Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Another Healthful Throw?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

Teacher Ann

Posted - 10/09/2003 :  2:49:16 PM  Show Profile Send Teacher Ann a Private Message
Hi, this is my first time to participate. I couldn't resist because this was such a great idea. I'd love to make a square too. My sister had breast cancer, now doing fine, and my mom died many years ago of uterine or ovarian cancer, I don't really know which. I will do the square as soon as I can, in between grading exams and doing lesson plans. Where do I send it? Thanks.

Ann
Go to Top of Page

vicky by the bay
Permanent Resident

USA
4768 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2003 :  2:54:45 PM  Show Profile Send vicky by the bay a Private Message
Welcome to the forum Teacher Ann....Schoolmama will be pleased that you are participating in the Healthful throw. It is a wonderful thing to be a part of for sure! You will love it here on the forum. The people are awesome! I have learned so much since I've been a member. Welcome again!

Vicky (Queen O'Yarn archivist-QYA)
Go to Top of Page

Trina
Permanent Resident

USA
1871 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2003 :  3:03:17 PM  Show Profile Send Trina a Private Message
Barb,Count me in too! My grandmother died at 59 from colon cancer. I am working on a prayer shawl right now for a man who is 48 & dying from bone cancer. Please let us know where to send our squares. My prayers are with your friend.

Hold fast to dreams
For if dreams die
Life is a broken-winged bird that cannot fly.
-Langston Hughes
Go to Top of Page

kkreavis
New Pal

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2003 :  3:28:54 PM  Show Profile Send kkreavis a Private Message
This is my first response, also, although I've been enjoying
the forum for a very long time. Count me in for a square.
My best childhood friend whom I haven't seen in 25 years is recovering from breast cancer now. This is a terrific idea.
I'll be praying for Gail while I knit this square.

Go to Top of Page

Pinky Yarn
Permanent Resident

USA
1045 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2003 :  3:36:32 PM  Show Profile Send Pinky Yarn a Private Message
I'd like to help too, you are really a great friend. I'm prayin for her. ::hugs::

-God bless, take care, and dont eat soap!
Go to Top of Page

much2knit@hotmail.com
New Pal

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2003 :  4:13:37 PM  Show Profile Send much2knit@hotmail.com a Private Message
I'd like to help out with the health throw -- but since this is my first rply, I don't know how. How big are the squares? How do I get them to you? and any other information I should Know? We do prayer shawls for our ill members at church, but this is a great idea that allows many people to work at the same time. Please respond so I can get started. P.S. Do you want washable or are natural fibers OK too?

Go to Top of Page

valryan
New Pal

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2003 :  4:15:06 PM  Show Profile Send valryan a Private Message
I'll make a square also. Who doesn't know someone who has had breast cancer? It is so prevalent...wonder why.

Thanks for doing a project like this. It's therapeutic for us as well as for the recipient.

How do we get your snail mail address?

Go to Top of Page

Trina
Permanent Resident

USA
1871 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2003 :  4:23:26 PM  Show Profile Send Trina a Private Message
It's me again, Barb. Is navy too dark? Is cream close to ivory? I like that you're happy with knitted or crocheted. If we can knit & crochet you'd get 2 squares for 1!!!! Please let me know if those colors would be ok. Thanks ! Trina

Hold fast to dreams
For if dreams die
Life is a broken-winged bird that cannot fly.
-Langston Hughes
Go to Top of Page

Snowcat
New Pal

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2003 :  4:47:46 PM  Show Profile Send Snowcat a Private Message
Hi,
Just finished a crazy quilt afgan for a friends wedding. Still in block mode so I'd love to contribute. Don't have any Cancer stories. Hopefully never will. Please "e" me a mailing address and I'll search my stash for blue. Please also remind me of a due date.
Kathy
Cliftonka@yahoo.com
Go to Top of Page

Pinky Yarn
Permanent Resident

USA
1045 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2003 :  5:32:07 PM  Show Profile Send Pinky Yarn a Private Message
oh yea!! go here http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/CTDSites i think i did that right...but every day click on provide free mammogram, in oct. the sponsors are doubling the usual contribution, so click, you could be helping to save a life! ::more hugs to everyone::

Go to Top of Page

Kaa0316@aol.com

Posted - 10/09/2003 :  5:33:27 PM  Show Profile Send Kaa0316@aol.com a Private Message
id love to help where do we send the square to......
Go to Top of Page

schoolmama
Permanent Resident

USA
2310 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2003 :  5:35:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit schoolmama's Homepage Send schoolmama a Private Message
Hi, everyone. Thanks again. Looks like we are up to 30 or more now. I have had some responses on regular email, too.

Navy is ok, and cream probably, too. Seems like that is about the same thing as ivory to me!

And yes, natural or synthetic fibers are fine. Mine is wool and acrylic Woolease! Thanks, Barb

"OF ALL THE THINGS I HAVE LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST!"
Go to Top of Page

ChimpKnits
New Pal

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2003 :  6:22:36 PM  Show Profile Send ChimpKnits a Private Message
I'm new here, but I'd really like to help, too. I can just imagine all the love and prayers that go into every stitch of a throw like this. It has got to be healthful. Please send me mailing info.

Berni

Go to Top of Page

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2003 :  6:39:15 PM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
quote:

oh yea!! go here http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/CTDSites i think i did that right...but every day click on provide free mammogram, in oct. the sponsors are doubling the usual contribution, so click, you could be helping to save a life! ::more hugs to everyone::

Things like this make me so glad we have socialized medicine. Can you imagine dying of something because yo couldn't afford testing or treatment? Did you know that medical expenses are the single biggest cause of personal bankruptcy in the US?

Barbara

"I know we've got one SOMEWHERE"
Go to Top of Page

Susan T-O
Permanent Resident

USA
2481 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2003 :  6:44:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Susan T-O's Homepage Send Susan T-O a Private Message
Navy is OK? Yay, I don't have to shop. . . um, I think that's a yay. I'll spin up my deep blue Corriedale this weekend And since cream is OK, my sister won't have to shop, either.

--Susan T-O

PS--It's so exciting to have another HT to contribute to--I felt kinda, I dunno, not let down exactly. . . at a loss, I guess, after I had mailed Vicky's square. Maybe we could "take turns" collecting squares & making throws. If we don't have a particular person to give it to, we could always donate it to a shelter, nursing home, hospital, or homeless person.

Sometimes life is so perfect you just want to muss up your hair and quack like a duck!
Go to Top of Page

schoolmama
Permanent Resident

USA
2310 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2003 :  7:26:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit schoolmama's Homepage Send schoolmama a Private Message
Susan, that is a great idea. I was thinking of something like that, too, especially if we DO end up with 5000 squares..YIKES! Did you see how many people have looked at this site? 1111. We could really make this world a better place, huh? And I think some "deep blue Corriedale" sounds lovely....haven't seen or touched any of that yet!! I bought some cormo wool at the Taos Wool Festival Saturday, and ooh, is it soft, and lovely. I decided that is going to be something special for ME, since I haven't made much for me yet, maybe a hat or scarf.

By the way ** someone mentioned that I ought to tell people to leave a nice long end on their squares to sew them together....so do that if you can. Thanks. Barb

Go to Top of Page

DebiL
New Pal

5 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2003 :  7:30:19 PM  Show Profile Send DebiL a Private Message
Hi Barb-

What a lovely idea...do you still need squares? If so, could you email me your address?

Debi

Go to Top of Page

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2003 :  7:51:44 PM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
quote:
By the way ** someone mentioned that I ought to tell people to leave a nice long end on their squares to sew them together....so do that if you can. Thanks. Barb

I did that for my other squares, and then felt guilty for not 'finishing' them 'properly'.

Barbara

"I know we've got one SOMEWHERE"
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Zan
New Pal

4 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2003 :  9:35:18 PM  Show Profile Send Aunt Zan a Private Message
quote:

Hi, I was just wondering if it is too soon to start another throw? I have a dear friend (25 year friends) who learned she has lupus a while back, and now just found out she has a very invasive form of breast cancer. She started on chemo right away and will have 6 weeks of radiation after that. She and I had our babies together. She has two grown kids in their 20's now. She and her second husband have only been married 6 years. Anyway, if you all are interested and willing, let me know. I was thinking of 8" by 8" squares again in some soothing colors of ivory and blue. No limit on type of yarn, just not bright colors if possible. So, let me know. I think doing this might comfort me as well as her! Barb

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Zan
New Pal

4 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2003 :  9:41:57 PM  Show Profile Send Aunt Zan a Private Message
So sorry. I am new and just learning how to post to forums.
I want to contribute to the "healthful throw" schoolmama's friend needs. I would be proud to help. My grandmama died from breast cancer and I, like many others whose replies I just read, also have an autoimmune disease - fibromyalgia and RA.
Please send instructions or post for us. I will try one of the squares I am learning from the book, 100 Afghan Squares to Knit. Later - Suzanne or Aunt Zan
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.62 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?