Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Another Healthful Throw?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

schoolmama
Permanent Resident

USA
2310 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2003 :  10:34:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit schoolmama's Homepage Send schoolmama a Private Message
Hi, I was just wondering if it is too soon to start another throw? I have a dear friend (25 year friends) who learned she has lupus a while back, and now just found out she has a very invasive form of breast cancer. She started on chemo right away and will have 6 weeks of radiation after that. She and I had our babies together. She has two grown kids in their 20's now. She and her second husband have only been married 6 years. Anyway, if you all are interested and willing, let me know. I was thinking of 8" by 8" squares again in some soothing colors of ivory and blue. No limit on type of yarn, just not bright colors if possible. So, let me know. I think doing this might comfort me as well as her! Barb

"OF ALL THE THINGS I HAVE LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST!"

vicky by the bay
Permanent Resident

USA
4768 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2003 :  10:46:42 AM  Show Profile Send vicky by the bay a Private Message
Oh Barb, I am so sorry to hear of your friends battle w/ breast cancer. It's very common for women w/ lupus to end up w/ some kind of cancer due to their immune system isn't working properly and can't recognize the cancer cells as a danger. I know, I've had two bouts w/ two different types of cancer and I'm only 42. I was diagnosed w/ lupus about 11 years ago. Not a out of control type...just caused my babies to come early....2 miscarriages, and joint aches w/ rashes. Not anything more than that....most people are much worse off than I w/ this disease.

To give you some hope Barb, my Mother was diagnosed 6 years ago with intraductal carcinoma...one of the most invasive breast cancers. She had 6 out of 11 + nodes. They also found two lesions on her hip and femur that were bony metastasis! She is now supposedly cured. No signs of cancer anywhere for the past 5 years. She had a really horrible course of chemo....a billion times worse than mine! But she's such a strong woman that she bounce back as soon as it was over. She was always postitive...never showed her fear!

Just be there for your friend...let her talk...since you are so close to her...maybe you might want to hook up w/ the American Cancer Societies family support group.

The idea of the Healthful throw is awesome and I would be extremely happy to knit a nice soothing square. It will probably be just a plain square...or something easy like seed stitch or double moss stitch....but I'd be honored to participate. Take care of yourself. Lots of love and prayers for strength to you and you friend. Vicky
Go to Top of Page

linda-gail
Permanent Resident

USA
1052 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2003 :  10:54:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit linda-gail's Homepage Send linda-gail a Private Message
I'm in! I'll pick out some yarn and a pattern this weekend. Linda

Go to Top of Page

lizzi
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2003 :  11:02:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit lizzi's Homepage Send lizzi a Private Message
I have some wedgewood blue yarn sitting in my stash, and because I was offline for a while when Vicky's healthful throw started, I felt bad that I missed out! I'd be glad to contribute to this one.

And Vicky, it's not because I don't think you're wonderful--I just didn't know! But my thoughts are with you, even if my knitting isn't!

Lizzi
http://amimono.blogspot.com

"Adjectives on the typewriter, he moves his words like a prize fighter." Cake, Shadow Stabbing
Go to Top of Page

myshelle10
Permanent Resident

USA
2749 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2003 :  11:04:56 AM  Show Profile Send myshelle10 a Private Message
I'd do it-- :) When would you want them by? (This involves my favorite thing-- finding the right yarn! & filling it w/ good thoughts!)

myshelle

Go to Top of Page

AJ Wisch
Chatty Knitter

USA
296 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2003 :  11:28:12 AM  Show Profile Send AJ Wisch a Private Message
Count me in too. I wasn't around for the first one, and my mom is now on her second cancer-free year from breast cancer. I've had 2 biopsies myself, but so far have evaded the beast. I also have immune system problems, with Crohn's disease and fibromyalgia, so am super-vigilant about anything else that could develop. Somebody tell me the rules and I'll get started.

AJ

Go to Top of Page

schoolmama
Permanent Resident

USA
2310 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2003 :  11:36:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit schoolmama's Homepage Send schoolmama a Private Message
Thank you all! Wow, I just went to Michael's and Hobby Lobby, and got back and all these reponses already. I don't care what stitches you do, even plain stockinette, garter stitch will be fine! I like the wedgewood blue, Lizzi. It doesn't have to be exactly that color, for everyone else, but something soothing, either ivory or blue or a mixture of both. 8" by 8" works for me, too. I am thinking, maybe we can get the squares done by the latter part of November and hopefully I can get it together and to her soon after that. How does that sound? She will be done with chemo. and starting radiation by then. THANKS TO ALL OF YOU! Barb P.S. Use whatever type of yarn you want. Basically same rules as the other throw for Vicki, but different colors.

Go to Top of Page

momrnc
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
443 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2003 :  11:40:26 AM  Show Profile Send momrnc a Private Message
I'd be happy to help, Barb. I just today found a quote that I really liked enough to attach to my profile. Hopefully it will attach itself to my message--I'm assuming that's how it works--it seems appropriate, doesn't it?

Kathy

I'm editing this because it didn't work--does anyone know how to get your quote to show up, or do you type it in each time???

Go to Top of Page

Boogie
Permanent Resident

USA
3073 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2003 :  11:46:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Boogie's Homepage Send Boogie a Private Message
Sorry to hear about your friend
A family friend of ours was just diagnosed as well -
Early diagnosis can bring great results.
Fingers are crossed.
Anyway - count me in
I have both ivory and a wedgewood type blue in my stash
I'll think of something pretty

Go to Top of Page

KathyR
Permanent Resident

New Zealand
2969 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2003 :  12:56:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit KathyR's Homepage Send KathyR a Private Message
quote:
Oh Barb, I am so sorry to hear of your friends battle w/ breast cancer. It's very common for women w/ lupus to end up w/ some kind of cancer due to their immune system isn't working properly and can't recognize the cancer cells as a danger. I know, I've had two bouts w/ two different types of cancer and I'm only 42. I was diagnosed w/ lupus about 11 years ago. Not a out of control type...just caused my babies to come early....2 miscarriages, and joint aches w/ rashes. Not anything more than that....most people are much worse off than I w/ this disease.

Vicky, you've scared me! My 23yo DD has a lot of joint pain for which arthritis has been ruled out. She has had tests for Lupus but so far the doctors have been reluctant to actually diagnose it, even though she seems to have enough of the "list" symptoms to have it. she also has a sleeping disorder which seems as if it goes hand-in-hand with Lupus.

My sister was treated for breast cancer last year and my 79yo mother has been diagnosed with cancer recently (most of which looks likely to be treatable so she should live longer than we first thought, praise God!)and I have a cyst for which I had an FNA recently (yes, I know, cysts rarely become cancerous - but it does give you a fright when they grow fairly rapidly and then become hard from the fluid build-up!).

My thoughts and prayers go out to your friend, Barb. And also to you. I know what it is to sit back and watch someone you care about succumb to this dreadful disease. It makes me so angry to see so much life wasted away by it. I shall be praying that your friend will have victory!

KathyR
Go to Top of Page

amber
Seriously Hooked

USA
758 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2003 :  1:05:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit amber's Homepage Send amber a Private Message
I'd love to make a square for the throw. I'll get going on it soon. Please send her our best wishes.

-amber

A friend will help you move..
A really good friend will help you move a body.
Go to Top of Page

Annemieke
Chatty Knitter

Netherlands
185 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2003 :  1:09:31 PM  Show Profile Send Annemieke a Private Message
And another square coming up!
There is a Dutch saying: when you've lost money, you lost nothing,
when you've lost honor, you've lost more,
when you've lost hope, you've lost everything

Annemieke

I don't want to prevent life from happening to me
Go to Top of Page

cendra
New Pal

Canada
0 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2003 :  1:18:34 PM  Show Profile Send cendra a Private Message
Hi Barb,

I'd love to help out... I have some semi chunky ivory in my stash. Good thoughts and prayers for your friend.

Annemieke,

Thank you for the quote!

Sandra
Go to Top of Page

schoolmama
Permanent Resident

USA
2310 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2003 :  1:27:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit schoolmama's Homepage Send schoolmama a Private Message
Wow, 11 squares already, including mine, in just a few hours time! Thank you everyone for your great response and words of encouragement. I need to go figure out what I am going to knit in my square. Barb

Go to Top of Page

purlewe
Permanent Resident

1921 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2003 :  1:46:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit purlewe's Homepage Send purlewe a Private Message
count me in. Many of my family members have had female cancers. Another very good friend has Lupus. It would make me feel good to help them by helping you. Let me know how this works and I'll go for it!

purlewe (aka Anjeanette)

because I have the kind of beauty that moves... Ani
Go to Top of Page

chris
Permanent Resident

USA
2463 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2003 :  2:31:54 PM  Show Profile Send chris a Private Message
I'm in, Barb. I've got some ivory in my stash that I'll do up. Are we to send them to you?

chris

Keep on knittin', mama, knittin' those blues away!
Go to Top of Page

Marg in Mirror
Permanent Resident

Canada
3205 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2003 :  2:57:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Marg in Mirror's Homepage  Send Marg in Mirror a Yahoo! Message Send Marg in Mirror a Private Message
No prob! I've got both colours in my stash and will get organized this weekend.

-- Marg in Calgary, Alberta

P.S. Please e-mail me your snailmail address!

TLWKOTB
http://knitsonthebus.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Lelani
Permanent Resident

USA
2005 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2003 :  3:01:30 PM  Show Profile Send Lelani a Private Message
Im in!! I'd love to knit a blue and an Ivory square to send in. My mother died of breast cancer at 53. I have been getting mammograms every year for about 15 years now, I am 47. I have had a biopsy before and experienced the worst fear of my life waiting for results. This past year I had to have a regular mammogram and a digital mammogram at the Univ of Minnesota as my Doctor thought she saw something. I live in fear of breast cancer because of my mom who was first diagnosed at about age 49!!! I am more than willing to help soothe and comfort the fears of others with this. Thanks for the oppourtunity to help someone else!!!!!!

Lelani
Go to Top of Page

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2003 :  5:27:52 PM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
Hi, Barb: You know you can count on me. I am so sorry to hear this. I shall get on it right away. Take care. Beverley

Bev
Go to Top of Page

Licensed2Cook
Permanent Resident

USA
3554 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2003 :  5:55:57 PM  Show Profile  Send Licensed2Cook a Yahoo! Message Send Licensed2Cook a Private Message
I would be happy to contribute so count me in! I'll start looking for a nice pattern and yarn (from my stash of course)

My mom is a colon cancer survivor and she also has Lupus and lately some heart attack trouble so I understand very well many of the issues that go with it and the need for good and healing thoughts and prayers.

Dee
Go to Top of Page

Susan T-O
Permanent Resident

USA
2481 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2003 :  6:56:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Susan T-O's Homepage Send Susan T-O a Private Message
Hmm, I have an aqua blue that I think is too bright; and a royal that is definitely too dark. Time to shop! What is the cut-off date for getting the squares to you? In other words--count me in, too!!

--Susan T-O

Sometimes life is so perfect you just want to muss up your hair and quack like a duck!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?