Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A new whodunit about a true yarn whisperer
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Crochet Talk
 Random crochet-related chitchat
 Dragonfly Dreams
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

farfalla
Warming Up

63 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2007 :  3:29:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit farfalla's Homepage Send farfalla a Private Message
I finished my gift for my new nephew (he is expected to arrive in September)! The pattern is "Dragonfly Dreams" from the July 2006 Crochet! magazine. See a photo at http://www.flickr.com/photos/31059114@N00/831697584/in/set-72157601130169448/

It's a ton of single crochet, which can be a bit boring, so it took me many months to finish. I chose green because the sex of the baby was unknown when I started the project, but the new mom and dad both went to a college whose colors are green and white, so it works. Somewhere in there I forgot which hook size I was originally using, and I think I went up a size. Either that or I started crocheting more loosely. Either way, the finished blocks weren't all the same size, and although I was able to fudge it by stretching judiciously as I sewed the squares together, the final blanket isn't quite a true square. It's okay. On a positive note, after I tossed it in the washer and dryer, it came out much softer and more even-looking than before washing.

I made a few, non-major changes to the pattern, since it's originally intended to be more of a home-decor item rather than a baby blanket. I decreased the hook size and used machine-washable baby yarn. I also made fewer blocks (16 rather than 20) to produce a square rather than rectangular blanket.

Ditzy Girl
Permanent Resident

USA
4723 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2007 :  5:19:47 PM  Show Profile Send Ditzy Girl a Private Message
It is beautiful and you should be proud of your work, plus the parents should be happy to receive

Zola, Seattle, Wash.

Go to Top of Page

suzannevh
Gabber Extraordinaire

565 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2007 :  6:46:14 PM  Show Profile Send suzannevh a Private Message
It's beautiful! I love the dragonfly motif and the color. I'm sure the parents will love it.

Check out my project pics

Join the Yarn Diet-A-Long

Go to Top of Page

farfalla
Warming Up

63 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2007 :  3:31:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit farfalla's Homepage Send farfalla a Private Message
Thanks! I won't make it to the shower myself, so I packaged it up and sent it off. My brother and sister-in-law will be pleased.
Go to Top of Page

herbandteas
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
417 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2007 :  6:57:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit herbandteas's Homepage Send herbandteas a Private Message
I am sure the parents will love this blanket. I think the green is a good color to go with the dragon fly design.

Helaine in Olalla, Wa
View my blog @ http://misshelaineous.blogspot.com/
Women who behave rarely make history
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.45 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by