Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A new whodunit about a true yarn whisperer
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Curious!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

knitting@evandra.com

Posted - 10/16/2003 :  1:57:53 PM  Show Profile Send knitting@evandra.com a Private Message
I like a set of items called CuddlDuds. They make skivvies, camis, and pants. They're nice and soft, a cotton-microfiber blend I think, and help with all kinds of itchiness.

Mostly though I just don't wear wool sweaters! I'm knitting my first right now, and it's the ChicKnits Ribby, so it is designed to be worn over stuff anyway.
Go to Top of Page

lizzi
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2003 :  2:36:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit lizzi's Homepage Send lizzi a Private Message
I wear tank tops or t-shirts under my sweaters if I'm using them for in-transit warmth--like if I'm going out in the cold for ten or twenty minutes to walk somewhere, but won't necessarily wear the sweater when I arrive someplace warm. I wear long-sleeved t-shirts under my sweaters when I'm outdoors for longer--like when I'm raking leaves. And lastly, I wear my winter pajamas (satin) under my sweater under my thick terry bathrobe when we've got the thermostat turned down to save on our heating bill!

Lizzi
http://amimono.blogspot.com

"Talk is cheap, but lies are expensive/ my wallet's fat, and so is my head" --Green Day, Walking Contradiction
Go to Top of Page

knotty girl

USA
Posted - 10/16/2003 :  3:26:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit knotty girl's Homepage Send knotty girl a Private Message
I use a plain white mens short sleeved undershirt. The wool doesn't seem to bother my arms as much as my shoulders and torso, so I find that this works really well. It also helps to cut down on the amout of wind that reaches the skin through the holes of the sweater.
Go to Top of Page

abcameo
New Pal

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2003 :  6:16:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit abcameo's Homepage Send abcameo a Private Message
Has this happened to anyone recently? Two years ago, out of the blue, I suddenly became allergic to fibers that never bothered me before. I now itch when I wear mohair, lambswool, some wool, angora and even some acrylics! They say your hormones completely change over every 7 years, so maybe that's it.

Anyway, it's just terrible. I don't especially like to knit cottons, and I've always especially loved exotic, fuzzy fibers, and now I can't wear them (so lost my desire to knit with them) and I can't even wear most of the garments I've previously knitted. I even itch with a turtleneck underneath. !@#$%^&*

When I belonged to a Knitting Guild where I used to live, my knitting colleagues always used to ask, "How can you stand to wear mohair?" I loved it and designed with it all the time and it never itched back then, but now... :( I gave away my collection of store-bought angora and lambswool tops to my girlfriend, but I'm keeping all of the ones I designed and knitted myself. Just can't bear to part with them and, hey, maybe my hormones will change over in 5 more years. ;D

Go to Top of Page

eimay@aol.com
New Pal

5 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2003 :  6:53:33 PM  Show Profile Send eimay@aol.com a Private Message
It depends on the style of sweater. Sometimes it's a turtleneck. At times I just put a regular summer t-shirt on. Camisoles are great, but one of the sneakiest is silk underwear (any length sleeve...from sleeveless to long sleeved).
Go to Top of Page

cnlknitr
New Pal

16 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2003 :  7:16:30 PM  Show Profile Send cnlknitr a Private Message
Don't you gals rinse your sweaters with a bit of hair conditioner to control the itch?.... Makes a big diference!

Go to Top of Page

capn_smudge@hotmail.com
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2003 :  9:06:57 PM  Show Profile Send capn_smudge@hotmail.com a Private Message
my skin seems to be sensitive to everything but cotton, but strangely enough, i wouldn't consider myself to be a sensative-skinned person. it seems to be increasing as i get older (ancient at 23!), but i used to wear vintage polyester double knits in high school and i've had to part with them. i also found a vintage hand-knit norwegian sweater for $10 and i have to wear long sleeves under. this would be fine if i didn't overheat so easily. if anyone knows of good stuff to wear over all skin under a sweater that the wool doesn't poke through and isn't too heat-trapping, i would love to know!!
HiL
Go to Top of Page

loulouknits
Chatty Knitter

USA
123 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2003 :  08:44:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit loulouknits's Homepage Send loulouknits a Private Message
It has been interesting reading these posts, as I have always been very sensitive to wool. I feel itchy to most wool, even while wearing a buffer (ie. turtleneck or shirt underneath.)

The post about the length of the fibers makes sense...is that why cashmere is so expensive? That is about the only wool that I can put against my bear skin without itching.

Also, I am one of those people that as I have grown older, my skin has gotten more sensitive. I used to be able to wear merino wool without something underneath, but now it itches. I just bought some cashmerino wool made by KFI to try the neck scarf in the fall issue of interweave knits. I did the "neck test" holding the skein up to my neck and it wasn't too bad. The pattern calls for camel...but I tried some of that with the test and it was way too itchy!

http://www.friend.ly.net/~acm/page2.html

LouLouKnits
http://www.friend.ly.net/~acm
Go to Top of Page

Heather
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
456 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2003 :  09:08:30 AM  Show Profile Send Heather a Private Message
I am interested in trying some hair conditioner on my woolies. I have a cabled sweater I love, love, love, but the neck band drives me nuts unless it's subzero outside. Does the conditioner create long-term problems? With hair, it gets washed frequently and eventual gets replaced by new hairs, but what about a sweater that doesn't get washed often? Any dirt-attracting residues or other such things?

--Heather

How often I saw where I should be going only by setting out for somewhere else... --R.Buckminster Fuller
Go to Top of Page

linda-gail
Permanent Resident

USA
1052 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2003 :  09:12:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit linda-gail's Homepage Send linda-gail a Private Message
I have a big problem with mohair, and try to wear a light top under it, plus usually a scarf for the neck area. I tend to be warm, so I can't wear wool often anyway. I think I'll start making mostly cardigans (they open for coolness)! Linda

Go to Top of Page

NancyG
New Pal

24 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2003 :  07:49:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit NancyG's Homepage Send NancyG a Private Message
I, too, wear cotton turtlenecks from october to may, so that's what I wear under my wool sweaters. I tried silk turtlenecks from Wintersilks but the fibers poked through, so it's all cotton for me. I buy them anywhere I see colors I don't have and if it's a color I really like I buy two so they don't wear out as fast. Does anyone have a favorite source for them?

NancyG

Nancy G.
Go to Top of Page

Knit2Relax
Gabber Extraordinaire

433 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2003 :  09:31:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Knit2Relax's Homepage Send Knit2Relax a Private Message
Kristen, where do you get the wonderful silk long johns? I'd love to wear those under mine.

Teresa
Go to Top of Page

nszczepanski@hotmail.com
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2003 :  12:05:39 AM  Show Profile Send nszczepanski@hotmail.com a Private Message
quote:

Please excuse me if you think I am nosy - but really I am just curious! What do you guys wear underneath your sweaters?

The reason I am asking is that so many of you seem to be complaining that wool is itchy. I have never had that problem unless I tried to wear a sweater without a blouse or shirt or something underneath. I often wear a skivvy (don't know what you would call it - like a long-sleeved t-shirt with a polo neck) instead of a shirt when it is cold. It also means that a sweater can be worn longer before it needs washing.

So come - what do you wear underneath your sweater?

KathyR

Go to Top of Page

nszczepanski@hotmail.com
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2003 :  12:07:46 AM  Show Profile Send nszczepanski@hotmail.com a Private Message
I heard that in Ireland they add liquid fabric softener to the water when they wash their sweaters to make them "itchless" or at least itch less!

Go to Top of Page

of troy
Permanent Resident

USA
2474 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2003 :  10:00:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit of troy's Homepage Send of troy a Private Message
i generaly find i am not bothered by wools next to my skin... i have even worn a irish/aran sweater with nothing underneath. (the real thing, not 'aran type) as a child, i was the only one who could wear angora, or other furry fibers.

but, as a child (and still as an adult) i rarely wear sweaters, since i am rarely cold. (i live in NYC, and because of move, last year i had 90% of my winter clothes in storage, so i got throught the winter with a few sweaters, and 1 polar fleese jacket..an never had a winter coat on at all!) I knit vests for myself, and i knit in cotton (which i love!)

it was interesting to read about what makes wool (of other fibers) itchy- studies have shown that newborns and neonatals do well sleeping on fleese.. babies actually need lots of tactial sensations to do well, neo natals, who aren't being cuddled, and caresed, and generally touched softly, but consistantly, by their mothers like the tactile sensations provide by fleese. (not as much as mom, but more than soft smooth blankets!)

Go to Top of Page

kpotto@hotmail.com
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2003 :  8:45:22 PM  Show Profile Send kpotto@hotmail.com a Private Message
I'm with Kristin.....long john silk. If you want to step it up a notch, Eileen Fisher has long sleeve silk "T-shirts" in whatever the color/flavor of the season it is. Keeps you warm, it breathes, and saves your sweaters a few washings!
Go to Top of Page

arlyna
New Pal

China
14 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2003 :  08:06:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit arlyna's Homepage Send arlyna a Private Message

I also seem to have problems with wool against my skin so I usually wear some long sleeve T-shirt in the winter. Also I agree with some of you that somehow wool feels even more itchy when it is hot.

So I only buy wool that doesn't have the 'wooly' texture or better yet cotton ones. Unfortunately I cannot buy cotton yarns in Shanghai!
Go to Top of Page

Licensed2Cook
Permanent Resident

USA
3554 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2003 :  06:07:49 AM  Show Profile  Send Licensed2Cook a Yahoo! Message Send Licensed2Cook a Private Message
I guess I have two sad things to share.

1) I don't really have any handknit by me sweaters to wear. I guess that's got to change LOL and

2) Because I find wool itchy, I only buy cotton, acrylic blends etc. sweaters.

I have noticed that some of the yarn I have used to make hats has wool in it or is 100% wool and some of them make my forehead itch. Cascade 220 doesn't seem to do that to me, perhaps it's a better/softer type of wool? I have still yet to try out the suggested softening/washing product that Vicky recommends, how's that spelled again Euc...?

I love buying wool yarn and I love knitting with it so this product may become my new best friend.

Dee
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 3.39 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.