Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Talk
 General Technique Questions
 Converting flat patterns to knitting in the round
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Scifiville
New Pal

United Kingdom
17 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2002 :  12:01:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Scifiville's Homepage Send Scifiville a Private Message
I've only completed one sweater and have already decided that I hate finishing!

Does anyone have any tips on converting flat knitting patterns to knitting in the round with circular needles?

I've had a look on the net but can't seem to find any info. Can anyone help? By the way the patterns that I would be converting are very simple ones if that's any help.

Marie

marieATscifiville.com replace AT with @ to email
www.scifiville.com/blog.shtml - my knitting blog!

BessH
Permanent Resident

3095 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2002 :  12:30:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit BessH's Homepage Send BessH a Private Message
Perhaps another way of looking at things is to see just how in-the-round sweaters are made. Elizabeth Zimmermann, Meg Swansen, Barbara Walker all do fabulous garments in circular knitting. They have just about all the basic shapes figured out. I almost can't knit flat pieces any more. I automatically convert them in my head to circular knitting. Once you are comfortable with making a basic sweater to fit you, all the little shifts and changes are just simple math problems, solved easily with a calculator. You leave off the selvedge stitches and never purl unless you want reverse st.st. to show. Charts are always read from right to left.

Go to Top of Page

lakotagal5
Warming Up

USA
79 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2002 :  1:49:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit lakotagal5's Homepage Send lakotagal5 a Private Message
Bess is right on,once you do one the rest are easy.to say nothing about the time you save finishing.

jeri
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2002 :  2:05:24 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
The only thing I do when converting a pattern to knitting in the round is add markers. I like to add one for each side seam and one for center front and center back. Then one of the markers is a different color to mark the beginning of the round. For example, cast on 1/2 of back stitches, add marker, cast on second 1/2 of back stitches, add marker, cast on 1/2 of front stitches, add marker, cast on second half of front stitches. add marker of a different color. Since most of the sweaters I knit are knit straight to the underarm, not fitted, I don't have anything in particular to watch until I get to the underarm row, but the side seams are marked if I need to use them for shaping.

Fran

Go to Top of Page

Scifiville
New Pal

United Kingdom
17 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2002 :  6:10:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Scifiville's Homepage Send Scifiville a Private Message
Do you recommend any particular books by these authors? I'm in the states on vacation next week and could look out for them then.

Many thanks for all your help,
Marie in the UK

quote:

Perhaps another way of looking at things is to see just how in-the-round sweaters are made. Elizabeth Zimmermann, Meg Swansen, Barbara Walker all do fabulous garments in circular knitting. They have just about all the basic shapes figured out. I almost can't knit flat pieces any more. I automatically convert them in my head to circular knitting. Once you are comfortable with making a basic sweater to fit you, all the little shifts and changes are just simple math problems, solved easily with a calculator. You leave off the selvedge stitches and never purl unless you want reverse st.st. to show. Charts are always read from right to left.

marieATscifiville.com replace AT with @ to email
www.scifiville.com/blog.shtml - my knitting blog!
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2002 :  6:26:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
I'm a new knitter, and think "Knitting Without Tears" is FANTASTIC - it's one of Elizabeth Zimmerman's and everything is very clear, well-explained, and she really tells you how to adapt her methods to suit your own needs. It's the one with the really pretty lavendar scarf and hat on the front!

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
Go to Top of Page

BessH
Permanent Resident

3095 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2002 :  04:10:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit BessH's Homepage Send BessH a Private Message
Rose is right. Elizabeth Zimmermann's books are the best source for bottom up knitting. Her Knitting without tears is wonderful, though I did NOT grasp her concept when I first read that book. It was the book Knitting Workshop that really explained it for me. It may not be as easy to find, though as Knitting Without Tears. Meg Swansen(Her daughter) also has a lovely book Meg Swansen's Knitting with diagram of the basic bottom up circular sweater and then some outstanding interpretations of it.

And for about $4.00 US, you can order the Weekend Sweater Woolgathering #65 which is the basic bottom up circular sweater. go to http://www.schoolhousepress.com and click on wool gathering. This is Meg's site and it is chock full of great stuff.

Go to Top of Page

kknitter
Gabber Extraordinaire

407 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2002 :  06:11:14 AM  Show Profile Send kknitter a Private Message
www.knittingpureandsimple.com has some nice patterns. She has some great top down circular sweaters that you can try on for fit as you knit them. The directions are simple and well written. Patternworks carries these patterns as well as many LYS.
kay

Go to Top of Page

Sequin
New Pal

37 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2002 :  11:50:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sequin's Homepage Send Sequin a Private Message
Hi Marie!

Thanks so much for posting this questions -- I was about to do the same! I too am a fairly new knitter and quickly QUICKLY came to realize that knitting in the round is the way to go.

I found this link on converting patterns from flat to circular by Janet Szabo helpful --

http://www.bigskyknitting.com/circles.htm

Good Luck!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.91 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.