Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Knitterly Happenings and Events
 sheep and wool fair in rhinebeck
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

tellerspoint
Warming Up

USA
83 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2003 :  07:31:41 AM  Show Profile Send tellerspoint a Private Message
Another report from the front: Wow! I wanted to get there at opening (10 am) but started off late and didn't arrive till 11 am. Vendors close at 4pm. Trust me. This is not enough time. With so much to see, and making sure as best I could to get some things on my wish list with comparison shopping and all, that I set my alarm on my cell phone to go off after 30 minutes (30 min! wah!) for each building. I did drink in so much and enjoyed every minute but next time, its the entire weekend for me!

I still had such a great time, and just as Clara had said, to be with like-spirited others is wonderful. That's a warm and fuzzy feeling unto itself. Now, if someone was wearing a KR t-shirt, I would actually not expect to see it because it was really cold and rainy! It felt to me like early November. Today of course is bright and blue and crisp. Not that I'm complaining! But I couldn't keep my gloves on or else I couldn't touch anything properly. Most of us had fingers stiff with cold. I thought about Andy Pettitte pitching for the Yankees in the World Series last night and how hard that is, too. bonus point-my husband actually went to the game, besides making his grappa! Wow!!! A friend of a friend had a ticket! A dream come true!!!

I want to recommend 3 vendors who's stuff was achingly beautiful.

Mostly Merino Putney, VT no website from the card here but: 802-254-7436 merino@together.net

Mohair in Motion White Cloud, MI 231-854-1292 www.mohairmotion.com

Oak Grove Studio Putney, VT (another Putney! I think I'm moving to VT. :) ) 802-387-5934 www.oakgroveyarns.com

Knit and spin on, sisters and brothers!

Go to Top of Page

Spinnerella
Permanent Resident

1040 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2003 :  08:32:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Spinnerella's Homepage Send Spinnerella a Private Message
My two days at Rhinebeck were interesting, to say the least. Hubby accompanied me Saturday and "apologized" to me (he's Irish) for an earlier laundry arguement (he dumped my damp, perma press stuff on a chair so he could use the dryer...) by insisting I should have a spinning wheel. Okay......! It is a very pretty Kromski Minstrel wheel from the gals at the Spinning Room in the corner of Building A. I got a brief lesson after my class in Continental Knitting with Galina Khmeleva (NEXT year I have to take her lace class!) but haven't had the time or the nerve to sit down and try it yet.
Yesterday I went back up from Southern Connecticut with two seniors and a friend, and we SHOPPED! Wasn't the weather just awful? The good news is that the rain kept the early crowds away and we got a parking space right next to the entrance gate; the bad news is that we all believed the weather forecast and wore the wrong clothing. Spent much of the day trying to get warm!

I did buy several spinning-related things (niddy-noddy, several books and a video, several bags of roving) but also stocked up on the wonderful yarn from Brooks Farm from Texas. They were the two gals on the left, second booth, just inside the main building and I was glad to see they had returned. I bought a hank last year of their gorgeous duet yarn (half soft wool, half angora....a dream to knit) so I went wild this year. They don't really mail order, so I stocked up. It was just a wonderful two days, in spite of the weather. Fortunately, I don't have to wait a whole year for another one....I am already planning the spring around the Festival in Maryland next May! If anyone knows of more in the New England, Mid Atlantic states, pass it along!

Go to Top of Page

naomi dagen bloom
New Pal

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2003 :  7:57:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit naomi dagen bloom's Homepage Send naomi dagen bloom a Private Message
Wonderful to read all the enthusiasm about Rhinebeck. Last year was my first visit. While i was rub-a-dubbing in a workshop to felt a beret, my husband wandered. When we met up, he'd decided that spinning was something he'd like to try!
Hope you met claudia krisniski <www.claudia@countrywool.com" target="_blank">www.claudia@countrywool.com>
at the festival. We make the trip to hudson, n.y., for her to teach my spouse spinning and me, how to knit handspun yarn. Great teacher, patient, delightful sense of humor. she also has lovely yarns hard to find in the City--like Peace Fleece--and handspun by local spinners.
Thanks, Clara, for giving so much focus to the animals, the source of it all.

naomi, composting in manhattan
Go to Top of Page

bobpollard@comcast.net

Posted - 10/26/2003 :  06:56:14 AM  Show Profile Send bobpollard@comcast.net a Private Message
Hey-did anyone see the beautiful sweater kits and hand made buttons by Lawre's Laine? I hear the hand spun yarn is wonderful! Jane
Go to Top of Page

bobpollard@comcast.net

Posted - 10/26/2003 :  4:44:59 PM  Show Profile Send bobpollard@comcast.net a Private Message
hi lloyd, I saw this yarn and buttons at the Montpelier, Va. fibre festival and she said the sweater kits and buttons would be at N.Y. festival last weekend and in Ashville, N.C. this weekend. I took her card and will find it to send you the information. Jane
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.84 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?