Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Revisiting the mitered square
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Completion Issues?
 Curse of the Right Hand Glove
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2003 :  5:50:37 PM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
I'm working on a pair of fingerless gloves for a friend. The instructions are for the left hand, You're supposed to just reverse them for the right hand.

Well, I tried. And I tried. And I tried. I've frogged those 20 or so rows I don't know how many times already. The yarn is starting to fray. I'm starting to fray.

I'm not really looking for advice, just wanted to rant to people who would understand. Now I have to go give it another try.

These gloves shell not defeat me!!!

Barbara

"I know we've got one SOMEWHERE"

hobbitknitter
Permanent Resident

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2003 :  6:55:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit hobbitknitter's Homepage Send hobbitknitter a Private Message
I feel your pain! Believe me- I DO. I made the mistake of deciding to improvise on a bun snood pattern someone gave me yesterday. I decided to use sock yarn and #0 ndls. I was working on it late last night. Desparing work, it was doing strange things- ruffling and I don't know what else. I came nearer to profanity than I ever have, I can tell you! I frogged in despair. Somehow I got grim satisfaction out of tearing it up, though.
Sarah

S. Eliz.
Keep on knitting on!
See my gallery: www.pagebypage.com/board/index.php
(In photo gallery pages, under S for Sarah Elizabeth)
Go to Top of Page

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2003 :  01:01:36 AM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
Thanks, Sarah. It's so nice to have a place like this where it's safe to rant and people will really understand.

Barbara

Go to Top of Page

myshelle10
Permanent Resident

USA
2749 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2003 :  01:35:23 AM  Show Profile Send myshelle10 a Private Message
I understand... truly! :) But I don't have a good suggestion on figuring out the other glove-- hopefully someone else will provide that! (I remember reading that knitty pattern and wondering *how* one was supposed to get there!) :)

good luck,
myshelle

Go to Top of Page

Boogie
Permanent Resident

USA
3073 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2003 :  03:51:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Boogie's Homepage Send Boogie a Private Message
I feel for you
I've been there.
The thing that helped me was re-writing the pattern before I started to knit the second one. I had to rewrite the directions as I would need them reversed - that way I could soar through without having to constantly try to figure out if I was reversing it right or not.

Go to Top of Page

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2003 :  11:15:49 AM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
quote:

I feel for you
I've been there.
The thing that helped me was re-writing the pattern before I started to knit the second one. I had to rewrite the directions as I would need them reversed - that way I could soar through without having to constantly try to figure out if I was reversing it right or not.

Gee, that sounds waaay too organized for me. Besides, just to make things a little more intersting, I'm doing them both at once (at least I am when I'm not frogging and re-knitting the right one.)

I think I may have solved the problem I had, though. I've gotten past the thumb gusset increase and decrease, although my stitch count got screwed up somehow, despite my constant counting.

Barbara

Boy, I really had the bolding screwed up on that one, didn't I?
Go to Top of Page

Susan T-O
Permanent Resident

USA
2481 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2003 :  12:15:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Susan T-O's Homepage Send Susan T-O a Private Message
I like the glove pattern featured in the Winter 2002 issue of Spin-Off magazine. It's done in garter stitch on straight needles, working back & forth from cuff to fingertip and back. You stitch all of one side, then fold it along the outer (pinky finger) edge, stitch your way back, then graft the edge all along the thumb, stitch the fingertips shut, and voila! Since front and back are identical, you don't have to reverse anything to stitch the second glove. And, because it's garter stitch, you can wear them inside out and it looks just the same! I converted it to a fingertip-less version for my husband, just made the fingers a little shorter & didn't sew them shut.

--Susan T-O

Sometimes life is so perfect you just want to muss up your hair and quack like a duck!
Go to Top of Page

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2003 :  1:13:53 PM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
Did I mention that I hate sewing? I always say that that's why I knit. The fewer seams, the less sewing, the better.

I can't believe I'm about to say this, but I'd rather frog than sew!!!

Barbara

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.55 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.