Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Crochet Talk
 Crochet books, Web sites, magazines & resources
 crochet hooks
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rox
New Pal

14 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2007 :  04:14:49 AM  Show Profile Send rox a Private Message
Is there a brand of crochet hooks that anyone is particularly fond of? I have heard that Addi makes hooks and am also considering Laurel Hill. Thanks in advance!

Vanadia
Gabber Extraordinaire

Denmark
511 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2007 :  04:26:42 AM  Show Profile Send Vanadia a Private Message
Clover soft touch are very nice and comfortable to crochet with.
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2007 :  07:02:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message
I've used an Addi hook, metal with a plastic handle, to make a Babette Blanket and I really liked the hook. Elann has it as well a selectiion of other types. I also used a Brittany birch hook for some other granny squares and liked that one, too, but I think for general use I would go with something less fragile. The new soft Clovers are good too, as Vanadia mentioned in the above post.

Be careful if you are using older Boye hooks as some of the sizes are incorrect. I'm not sure about the new ones but if you want that type go with Susan Bates instead.

GFTC of NYC

the pictures tell the story

www.flickr.com/photos/gftc_knits/
Go to Top of Page

jpr54_
New Pal

34 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2007 :  07:06:28 AM  Show Profile Send jpr54_ a Private Message
i use turn-of-the-century hooks-
Go to Top of Page

caeebe
Chatty Knitter

346 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2007 :  08:09:09 AM  Show Profile Send caeebe a Private Message
I also use Turn of the Century hooks they are beautiful and comfortable. One thing you'll want to watch out for is that there are two types of hook heads. A shaped head (Boye, Turn of the Century, and others) and a flat sharp hook (Bates and many others). You'll have to decide which of these you prefer as it is completely individual preference, neither is better than the other. You'll also want to watch sizing. Bates and Boye use the the same letters to describe slightly different sizes. You can find conversion charts online but you are better off using metric sizes to describe your hooks.

Clara
Go to Top of Page

onemorerow
Gabber Extraordinaire

424 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2007 :  4:55:46 PM  Show Profile Send onemorerow a Private Message
I have been browsing ebay and seen a few sellers that make wood crochet hooks. I prefer the Boye hook style. Does anyone have experiennce buying from anyone online/ebay that they would recommend???
Go to Top of Page

Knitfool
Chatty Knitter

USA
245 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2007 :  7:14:13 PM  Show Profile  Send Knitfool a Yahoo! Message Send Knitfool a Private Message
I like the Inox and Profi hooks.
They have a smooth and a little rounder head which won't snag the yarn.

Caeebe is right, you need to find the ones that work for you.

Live Happens, learn to deal with it!
Go to Top of Page

Fraggle
Seriously Hooked

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2007 :  7:42:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fraggle's Homepage Send Fraggle a Private Message
I'm a Boye person myself. What can I say I'm set in my ways...

~ Fraggle

". . . Or if you send me your size I'll knit you a new one" -Hawkeye on M*A*S*H

My websites:
Fraggle's World and For Me?! Knit-a-long
Go to Top of Page

knitwitt
Seriously Hooked

USA
700 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2007 :  3:11:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit knitwitt's Homepage Send knitwitt a Private Message
I use Brittany black walnut for the most part. They aren't being made any more, though you can still find some on ebay. More of the flatter/sharper type than the shaped head.

The clover bamboo are fine, too, and available pretty much everywhere - similarly flatter/sharper if that is the style you end up preferring.

--Jennifer

http://impatientknitter.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

janicerosema@hotmail.com
New Pal

25 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2007 :  11:23:00 AM  Show Profile Send janicerosema@hotmail.com a Private Message
Boye hooks are my personal favorite. I also like the Addi hooks, Inox hooks and I do have some hand-carved hooks that gorgeous and wonderful to work with. I would say find what is right for you and just experiment. Personally, I use different kinds of hooks for different tasks. I must say though, Susan Bates are not one that I enjoy, they feel awkward in my hand and I don't like the way the hook is cut. Just a very personal preference on my part.
Go to Top of Page

PBELKNAP
Permanent Resident

USA
1136 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2007 :  12:32:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit PBELKNAP's Homepage Send PBELKNAP a Private Message
I'm a Boye person, too. I realize the sizes don't jive with the standard, but I just make sure I do good gauge swatches ahead of time, so there are no surprises.

PAM

WIP = Branches and Bobbles Afghan, Raglan Sweater, Knit Your Bit for Vets Scarf

Completed this year = Knitted Baby Blanket (Estonian Lullaby), Knitted Charity Squares, Top-Down Sweater, Project Linus Baby Blanket (2), Summer Top, Scrap Sweater, Socks (2 pair), 63 Cable Squares Afghan, Winter Hat, Vertical Rib Sweater (crocheted)

If I could only do this for a living...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.34 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?