the car. My son had turned the back seat into his own mobile toy box & story book depository...LOL.
Go to Top of Page

Alissa
Seriously Hooked

USA
632 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2002 :  4:10:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Alissa's Homepage Send Alissa a Private Message
Ugh! The car is one of my MAJOR hot spots... The kids leave school papers, toys, even clothing in there. Then there are my knitting bags (I am NOT saying how many) plus the other stuff that accumulates over time. I have been extremely un-motivated to clear this hotspot lately because everything around us is under construction. It seems pointless to wash it when it will be covered in dirt when I drive back out of the car wash. I keep telling myself this construction is raising my property values... we don't want to live here forever! Perhaps this should be my project for my next Anti-procrastination day. Today I tackled the rose beds. Woohoo!

flap, flap, flap

Alissa
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.02 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by