Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A true British yarn from Erika Knight
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Curious!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

KathyR
Permanent Resident

New Zealand
2969 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2003 :  1:37:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit KathyR's Homepage Send KathyR a Private Message
Please excuse me if you think I am nosy - but really I am just curious! What do you guys wear underneath your sweaters?

The reason I am asking is that so many of you seem to be complaining that wool is itchy. I have never had that problem unless I tried to wear a sweater without a blouse or shirt or something underneath. I often wear a skivvy (don't know what you would call it - like a long-sleeved t-shirt with a polo neck) instead of a shirt when it is cold. It also means that a sweater can be worn longer before it needs washing.

So come - what do you wear underneath your sweater?

KathyR

momrnc
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
443 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2003 :  1:43:30 PM  Show Profile Send momrnc a Private Message
I wear turtlenecks from October to May, because I'm always cold. So 99% of the time, that what's underneath my sweaters!!

Kathy

"There's amazing strength in a willing hand, there are victories that you've never planned"
Go to Top of Page

jmweis
Chatty Knitter

USA
260 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2003 :  1:44:05 PM  Show Profile Send jmweis a Private Message
Hi Kathy,

What an interesting question!!!

I almost always wear some kind of shirt under my sweaters, usually long sleeved. There are a couple of reasons for this

1.) if it is cold enough to wear a wool sweater, than for me at least, it is cold enough to wear layers.

2.) Rarely do I go through my day without drastic changes in temperature. For example, this morning as I was walking to school it was a bit chilly, but this afternoon it will be warm. I had a sweatshirt on in the morning but I most likely will not this afternoon. Thus, I need the flexibility that having layers provides.

3.) Wool usually itches when it is on my skin, so I wear a undershirt.

Also, I have found that a wool sweater feels much itchier when it is warm outside, but not when it is cold.

Cheers
Jennifer

Go to Top of Page

addicted2yarn
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
376 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2003 :  1:44:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit addicted2yarn's Homepage Send addicted2yarn a Private Message
I like knitting with wool and it does keep me warm but there is no way I can have wool touching my skin without driving me crazy! I always wear a long sleeve t-shirt under all my wool sweaters. I wonder is it an allergy? The funny part is that knitting with wool doesn't make my hands itch....

-Ellen
Go to Top of Page

jade
Permanent Resident

USA
1543 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2003 :  1:52:36 PM  Show Profile Send jade a Private Message
My winter uniform is a light turtleneck, usually cotton but sometimes a fine wool or cashmere, which I wear as a undershirt, topped with a wool sweater. The layers are great in our snowy New England winters, without being heavy.

I don't find wool itchy even on my supersensitive skin. I had eczema as a child and still have occasional outbreaks, but my dermatologist told me it's almost always due to dryness so I slather on tons of moisturizer and that keeps the scratching under control.

Cheryl

Go to Top of Page

fillyjonk
Permanent Resident

1127 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2003 :  1:54:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit fillyjonk's Homepage Send fillyjonk a Private Message
Usually a turtleneck or a long sleeved knit shirt. This is not so much for the "itch" factor (most wool, unless it's really "rustic", doesn't bother me), but so I don't have to wash my sweaters as often. Once in a while I will wear a regular t-shirt under a sweater.

also, because the building I work in varies from Arctic to Tropical from room to room, it's nice to be able to take off the sweater if I start to feel overheated.

Go to Top of Page

hobbitknitter
Permanent Resident

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2003 :  2:26:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit hobbitknitter's Homepage Send hobbitknitter a Private Message
Kathy- I think we just call them either Turtlenecks, or long-sleeved polos. A sleeveless polo/turtleneck which is made expressly for wearing under sweaters is called a dicky.
Me? Sometimes a short-sleeved pointelle or ribbed tee, but wool doesn't bother me too much so it depends on how cold it is or if the sweater has a V-neck that is, well, too big, lol.
Sarah

S. Eliz.
Keep on knitting on!
See my gallery: www.pagebypage.com/board/index.php(In photo gallery pages, under S for Sarah Elizabeth)
Go to Top of Page

Boogie
Permanent Resident

USA
3073 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2003 :  3:25:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Boogie's Homepage Send Boogie a Private Message
ugh - I cannot stand turtlenecks
I love cardigans so its usually a tshirt or a tank top
Under a regular sweater its usually not much
The itchy wool that I have I usually felt it - but I have some really thick and nice itchy sweaters that I do wear as a jacket type in the winter when I go sledding and I usually have a long sleeve shirt under it.
:)amy

Go to Top of Page

klfrazier
Permanent Resident

1745 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2003 :  3:52:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit klfrazier's Homepage Send klfrazier a Private Message
silk long johns - the best thing in the world!

Kristin

Go to Top of Page

Magnolia
New Pal

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2003 :  3:58:17 PM  Show Profile Send Magnolia a Private Message
Wool only seems to be really itchy around my neck, so I usually just wear a t-shirt or tank top that comes up a little higher on my neck than the sweater does.
Go to Top of Page

Lelani
Permanent Resident

USA
2005 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2003 :  5:58:18 PM  Show Profile Send Lelani a Private Message
I can sometimes just get away with wearing a camisole slip type thing. However Im in that time of life where Im hot a lot!!! I try to wear a light weight turtleneck sometimes as well then I can take off my sweater if I get to hot. Wool doesnt bother me in term of itching.

Lelani
Go to Top of Page

Heather
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
456 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2003 :  6:29:29 PM  Show Profile Send Heather a Private Message
I'm amazed at how many of you say that wool isn't itchy to you! Lucky you. I always assumed it itched everyone. I never wear a wool sweater without a t-shirt under it. My neck especially is sensitive to wool. I always have to hug a skein of yarn to my neck before I buy it to make a scarf to make sure it won't drive me nuts. But, as Ellen commented, it never bothers my hands to knit with wool.

--Heather

How often I saw where I should be going only by setting out for somewhere else... --R.Buckminster Fuller
Go to Top of Page

mtchen
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
564 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2003 :  7:55:26 PM  Show Profile Send mtchen a Private Message
I am pretty sensitive to wool itch, so I wear a thin long-sleeved white or black t-shirt under my sweaters. The only sweaters I can wear without anything underneath are cotton ones.

Go to Top of Page

vicky by the bay
Permanent Resident

USA
4768 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2003 :  7:59:03 PM  Show Profile Send vicky by the bay a Private Message
It doesn't get too cold here in the Bay Area. But I do wear layers due to sudden hot flashes that visit me now more and more often...I can't imagine why!!! I usually have on a colored cotton tee. If it's cold out I wear a mock turtleneck...I don't like real turtlenecks I always feel like I'm choking!

Vicky (Queen O'Yarn archivist-QYA)
Go to Top of Page

susnp25
Chatty Knitter

Australia
346 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2003 :  12:37:37 AM  Show Profile Send susnp25 a Private Message
Hi, I have been reading a report by our CSIRO in Australia that is trying to work out where the itchiness comes from that people often say happens when wool rubs on sensitive skin. They have found that its the odd longer thread that does the damage. When the wool is an even micro length and most of the surface touches your skin its usually ok. When the wool is of various lengths even though its a fine looking wool its the little longer ones that irritate in a single spot which then gets you rubbing all over. Its a very interesting study and I will try to give you a lead into it if anyone is interested. They are trying to perfect the wool so it can be spun into even threads and eliminate the "itchiness". I guess the reason that your hands don't get itchy is they are exposed so much to everything that you do they are hardened to the sensation. Its usually the finer skin like the underside of your arm etc that starts the itchy feeling. I couldn't wear it next to my skin and am always amazed when an movie or add shows someone just putting on a jumper over bare skin. I always feel itchy myself and wish they hadn't done it. I like to keep a shirt or turtle neck between my skin and my woolies. Susan

Go to Top of Page

Muffinski
Warming Up

USA
89 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2003 :  02:16:30 AM  Show Profile Send Muffinski a Private Message
I also have a "uniform" from about October through May. I wear a cotton turtleneck in various colors, topped by a cotton shirt in coordinating colors and then topped with the sweater. These are worn with jeans. I am fortunate enough to we able to wear the jeans to work every day. I love coordinating the colors of the turtlenecks, shirts and sweaters. I am usually on the cold side and Connecticut can tend to get cold. Wearing the turtleneck plus the shirt does help with not having to wash the sweaters quite as often.

Go to Top of Page

Marg in Mirror
Permanent Resident

Canada
3205 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2003 :  08:25:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Marg in Mirror's Homepage  Send Marg in Mirror a Yahoo! Message Send Marg in Mirror a Private Message
I wear a turtleneck, or a tee-shirt, or a camisole -- depending on the sweater, the weather and/or what I'm doing that day!

-- Marg in Calgary

TLWKOTB
http://knitsonthebus.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

schoolmama
Permanent Resident

USA
2310 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2003 :  09:10:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit schoolmama's Homepage Send schoolmama a Private Message
When I wore sweaters up north, I would wear a button up shirt or a t-neck underneath them. Since I live in New Mexico now, I rarely can wear a sweater, but when I do, most of my sweaters are cotton, and I wear them alone unless I am going out when it is windy and cold. Then I put a thin camisole under the sweater to keep the wind from freezing me! Now I think a lot of people do wear sweaters here in the winter, but I have always been a "warm" person and it is worse now that I am getting close to "hot flash" time!! LOL Barb

"OF ALL THE THINGS I HAVE LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST!"
Go to Top of Page

nanda
New Pal

5 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2003 :  1:23:23 PM  Show Profile Send nanda a Private Message
my main problem is with mohair. with wool, usually the style supports wearing some kind of long-sleeved tee, but often dressy mohair sweaters do not. wearing a camisole is not enough for me, so i've avoided knitting mohair sweaters. but i love how they look! any solutions for this?
Go to Top of Page

KathyR
Permanent Resident

New Zealand
2969 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2003 :  1:28:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit KathyR's Homepage Send KathyR a Private Message
What a lot of answers to my curious/nosy questions!

Susan, what you said about the CSIRO report was interesting. A couple of years ago a friend of mine wrote an article for the Creative Fibre - the national magazine of the Spinners and Weavers Society here in NZ. She called the itchiness the "prickle factor" of wool. Apparently all fleeces have a range of fibre thicknesses, even in the finer fleeces such as merino. Fibres above a certain thickness have the ability to penetrate the skin causing itchiness. (This is why it is recommended that women working in woolsheds wear some sort of tightly woven clothing - to avoid tiny, short fibres of wool from penetrating their skin and entering the bloodstream! ) Perhaps we should all be wearing something under our woollens!

This is so interesting! Nearly as good as my DD's description of her lastest clothing history seminar - on underwear through the ages.

KathyR
Go to Top of Page

Geniap
New Pal

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2003 :  1:56:03 PM  Show Profile Send Geniap a Private Message
I've always worn a turtleneck, shirt w/collar, or long sleeve t-shirt under my sweaters. And I've found the best place to "test drive" a yarn for itchyness is to ask for a small bit from the LYS and tuck it into my bra for a while. Sounds odd, and the owner of the LYS thought it odd too but now recommends it to some of her more picky customers.

Sure makes buying yarn easier to know if it's going to drive you nutsy with scratching.

clickin' on the Severn watching the Blue Heron
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 2.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.