Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Introduce yourself!
 Dumb Question
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

richardjay
New Pal

12 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2003 :  1:00:41 PM  Show Profile Send richardjay a Private Message
Can anyone explain to me what "felting" is? Where can I learn more about it?

Richard

klfrazier
Permanent Resident

1745 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2003 :  1:08:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit klfrazier's Homepage Send klfrazier a Private Message
No such thing as a dumb question! Felting is the very fun process of purposely ruining your knitting by throwing it in the washer and leating the heat and agitation alter the wool into a delightfully fuzzy fabric. I'll let others here with more experience point you to better instructions. I've only done it once, but it was very fun and the results were fabulous. I've seen it used for lots of accessories - hats, bags, tea cozies, toys, etc.

Kristin

Go to Top of Page

Boogie
Permanent Resident

USA
3073 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2003 :  1:16:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Boogie's Homepage Send Boogie a Private Message
Not a dumb question at all
It seems harder than it is.
knit your item large (as it will shrink)
throw it in a washer (some put it in a pillowcase or somthing as it lints in the process)
hot water - make sure there are jeans or towels or something to help rub against your knitted piece to aid in agitation
keep checking your piece ever 5 minutes or so to see if its felted and shrunk to your delight.
rinse well
pat dry on a towel
block
I think that about covers it
I've made a ton of hats and bags and a few other things this way
Its also great for mittens and socks.
:)amy

Go to Top of Page

richardjay
New Pal

12 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2003 :  1:33:19 PM  Show Profile Send richardjay a Private Message
Does the yarn have to be wool? Or would it work with any type of yarn?

Richard
Go to Top of Page

Boogie
Permanent Resident

USA
3073 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2003 :  1:33:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Boogie's Homepage Send Boogie a Private Message
oops I forgot to add that you need detergent along with the hot water. I just use regular what ever we have detergent.
I really should read my posts after I write them.
Amy

Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4404 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2003 :  1:39:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message
Here's a link to a whole series we did on felting - it might be helpful:

http://knittersreview.com/goto.asp?goto=FeltOV

It's VERY fun once you get the hang of it!

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
Go to Top of Page

Boogie
Permanent Resident

USA
3073 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2003 :  1:42:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Boogie's Homepage Send Boogie a Private Message
The yarns needs to have mostly wool content - the more wool the better the effect - it will not work with synthetics or cotton. I have heard it works with alpaca but I think alpaca is just too soft to sacrifice to the washer. I usually will only felt with 100% wool and usually only the cheaper rough wool. oh also note that sometimes the colored wool will bleed color in a hot wash and most white wool has been so processed that it cannot be felted - there is a new special white wool on the market that can be felted.
:)amy

Go to Top of Page

purlewe
Permanent Resident

1921 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2003 :  1:42:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit purlewe's Homepage Send purlewe a Private Message
Richard-

Felting isn't hard at all. I've seen hats felted (and am very envious! I need a pattern for one of those) and I make lots of purses, but I bet even children's toys would be nice. One thing you brought up is does it have to be wool? Well, wool is best in my book, but as long as it is an animal fiber and not a plant or synthetic it will felt. I've heard that once you've felted wool you can cut it and it won't rip.. now I haven't yet tried that, but I could see felting a long rectangle or two, felting them, and then making stuffed toys out of them. Or cats toys stuffed with catnip. As you can see I've been thinking alot about felting. In fact I'm going home tonite to make some more purses!!

purlewe (aka Anjeanette)

because I have the kind of beauty that moves... Ani
Go to Top of Page

Luann
Permanent Resident

USA
2671 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2003 :  1:59:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Luann's Homepage Send Luann a Private Message
Please note, not just any animal fiber - it has to be untreated! "Superwash" or "machine washable" wools are not going to felt - that's why they make them!

Luann

Go to Top of Page

VickiKK
Seriously Hooked

935 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2003 :  3:24:44 PM  Show Profile Send VickiKK a Private Message
so, I'll add to the "dumb question" what are felting needles?
Vicki
Go to Top of Page

Susan T-O
Permanent Resident

USA
2481 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2003 :  5:22:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Susan T-O's Homepage Send Susan T-O a Private Message
I can speak from experience that animal fibers other than wool will felt--I had to throw out an entire bunny's worth of angora due to improper storage. It felted in the bag before I could even spin it . However, as noted above, it has to be untreated: no bleaching, no "superwash", and no synthetics!

I have made felt cat toys by hand--a long process that is actually a good kids project, if they are supervised. What is kinda boring to grown-ups is fun to kids because they get to make a wet soapy mess!

--Susan T-O

Sometimes life is so perfect you just want to muss up your hair and quack like a duck!
Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2003 :  6:04:24 PM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message
quote:

so, I'll add to the "dumb question" what are felting needles?
Vicki

I just learnded about this. Needle felting is a proces of taking unspun wool in a little ball and stabing it to death zillions of times with felting needles. This makes felt without knitting it first. I was at a craft show and walked by a booth selling little stuffed felted sheep and items made of unkitted felt cloth. A woman was sitting there rapidly and repeated ly stabbing a whie ball of wool. I had just heard of needle felting here so I ran up and said, "Oh, is that needle felting?" She was shocked and pleased because I was the first person to know what it was. We had a nice chat. I told her about the felted tote I made. She said that technically, it you knit it first and then felt it it's properly called fulling instead of felting. I thought fulling was just another term for felting. Whatever. Anyway, that's all I know about it, except that the needles are very sharp and she said if you do it you will eventually stab yourself. I think I'll stick to fulling.

Anita

See my completed projects!
http://www.picturetrail.com/achrisvet
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.47 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by