Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 General Technique Questions
 twisted cord
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

joeyms
New Pal

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2003 :  5:29:34 PM  Show Profile Send joeyms a Private Message
I'm knitting baby booties, and the pattern says to thread "twisted cord" through the eyelets. I dunno exactly what that is, though I'm certain it's something I knit, not go out and buy......any help will be appreciated.
Thanks, Joey

Joey

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2003 :  6:36:21 PM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
I wonder if they could mean I-cord? That's sort of a twisted cord that you knit.

If it is, it's really simple to do. You cast 3 stitches onto a dpn and knit them, then you push them to the other end of the needle so that you're knitting in the same order. It's the yarn coming from behind that 'twist' the cord.

Hope this helps.

Barbara

"I know we've got one SOMEWHERE"
Go to Top of Page

Eleanor
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
583 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2003 :  04:44:50 AM  Show Profile  Send Eleanor a Yahoo! Message Send Eleanor a Private Message
Twisted cord is made using several strands of the yarn you're using for your project and making a knot at both ends together. You'll have to measure out the length of these strands to be at least 3x as long as the cord you need. Put one knotted end into a drawer and close it (or secure it some other way) and put a knitting needle in the knot at the other end and start twisting the strands of yarn by turning the needle. The more you twist the tighter the cord will be. When you think it's tight enough, let the cord fold around itself by releasing the hold you have on it. Try and get it to start it's fold in the middle. Then knot the two ends together and voila, you have a twisted cord. It's all a matter of "trial and error" with this one, depending on the weight of the yarn you're using and the amount of times you twist it before letting it fold in half on itself. Hope you get the picture. I learned from instructions somewhere, but can't remember where. (wish I could show you in person, lol)

Go to Top of Page

of troy
Permanent Resident

USA
2474 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2003 :  07:19:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit of troy's Homepage Send of troy a Private Message
yes, twisted cord is just that, you yarn twisted into a cord..

i start by taking 4 times the length needed (4 yards for one!)
fold in half, knot other end (a giant loop/circle)

secure one end (i use a small hook mounted inside a convenient closet)
the other end -- i take a 'hand drill' or now days, a variable speed drill, in the chuck i put in an other hook (cup hook for the kitchen type hook,) and put the other end of yarn on the hook..

stand back (keep the yarn taunt-- not overly so, but not slack!)

drill slowly (you'll be twisting the yarn!) when it starts to kink, and you feel it pulling (the tension will have increased)

stop, and make sure the kink is as close to the center as possible.. (use the weight of drill to keep tension on the yarn!)

drill a few seconds more (not to fast!) and then slowly release the tention on the yarn, the kink will take over! you'll have lovely, evenly twisted cord!

if the cord doesn't twist up all the way, gently un pull the kink, and twist a bit more.. (at this point it really doesn't take much.

It used to take a half hour or more (i used to do Yards of cord, to edge pillows!) and i'd get cramps in my arms! now its takes minutes!

If all this is too much, you can also take 3 or 6 lengths of yarn, and braid them (make fancy ends at both ends!) and use these fine braids as 'laces' or cords..

finally there is a double chain
take 2 strand of yarn, (best in slightly of totally different colors)tie them together.
make a loop with *color A catch color B, and pull loop closed, then catch Color A,and pull it into the loop of color B and close.* alternate making a simple basic crocheted chain, but use 2 colors.. work to keep tension even. continue making a chain with each stitch of the chain being an alternate color.

its makes a great strong cord!

Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2003 :  1:29:24 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
You can do small cords (like for booties) by hand just by putting a pencil in the end and twirling it to wind the cord. I suggest doing it this way the first time. I usually make 1 to 1 1/2 yards for booties.

Patternworks also sells a small device to make twisted cord which is very inexpensive, basically it is a nylon hand held drill.

I have made twisted cord for all of the mittens I make for children and tie an end on each mitten so they can be slipped through the sleeves of their coat. I have made very tiny ones by dividing the individual plies of yarn, and very large ones to use as the handles for purses. When my daughters were small, they made the best hair ties avaiable.

If it twists wrong the first time you do it, you can separate it by pulling the plies apart and then allowing it to twist again. You can also remove lumps etc. the same way.

fran

Go to Top of Page

joeyms
New Pal

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2003 :  01:26:22 AM  Show Profile Send joeyms a Private Message
Wow! Thanks for the info! The I-cord would work, but it doesn't look like the picture.....I think I'm going to give the twists a try. Again, thanks for helping.......Joey
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.47 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe