Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: We welcome a succulent Merino from Patagonia
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitting as Therapy
 $$$ Stash $$$
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2002 :  6:40:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
I just re-read Clara's review of last year's MD Wool Festival ... this year's is coming up in May, not far from where I grew up... I WILL BE THERE!!! I've decided I may have to start a little secret stash of money that I'm not even allowed to spend at my dear local Knitty Gritty so that I'll have play money for that event!

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."

Alissa
Seriously Hooked

USA
632 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2002 :  9:24:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Alissa's Homepage Send Alissa a Private Message
I am guilty of stashing money for my yarn trips! I hide it in a seperate area of my purse. Thought about hiding it at the house to keep it safe from impulse purchases but isn't that the idea? Mom used to call it "Mad Money". At least I don't have to sneak my purchases into the house, DH is very supportive and I always give the stuff I make as presents. Two birds with one stone, so to speak... plus it keeps me out of the bars!

Viva la Stash!

Alissa
Go to Top of Page

BessH
Permanent Resident

3095 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2002 :  03:32:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit BessH's Homepage Send BessH a Private Message
Yes! This is what I am doing. Each month when I deposit my paycheck I subtract $100 from the actual ammount deposted. That is for Stitches East, coming up this October in King of Prussia, PA. But for the Md. Sheep and Wool Festival (which dh will go to, so i don't have to save gas $ or hotel$) I have my "spend it like a man" jar.

Spending $ like a man is when you pay for everything with bills. Don't count out exact change. just dump it in your purse. Each night it goes in a jar on top of the refrigerator. Sometimes DH dumps his pockets in the jar too, though he knows this is for knitting. He just calls it the knitting jar. There was $20 in the jar 2 weekends ago, and I have probably twice that much now. Try it and see.

Go to Top of Page

Patience
Permanent Resident

USA
1080 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2002 :  09:35:27 AM  Show Profile Send Patience a Private Message
Bess,

I'm going to Stitches East again this October also. Any of our esteemed Knitter's Review buddies who plan on attending should post on here and we can make some arrangments to meet each other and put a face and a voice with those wonderful personalities. That would be so much fun, wouldn't it?

As for starting the "money stash", I'd better get cranking....since it's only 7 short months away. Wow, how the time flies when you're having fun, and Lord knows, I am!!

Regards, Patience
Go to Top of Page

midddeb
Warming Up

USA
59 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2002 :  09:44:04 AM  Show Profile Send midddeb a Private Message
Dumb question, I'm sure--- is there a list of wool festivals and other knitting events? Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

BessH
Permanent Resident

3095 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2002 :  10:49:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit BessH's Homepage Send BessH a Private Message
Patience I can't wait to get together at Stitches. Check out Clara's suggestion for an identifying pin being discussed in the mascot forum. I began my savings acct. in January. I have seen the class schedule for S.W and drooled all over the paper.

Have you been before? how many classes did you take? Did you choose several short ones or a long one or some combination? I had thought to sign up for "the Works" but then thought I might have class overload. I might need some down time just to sit and still my heartbeats. and of course shopping time. and of course shopping cash. I certainly plan to be there the whole time and go to the two dinners.

Middeb, try this link: http://www.festivalnet.com/

Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4404 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2002 :  2:09:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message
Stashing away play money is a very good idea. My own experience at the MD Sheep & Wool Festival was that I went totally crazy for the first five hours or so. Then reason took hold and I tried to pretend I was a bit more discerning. But if you have a stash to last you through those first hours of craziness, ahh, what a beautiful festival it can be.

My advice: Arrive EARLY so you can park relatively near the festival. It doesn't have to be 6am, even. I think I got there at 10 and still had a good spot. Wear comfortable shoes and bring several bottles of water. If you can, you'd save big bucks by packing some bottles of water in your own cooler - this way you won't be tempted to buy water at the festival, which is priced according to demand. This way you can simply make regular trips back to your car, dump off any cumbersome purchases (you know, that sheep you just had to have), and get another bottle of water.

Middeb, if you don't find anything you like on BessH's great festivalnet link, try the KR calendar of events at: http://knittersreview.com/upcoming_events.asp I fill it out as we go along, and I'm about halfway through the summer festivals).

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
Go to Top of Page

Patience
Permanent Resident

USA
1080 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2002 :  3:34:54 PM  Show Profile Send Patience a Private Message
Bess,

I've only been to Stitches East once and that was last year, 2001. What a feast for the eyes it was! I didn't take any classes, can you imagine how sorry I was about that? Do you have any suggestions for me for this year? I guess I should get with it and see which ones are being offered....are they listed yet, or will it be soon (on TKGA, right?)

Having some sort of identifying pin would be a great idea, but only for bona fide "members" I would think. That way when we say our name to each other, we can ooooh and aaaaah right and left. I'm getting excited already! I can't wait to meet you!

Where is the Wool Festival in Maryland located? Is it near Chesapeake City or is it further down? I live in PA about an hour from Philly, and so I'm really close to the Stiches East at King of Prussia, PA, only about 30 minutes. If MD festival isn't too far, maybe I can talk DH into driving and I'll go to that as well.

Wow, I better start saving $$$$ a blue streak and throw caution to the wind. [:D}

Regards, Patience
Go to Top of Page

marfa
Permanent Resident

USA
2044 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2002 :  4:17:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit marfa's Homepage Send marfa a Private Message
How do.
Patience & Bess, you have my "ear": tell me more please about Stitches East & how to find out more about it. I live in Philadelphia so King of Prussia is very close.
The idea of the change jar is one I have used for a while but for a different purpose. I'm self-employed & I take the $ to the bank to deposit in my savings account. That $$ goes toward my tax payments. The knitting stash jar sounds like so much more fun

Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2002 :  4:45:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
Wow! How many of us are going to the MD wool festival? We'll have to be sure to wear our scarves!!!

The festival is at the Howard County Fairgrounds. Maybe you know Clarksville, Ellicott City, or Columbia MD? All in Howard Co... Howard county is fairly central Maryland. If you find Baltimore and Washington DC, you're looking for the country smack dab between the two. It's a pretty area, and fairly easy to get to.

We should try to meet up for lunch or dinner or something! I'm very much looking forward to it (3 months away and counting...)

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
Go to Top of Page

BessH
Permanent Resident

3095 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2002 :  5:22:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit BessH's Homepage Send BessH a Private Message
Oh Marfa - go to http://www.knittinguniverse.com/ and click on Events. I haven't been but I have been wanting to go since I heard about it. I just took a very wonderful workshop last weekend and when I think of having that sort of fun for 4 days I get a little giddy. The few people I've talked to who've gone just rave about it.

and Rose - i definitely will be going to the MD. sheep & wool festival. If for nothing more than to see the Mostly Merino booth. I have her color card which I ordered last april. I really like her colors. Got the tip right here, from Clara and I know I requested the card when I paied my taxes on April 15 so that's about how long I've been a knitters review fan! Let's pack picnic lunches and gather somewhere. Maybe beneath a big banner that says Clara is Here

Go to Top of Page

BessH
Permanent Resident

3095 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2002 :  5:27:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit BessH's Homepage Send BessH a Private Message
one more step - when you click on events, then click on stitches west and you can read the class schedule. They don't have the stuff up yet for SMW and SE.

Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2002 :  5:34:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
LOL!!!

TALK TO CLARA - $5/MINUTE

Go to Top of Page

Lissa
Permanent Resident

USA
4942 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2002 :  10:53:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lissa's Homepage Send Lissa a Private Message
Hello, knit friends! I'll be at MDS&WF and easy to spot - I'll be wearing a purple DC Knit-Out & Crochet, Too! T-shirt to promote this year's event on the grounds of the Washington Monument on September 22 (noon to 5 pm) (I'm the Publicity co-chair ) and the long (waist-length) red curley hair. Y'all better find me and introduce yourselves, or I'll be mightily put out! Come prepared to spend $15 on a T-shirt, which is your ONLY chance to enter the prize drawings at the Knit-Out.Seriously, I really want to meet everyone from this forum who attends the MDS&WF, so PLEASE come say hi!

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

5 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2002 :  01:56:06 AM  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
quote:

Spending $ like a man is when you pay for everything with bills.

LOL. When I worked in the cash office at Marshall's (a clothing store) during the week before Christmas we would have HUGE amounts of cash to deal with. I asked my boss why that was, and she explained that it was because men spend with cash more often and men make more last minute purchases.

Amanda

Go to Top of Page

marfa
Permanent Resident

USA
2044 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2002 :  5:27:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit marfa's Homepage Send marfa a Private Message
How do.
Bess, thanks for posting the link for the Stitches East info. Looks like it's worth checking out!

Go to Top of Page

Patience
Permanent Resident

USA
1080 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2002 :  7:48:54 PM  Show Profile Send Patience a Private Message
Marfa,

If you live in Philly you just have to attend, that's all there is to it! I would love to meet you and chat about knitting and what else but KR, of course.

It is a major treat and it's just so huge with many booths and yarn shops registered that it's difficult to take it all in. I was walking around with DH (yes, he actually went with me, to his dismay when it came time to add up the $$$ I spent), and I was totally mesmerized by the sheer beauty of everything. Many of the knitters were wearing their creations and alot of oohhing and ahhing going on, rightly so.

This year though, I want to stay at least one night, if not two, and take a class or two while I'm at it. You need at least that much time to really say you've perused each and every nook and cranny, LOL.

I hope you decide to attend, Marfa, and if so we'll set up a place to meet with our KR mini scarves so that we all recognize each other. Then we'll only have to figure out names

Regards, Patience
Go to Top of Page

BessH
Permanent Resident

3095 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2002 :  03:39:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit BessH's Homepage Send BessH a Private Message
Marfa and Patience - that will make 3 of us, and if Rose is not on a honeymoon or something (when is the happy day, btw?) I bet she shows up too. I will definitely be wearing my mascot scarf pin.

Marfa, be sure to click on the knittinguniverse web page to get them to send you class information. Once you're on their mailing list you get all the notices, for all the stitches events.

I definitely plan to stay for the whole event. That's why I had to start the savings account. And the knitting jar.

Go to Top of Page

Rebecca
Permanent Resident

USA
1119 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2002 :  2:31:04 PM  Show Profile Send Rebecca a Private Message
I, too will be at the Md. Sheep and Wool festival. It was so much fun last year for the family. I hope we can get together at some little booth or picnic table to meet? Who would like to organize such a thing?

The Stitches East conference sounds interesting, too. It's alot closer than the Taos wool festival which I was considering for October.

Has anyone gone to Knitter's Day Out? I enjoyed that last September and had a wonderful time in the dye workshop.

Rebecca

...found easily in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia...
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2002 :  4:15:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
LOL - I just ordered my Stitches East brochure - if there's a way, I'll be there!

(the blissful day is ways off - Jan 1, 2004 - so my brother can perform the ceremony! The nativity scene is for his Seminary graduation Spring of '03 - and our Honeymoon will be in Scotland - I'll start taking yarn orders now!!!)

Go to Top of Page

chris
Permanent Resident

USA
2463 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2002 :  4:26:48 PM  Show Profile Send chris a Private Message
Oh, and Stitches Camp in at Lake Junaluska, NC!! What a beautiful place to have a knitting camp!! Why didn't I know about this when I lived in NC???? (Oh, yeah, right. I wasn't knitting then, was I?) If you get a chance, it's a gorgeous place.

sigh.
chris

Keep on knittin', mama, knittin' those blues away!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.61 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?