Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Completion Issues?
 Decrease halt
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Purlesque
New Pal

3 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2003 :  12:29:04 AM  Show Profile Send Purlesque a Private Message

I'm new to this so forgive me.Knitting and Forums that is!
I have been knitting happily,the Top secret jumper on the Knitty page,I've come to a terrified halt!
Can anyone help?
Decreasing in the round from 160 to 136,how do I do this evenly?Is there a secret formula?I was not a wizz at math.
This poor jumpers'completion depends on it,furthermore its horrible to unpick as it's knitted in Patons Anna,tho lovely to knit.

Thanks, Purlesque.

vicky by the bay
Permanent Resident

USA
4768 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2003 :  12:59:24 AM  Show Profile Send vicky by the bay a Private Message
Welcome to the forum Purlesque! Welcome to the knitting world. You are gonna love it here. I know most of us do. I am a pretty new knitter myself so I have learned tons of new information from the other knitters who post here on the board.

I know you have to decrase evenly, but am unsure how it would go w/ that pattern.

Eventually someone will answer your question. I have yet found a question no one could answer!

Keep coming back!
Enjoy! Happy knitting.

Vicky (Queen O'Yarn archivist-QYA)
Go to Top of Page

Purlesque
New Pal

3 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2003 :  02:08:22 AM  Show Profile Send Purlesque a Private Message

Thanks for your kind words and encouragement Vicky,I shall hang in there!It took a lot courage to join,but I couldn't stand another UFO I have enough of those in the sewing room...fabric that hasn't sewn itself magically or by the Sewing Faerie!
Cheers,
Purlesque.

Go to Top of Page

vicky by the bay
Permanent Resident

USA
4768 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2003 :  07:28:32 AM  Show Profile Send vicky by the bay a Private Message
Purlesque, I'm glad you found the courage to join us. I think you might also post under Introduce Myself and put your question in the body of that post also. I think you will get a quicker answer there...perhaps.

Go to Top of Page

Summer
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
581 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2003 :  08:00:22 AM  Show Profile Send Summer a Private Message
http://www.fromthehartle.freeservers.com/KnittingPatterns/EvenIncreaseCalculator.html is an online one. If you have the INKnitters Spring 2002 issue, there's a good article and formula for doing increase and decreases in it also.

Welcome to the forums!

Jill
Go to Top of Page

vicky by the bay
Permanent Resident

USA
4768 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2003 :  08:14:06 AM  Show Profile Send vicky by the bay a Private Message
Thanks Jill! That's awesome! I certainly will be using that in the future. Put it in my favorites!

Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2003 :  09:24:34 AM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
160 minus 136 equals 24 stitches to be decreased.
160 divided by 24 equals 6 with a remainder of 16. That works out to
knit 8, *k2tog, k4*, repeat ** 24 times, knit to end.

fran

Go to Top of Page

vicky by the bay
Permanent Resident

USA
4768 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2003 :  10:13:12 AM  Show Profile Send vicky by the bay a Private Message
Dearest Fran, You are so good!!!! How long have you been knitting? Will I ever get that good????

quote:

fran

Go to Top of Page

myshelle10
Permanent Resident

USA
2749 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2003 :  11:16:47 AM  Show Profile Send myshelle10 a Private Message
I was thinking the same thing-- I think with lots of practice, eventually we'll be that good.

In the meantime (thankfully), we can ask Fran :)
(Thank you!) :)

myshelle

Go to Top of Page

Purlesque
New Pal

3 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2003 :  5:14:16 PM  Show Profile Send Purlesque a Private Message

Thank you a thousand times over Fmarrs,as a (l))sleep deprived Mother you cannot know how simple the solution seems!
When the bub is in bed watch me go!
Thank you to all for the replies (:I)
Hope to see you all in the intro section soon.I have to think of something other than tired!
Purlesque.(8))

Go to Top of Page

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2003 :  5:45:12 PM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
quote:

fran

I tried out the calculator. It came out with a far different (and more complicated) answer. Wow.

Barbara

"I know we've got one SOMEWHERE"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.78 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.