Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: An Irish twist on yarn from Black Water Abbey
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 socks on one 12-inch circular?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lectrice

USA
Posted - 10/20/2003 :  3:42:09 PM  Show Profile Send lectrice a Private Message
I'm a new knitter and recently made a watch cap for a friend. When the time came to change from the circular to the dpns, I had a mini nervous breakdown. Then I remembered seeing these small Addi Turbos on a web site, and went and ordered one. When it came, I successfully completed the hat, sans dpns.

So my question is, would it be possible to substitute one 12-inch circ in a sock pattern? I know you can knit socks on two circulars, and there's a looks-complicated-to-me-though-it-probably-isn't way to do it on one long circular. But could you just use the 12 inch needle the way you would three or four dpns? I looked online for quite awhile but all one-needle patterns were for the doubled-over long needle.

If anyone has clues or hints on this, I'd appreciate it! I really want to try a sock, but if I have to wrangle dpns I think I will be skipping that for some time to come!

Thanks,
Janet

Smock7
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
491 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2003 :  4:25:19 PM  Show Profile Send Smock7 a Private Message
I once saw some 11" circulars and asked my LYS owner if I could use those for socks. She said it is extremely hard because it is hard on your wrists trying to twist the short tips in enough to work. She said she tried it or her mother had or someone (?) and it CAN be done, but it's not fun! Please let me know how it goes, I'd love to know! I ordered a book and 40" circs to make socks, but never really tried hard because I didn't like the way the cables pulled on the socks. I also bought the book and tried with 2 circs and found it faster just to use my 5DPNs. But, I'm like you and always looking for new methods. I ordered the book this morning from Queen Kahuna Crazy Toes and Heelsbook. She wrote back and said it would be mailed today, so I'm excited! http://queenkahuna-creations.com/!

Vanessa

From the Heart of Oklahoma!
Go to Top of Page

Heather
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
456 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2003 :  4:27:34 PM  Show Profile Send Heather a Private Message
I'm impressed that you were able to close the top of your hat with a circular needle! If you can do that, maybe socks wouldn't be a problem. However, since you have to close up that toe, and sock instructions always talk a lot about knitting across needle 3 or ssk at the end of needle 2 and so forth, I don't know if I would try it. But perhaps I'm just a chicken. I think if you try dpns you will be pleasantly surprised at how easy they are. I learned to knit with them from an article years ago in FamilyFun magazine that taught how to make Lovikka mittens--and it was geared to 8-yr-olds and up. Remember: you only knit with two needles at a time even with dpns!

--Heather

We are shaped and fashioned by what we love. --Goethe
Go to Top of Page

lectrice

USA
Posted - 10/20/2003 :  5:10:58 PM  Show Profile Send lectrice a Private Message
I was v-e-r-y determined with that hat top! :-) Sometimes it's good not to know what you're getting into, I guess!

I think maybe I need longer dpns. Or someone to sit with me and walk me through it. I can see that using the really short needle might get wearisome even if it can be done -- curled fingers, taut fabric. I was just hoping! Having the extra needles sort of hanging out there makes me feel like I'm all thumbs, but I should just practice on some leftover yarn so I'm not emotionally invested in the result.

The two-needle approach looks good, too, but Cat Bordi's book seems (to me, anyway) to assume you've made socks before, or are anyway a more advanced knitter than I am. One of these days I will just plunge in, I'm sure, with *some* needle or combination thereof!

Thanks for your thoughts!

Janet
Go to Top of Page

Boogie
Permanent Resident

USA
3073 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2003 :  5:20:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Boogie's Homepage Send Boogie a Private Message
I have a circular needle that is 6 inches total!
I just got it at my LYS - I use it for toddler socks - I have so many to do I thought I would try it and now I soar through making socks.

I'm not sure I could do a sock on a 12" needle but hey I dont think I could finish off a cap with one either - so maybe you can why not give it a try.
amy:)

Go to Top of Page

jane-frances
New Pal

15 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2003 :  5:41:23 PM  Show Profile Send jane-frances a Private Message
Well, sock fabric is kind of supposed to be taut. Of course preferences vary but I hate baggy socks. And when you're using DPNs, not only do you only knit with two needles at a time, you only touch two needles at a time. The rest just sort of hang there and you completely ignore them. You're not juggling four things at once. They're just "there"...I encourage you to give it a try, and don't be afraid to use yarn you love, you can always rip if you mess up, and you will be more motivated.

If the smallness of DPNs worries I don't think you should get longer ones, they will just poke you everywhere. Maybe you need to get fatter ones (like size 4 or 5) and make Wool-Ease socks. The combination of short AND skinny for regular sock needles can be intimidating at first.

I think it's cool when people invent new techniques, but I'm afraid these new methods make people even more intimidated by DPNs, like maybe thinking "if people are scrambling about for alternatives, then DPNs must be really awful!" I tried the Magic Loop method (using one long circ for everything) and DPNs are much easier! I recently ordered Cat Bordi's two circulars book - I couldn't make sense of the free tutorials I found for that method online, so I don't know yet. If it's anything like Magic Loop, I'm not looking forward to it, but I'm keeping an open mind.

Go to Top of Page

achrisvet
Permanent Resident

USA
5986 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2003 :  6:57:55 PM  Show Profile Send achrisvet a Private Message
Dpns aren't bad once you get past the first couple of rounds.

Here's something to try. If you want huge thick warm socks to wear around the house, make the free pattern for Cottage Socks from Lion Brand. You use I think size 13 Dpns and WoolEase Thick and Quick which is inexpensive and very bulky. It knits very fast and when you are done you will understand the parts of a sock and be used to dpns.

Just a thought.

Anita

See my completed projects!
http://www.picturetrail.com/achrisvet
Go to Top of Page

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2003 :  7:09:21 PM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
I'm definitely a 2 circs convert. Then you don't have to worry about different length for things. The 2 online sites that look most helpful for learning to do it are:

http://ingridknits.tripod.com/dt.html

and

http://www.needletrax.com/twocirculars.htm

Barbara

"I know we've got one SOMEWHERE"
Go to Top of Page

Spinnerella
Permanent Resident

1040 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2003 :  9:16:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Spinnerella's Homepage Send Spinnerella a Private Message
To answer your question, it is apparently possible to knit socks on one 12" circ, at least that is what they say in the directions for the Fortissima Fair Isle socks that you can get off the internet. However, they say that you will have to change to dpn's when you start to decrease for the toe. I, personally, prefer to use wooden dpn's, and not the longer length (which drive me crazy) but the little 5" ones. I do use five, and that helps. I have tried to get enthusiastic about the 2 circs, but really prefer the dpn's. If I can find the location of that Fortissima pattern, I will get back to you.

Go to Top of Page

lectrice

USA
Posted - 10/20/2003 :  9:34:12 PM  Show Profile Send lectrice a Private Message
Thanks for the Lion Brand socks idea. That sounds like something I should try. I have big hands (which did, admittedly, make using the 12-inch circ for the hat a little awkward!) so it might be more user-friendly for me!

I was trying to use 5.5-inch size 7s for the hat. They're Brittany birches. I was thinking longer might be better so I didn't feel like I was working with fat toothpicks, but maybe it's just that I need to get used to the process altogether. Anyone want to come over and show me how? I can offer a loaf of homemade French bread and some roasted garlic in return! ;-)

Janet

Go to Top of Page

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2003 :  11:38:33 PM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
quote:
Anyone want to come over and show me how? I can offer a loaf of homemade French bread and some roasted garlic in return! ;-)

Janet

Does the offer include crash space?? If so, I'm there. I'll teach you dpns, 2 circs, magic loop (that one I have to learn myself, first ). Sounds like fun. But I think I'll need more food than that after all that exertion!!

Barbara

"I know we've got one SOMEWHERE"
Go to Top of Page

jade
Permanent Resident

USA
1543 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2003 :  07:25:29 AM  Show Profile Send jade a Private Message
Janet,

I would *hate* to try a 12" circular. My handspan is close to that so I can't imagine trying to fit my two hands onto the points of such a small circle and still manipulate yarn.

If you can't get the hang of using 2 circulars, go back to the dpns and try a longer needle length. They come in 6 and 8" lengths. And I suggest sticking to wood, my preference is for bamboo. The friction will help to keep the tiny stitches under control.

I think circular knitting is a bit like riding a bicycle. It seems horribly complicated at first, but suddenly you will get it and everything will be simple after that.

Good luck,
Cheryl

Go to Top of Page

michele
Chatty Knitter

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2003 :  11:08:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit michele's Homepage Send michele a Private Message
amy, what brand was that 6 inch circ. you just purchased? plastic, metal or wood?
michele

Go to Top of Page

knitkitty
New Pal

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2003 :  2:45:08 PM  Show Profile Send knitkitty a Private Message
Letrice,

You sure can make socks on 12" circs-that's the way I do it, and have never done it any other way. Of course, you'll need to use dps on the toes or use the magic loop method.

Personally, I've never had a problem with my hands cramping from using the short circs (and I don't have smallhands.)

Kitty
Go to Top of Page

lectrice

USA
Posted - 10/21/2003 :  7:31:32 PM  Show Profile Send lectrice a Private Message
quote:

Does the offer include crash space?? If so, I'm there. I'll teach you dpns, 2 circs, magic loop (that one I have to learn myself, first ). Sounds like fun. But I think I'll need more food than that after all that exertion!!

Sure! Scones, pizza, herb baked chicken... is there a knitting-skill-to-food-item key somewhere?

Janet

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.64 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?