Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Another Healthful Throw?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

vicky by the bay
Permanent Resident

USA
4768 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2003 :  7:09:01 PM  Show Profile Send vicky by the bay a Private Message
quote:
Kathy, I didn't mean to scare you. I also wasn't diagnosed for quite awhile...my lupus titer kept coming back negative. I was about 6-9 months after that I finally popped up positive. My rheumatologist started to treat me before that because I had enough of the "list" of symptoms. He said he had seen this scenerio too often where you are - and then convert to + So he doesnt always go by the blood tests more by the symptoms the patients are having. Just make sure your darling daughter has her paps and breast exams yearly...that's the most important thing of all!!! You too!!! Remember no need to get freaked out....we have no control over what the future will bring...just enjoy today and let your daughter know how much she is loved and cherished!!! Okay enough preaching!!! Have a great evening!

Barb, What a great response. Aren't these women awesome!!!
[quote]
Vicky, you've scared me! My 23yo DD has a lot of joint pain for which arthritis has been ruled out. She has had tests for Lupus but so far the doctors have been reluctant to actually diagnose it, even though she seems to have enough of the "list" symptoms to have it. she also has a sleeping disorder which seems as if it goes hand-in-hand with Lupus.

KathyR

Vicky (Queen O'Yarn archivist-QYA)
Go to Top of Page

Susan T-O
Permanent Resident

USA
2481 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2003 :  7:18:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Susan T-O's Homepage Send Susan T-O a Private Message
Hey, does the square have to be knit? My sister is a beginner crocheter, and if you will take a plain crochet square I bet she'd contribute, too. If you think it would look funny just say, I won't mention it to her until you give me the OK.

--Susan T-O

Sometimes life is so perfect you just want to muss up your hair and quack like a duck!
Go to Top of Page

schoolmama
Permanent Resident

USA
2310 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2003 :  7:42:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit schoolmama's Homepage Send schoolmama a Private Message
Susan, I have already told another friend that we would take knit or crochet squares. Last year, a group ladies and I made an afghan of squares of both, and in every imaginable stitch pattern. Also, every square was a different color, or I should say, one of several bright colors. We had variegated and solid squares of these colors. It came out great. I sewed it together and crocheted an edge around it to tie it all together. We gave it to a Mexican family for whom our youth went to Juarez to build a house. I think the colors were perfect for them!

OK, here's the "rules" LOL : 8" by 8" knit or crochet square, using ivory or blue or mixed yarn of those colors. I'd like soothing blues, not cobalt or turquoise, have to save that for another one...I love turquoise! Use whatever yarn you want to use. THanks for all the wonderful responses! Barb

P.S. How about somewhere close to Thanksgiving for getting the squares to me, but the sooner the better?

"OF ALL THE THINGS I HAVE LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST!"
Go to Top of Page

schoolmama
Permanent Resident

USA
2310 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2003 :  7:51:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit schoolmama's Homepage Send schoolmama a Private Message
Also, just send me an email from the forum and I will send my snail mail to you. I did send it to Marg already! Barb

Go to Top of Page

La Tricoteuse
Warming Up

52 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2003 :  9:43:53 PM  Show Profile Send La Tricoteuse a Private Message
I'd love to make a square or two. Count me in!

La Tricoteuse

"At this point in her discourse it became necessary for her to set the heel of a great blue stocking she was knitting, and she warned him that he was not to speak while she counted her stitches and performed that mysterious act."
Go to Top of Page

thevalkyry
Sustaining Member

USA
736 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2003 :  10:10:35 PM  Show Profile Send thevalkyry a Private Message
Well, how can I not participate in a Healthful Throw?? Well worth breaking the yarn fast for as I do not have any of the requisite colours at hand. I'm a bright colour girl :) And I have your address from Vicky's throw - I will send it in when I get it done. :)

Food, Gas, Rent.. and Yarn
Go to Top of Page

thevalkyry
Sustaining Member

USA
736 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2003 :  10:11:53 PM  Show Profile Send thevalkyry a Private Message
And can I also make a request for pix of the finished product? :)

And let me tell you: get ready for Xmas - it is so fabulous to get those squares in the mail everyday. I'm in withdrawal!!

Food, Gas, Rent.. and Yarn
Go to Top of Page

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2003 :  10:53:30 PM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
Holy cow. I'm offline for just over 24 hrs., and look what happens. I'm in too. My sister has breast cancer which has metastisized, and if I thought she was the sort of person who would appreciate this sort of gesture, I'd be hitting you all up for squares for her too. But she's not, which is probably a good thing, since putting the squares together would probably be more than I could cope with.

I didn't know that sleep disorder went with lupus as well. I, too have fibromyalgia and have the classic sleep disorder that seems to correlate with it, as well as the depression. Not fatal, but sure makes your life miserable for long stretches at a time!!

quote:
I'm editing this because it didn't work--does anyone know how to get your quote to show up, or do you type it in each time???

Kathy, got to your personal profile and add the quote to the line after your signature.

Barbara

"I know we've got one SOMEWHERE"
Go to Top of Page

momrnc
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
443 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2003 :  05:10:50 AM  Show Profile Send momrnc a Private Message
Thank you to Chris and Barbara for helping me get my quote on.

Just checked my stash, and it looks like I don't have to go to the LYS for any yarn for this project .

Kathy

"There's amazing strength in a willing hand, there are victories that you've never planned"
Go to Top of Page

phillips
Warming Up

South Africa
59 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2003 :  07:53:59 AM  Show Profile Send phillips a Private Message
Hi! I bought yarn this morning and have worked out what I am going to do with it. Just hope the square gets to you in time - it will have a long way to travel !!
What a wonderful bunch of people y'all are! Your response has been so quick and positive - cyber-hugs to all
jeni

Go to Top of Page

chris
Permanent Resident

USA
2463 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2003 :  08:23:29 AM  Show Profile Send chris a Private Message
I know that this is a whale of a lot of work for the person at the end, having to sew all the squares together, but I have to say I love this idea and the way we come together as a community to participate in helping one of our own or the friend/loved one of one of our own. It allows each of us to say "I care", shows we truly are a community and, for me at least, shows how much I have for which to be grateful. Thank you: Vanessa, for starting this way of thinking, Barb, for continuing it. May it become a tradition at Knitters' Review.

chris

Keep on knittin', mama, knittin' those blues away!
Go to Top of Page

Licensed2Cook
Permanent Resident

USA
3554 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2003 :  11:18:01 AM  Show Profile  Send Licensed2Cook a Yahoo! Message Send Licensed2Cook a Private Message
I bought my yarn! I am using a wonderful Italian yarn that's merino, viscose and kid mohair in a shade of ivory. I love contributing to such a great project like this.

Dee
Go to Top of Page

schoolmama
Permanent Resident

USA
2310 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2003 :  12:04:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit schoolmama's Homepage Send schoolmama a Private Message
Wow, I am amazed. What a wonderful response already! I lost track after 19 squares, will have to go back and count again!! Thanks everyone. You guys are great! (Just don't keep reminding me that "I" am the one who is sewing it together--heehee, that is my least favorite thing to do, but I WILL do it for Gail!) Take care, Barb

PS Looks like 24 squares so far, in a little over 24 hours!!

Go to Top of Page

schoolmama
Permanent Resident

USA
2310 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2003 :  12:27:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit schoolmama's Homepage Send schoolmama a Private Message
Just wanted to add that while I was still reading the newsletter, Elizabeth emailed me and said she would make a square, too! 25 and counting! She is about 2 1/2 hours from me at a college near the camp we go to in the summer. Barb

P.S. THANK YOU, CLARA, for mentioning this topic in the newsletter!! I just had this crazy thought, what if 5,000 squares come in the mail one day soon??? Oooh, got to stop thinking like that!!

Go to Top of Page

Marjorie
Seriously Hooked

New Zealand
605 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2003 :  12:31:47 PM  Show Profile Send Marjorie a Private Message
Hello Barb
I would love to contribute a square towards this throw as well.What a nice thing to be doing for your friend.
Marjorie

Go to Top of Page

schoolmama
Permanent Resident

USA
2310 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2003 :  12:35:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit schoolmama's Homepage Send schoolmama a Private Message
THANKS, Marjorie! I meant to ask people to add something like a postcard or photo of where they live, especially in far off places like New Zealand!! I want Gail to be able to see how far this project reaches. NOW, I better get off this computer and go get some work done! Barb

Go to Top of Page

Gayle D

Posted - 10/09/2003 :  1:15:02 PM  Show Profile Send Gayle D a Private Message
Hi! I would love to contribute- I will do my very best and make it a special square. Blue is my favorite color!!
Go to Top of Page

tansy510@msn.com
New Pal

41 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2003 :  1:24:56 PM  Show Profile Send tansy510@msn.com a Private Message
Am I too late? Vicky, your mother's story is so inspiring. It's very important to know that many people survive no matter what the prognosis.
I have a friend who is doing well after going through hell with ovarian cancer.
Who do I send the block to?
Cynthia
Go to Top of Page

ClaireG
Seriously Hooked

602 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2003 :  1:37:33 PM  Show Profile Send ClaireG a Private Message
Count me in also. Is off white considered ivory?
Thanks
Claire
Go to Top of Page

BlueStocking
Sustaining Member

USA
945 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2003 :  2:26:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit BlueStocking's Homepage Send BlueStocking a Private Message
Hi Barb!

Count me in, too! I have some pretty blue and white merino top I dyed that I will spin up and knit with. I think it will be a soft enough color ~ if not, darn, I'll just have to dye something else! Maybe some merino/silk/angora top ... mmmmmm ....

My M-I-L just went through surgery and chemo for breast cancer last year; thankfully she is doing just great. I made her a big, fluffy shawl from Plymouth Firenze, for when she got chilly in the hospital, and she really loved it.

Truly such a wonderful idea. I loved knitting the swatch for Vicky, and look forward to adding my healthful thoughts to your afghan, too. All my best to Gail.

Jen

"What would you attempt to do if you knew you could not fail?"

http://TheSpiritTrail.blogspot.com
Yarns and Fibers: http://TheSpiritTrail.blogspot.com/SpiritTrailFiberworks/index.html
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.41 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?