Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 General Technique Questions
 ahh, need help with double pointed needles
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Pinky Yarn
Permanent Resident

USA
1045 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2003 :  6:28:45 PM  Show Profile Send Pinky Yarn a Private Message
does anyone have a good description or know of a website with pictures showing a good way to hold/use double pointed needles, i have it in a weird sort of way, it doesnt seem right, but hey, its getting the knitting done..

-God bless, take care, and dont eat soap!

vizzyknits
Warming Up

USA
88 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2003 :  05:58:58 AM  Show Profile Send vizzyknits a Private Message
You could try this - I stumbled on it yesterday while looking for something else...

http://www.wonderful-things.com/newknit12.htm

Lisa

Go to Top of Page

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2003 :  07:44:09 AM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
I would start off by casting all the stitches onto one needle if possible, and then dividing them up. Your pattern should tell you how many stitiches belong on each needle, it's not always an equal number.

Alternatively, you could try doing it on 2 circs. Again, you cast onto one needle, then slip 1/2 onto second needle. Much easier than it sounds.

If you decide to go the 2 circs route, private message me and I could try to walk you through it.

Barbara

"I know we've got one SOMEWHERE"
Go to Top of Page

SusanT
Seriously Hooked

950 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2003 :  09:59:47 AM  Show Profile Send SusanT a Private Message
There's an article in the summer edition of knitty that has some good photos:

http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEsummer03/FEATtheresa.html

Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2003 :  2:01:56 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
The
knitty article shows working with 5 needles. This is how I hold them when I am using 4 needles.

Place the needles on a table with the point of the triangle down and the yarn coming off the right hand needle. The fourth needle is used to knit the stitches off. Pick up the top needle the way you usually do....but....allow the left needle to rest against the web between the thumb and first finger. There is no reason to hold it. It will just slide along with the stitches until it becomes time to switch needles. Frankly, I thing it is easier to hold 3 needles rather than 4.

fran

Go to Top of Page

Pinky Yarn
Permanent Resident

USA
1045 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2003 :  4:03:56 PM  Show Profile Send Pinky Yarn a Private Message
Thank yall for all yalls help, the hat is well on its way to being finished, good thing too, its all the way down his back, ive kinda changed the pattern a little so it wont be longer then he is tall (i messed up the begining of it and made it too long )

-God bless, take care, and dont eat soap!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.55 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?

line subscribe to Knitter's Reviwe