Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Rowan Kidsilk Haze! HELP!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Trina
Permanent Resident

USA
1871 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2003 :  4:43:38 PM  Show Profile Send Trina a Private Message
I posted this in another area but got no replies & I need help now. Have a pattern for a funnel scarf that uses Kidsilk Haze & a circular 16" #8 needle. I find this stuff tough to work with because you aren't double stranding & this is very fine. The pattern is simple enough, but the yarn is making me crazy! Any suggestions??? Maybe another fine yarn that isn't mohair??? ANY help would be appreciated because I've been at it for 2 hours & am losing it! Thanks!

Hold fast to dreams
For if dreams die
Life is a broken-winged bird that cannot fly.
-Langston Hughes

Licensed2Cook
Permanent Resident

USA
3554 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2003 :  4:57:38 PM  Show Profile  Send Licensed2Cook a Yahoo! Message Send Licensed2Cook a Private Message
I had trouble with mohair too but when I posted about it I got some great suggestions for dealing with it. Check in the "Never Again" forum for my posting on mohair.

BTW I love Kidsilk Haze

Dee
Go to Top of Page

klfrazier
Permanent Resident

1745 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2003 :  5:03:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit klfrazier's Homepage Send klfrazier a Private Message
kidsilk haze is one of my favs. I just bought enough of it today for a shawl! My only piece of advice is to wind the yarn through your fingers to help control tension. (over index finger, under middle, over ring) it might also help to use needles with a bit of 'stick' to them, like bamboo or anything but metal.

Kristin

Go to Top of Page

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2003 :  6:51:28 PM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
quote:

I posted this in another area but got no replies & I need help now. Have a pattern for a funnel scarf that uses Kidsilk Haze & a circular 16" #8 needle. I find this stuff tough to work with because you aren't double stranding & this is very fine. The pattern is simple enough, but the yarn is making me crazy! Any suggestions??? Maybe another fine yarn that isn't mohair??? ANY help would be appreciated because I've been at it for 2 hours & am losing it! Thanks!

I made (OK, I started) a shawl in mohair once, but it was double stranded. Why can't you double strand yours? If not, adding another fine yarn sounds like an excellent idea, although, of course, you won't end up with exactly the same thing as in the pattern. Never a consideration for me.

Barbara

"I know we've got one SOMEWHERE"
Go to Top of Page

Trina
Permanent Resident

USA
1871 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2003 :  8:10:12 PM  Show Profile Send Trina a Private Message
Kristin, how many skeins did you have to buy to make a shawl? I admit it's very soft & has some really pretty colors. I've never used mohair before, so this is new to me. A shawl would probably be gorgeous- I envy that you can work with it so easily! I will take your advice & will try winding the yarn around my fingers. Thanks ladies for the help. I really want to work with this because it's a bit of a challenge! I'll keep you posted on my progress! Thanks again!

Hold fast to dreams
For if dreams die
-Langston Hughes
Go to Top of Page

klfrazier
Permanent Resident

1745 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2003 :  8:26:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit klfrazier's Homepage Send klfrazier a Private Message
I bought 3 skeins of cream, and I'm basing this on Sharon Miller's new line of "Simply Stunning" patterns on her website. ( http://www.heirloom-knitting.co.uk/heirloom_knitting.html ) I haven't bought the pattern yet. In fact, I haven't decided which one of her patterns I like the most! Probably #1, though.

I am interested in your funnel pattern, though.... It sounds like a scarf that I recently purchased. The price was right, and I thought i could duplicate it later. Where did you get your pattern? My scarf is made of an ultra soft yarn that is somewhere between an eyelash and fur, but I think kidsilk haze would be perfect.

And no, it was not easy when I first picked up the Kidsilk Haze. I had lots of guage problems at the beginning. I had bought a skein for no other reason than I liked it and wanted to play with it. Thank goodness I did that. I was able to get my frustrations out on practice before I tried an actual pattern. I certainly sympathize. the stuff is horrid to frog.

Let us know how it goes!

Kristin

Go to Top of Page

oneangel77
Gabber Extraordinaire

453 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2003 :  10:27:09 PM  Show Profile Send oneangel77 a Private Message
Hi Trina, I am working on my second sweater using the Kidsilk and I know how frustrating it can be to work with. I think part of what makes it harder to work with is the silk in it makes it slipper-ie (don't know if I spelled that right ). But if you can grin and bear it you will be so happy with the end product.

Angela

Go to Top of Page

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2003 :  10:39:36 PM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
quote:

I bought 3 skeins of cream, and I'm basing this on Sharon Miller's new line of "Simply Stunning" patterns on her website. ( http://www.heirloom-knitting.co.uk/heirloom_knitting.html ) I haven't bought the pattern yet. In fact, I haven't decided which one of her patterns I like the most! Probably #1, though.

OH, wow. Aside from the fact that I don't wear shawls (So why, you ask, did I buy the Richesse patterns? I dunno!) I'd buy the complete set. They're gorgeoud. And I have a 10pack of the kidsilk = 3 shawls!!! Of course, they'd all be the same colour. Oh, well.

Barbara

Go to Top of Page

myshelle10
Permanent Resident

USA
2749 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2003 :  12:47:51 AM  Show Profile Send myshelle10 a Private Message
Those are *gorgeous* :) If I had any occasion to wear a shawl like that!!! :) Hmm...

makes me look at kidsilk haze... beautiful stuff :)

myshelle

(p.s. if the yarn is real slippery, I often find that bamboo or wooden needles help :) i know others have suggested it, but here's another one )

:)

Go to Top of Page

jade
Permanent Resident

USA
1543 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2003 :  08:36:25 AM  Show Profile Send jade a Private Message
Trina,

I replied to your post in the other section of the forum. What is driving you crazy about the yarn? Is it too slippery, too fuzzy, too fine?

If you've never knitted with this fine a yarn, it will take some practice to get used to the difference in tension but that will come eventually. Stay with it - it's beautiful yarn and will look spectacular.

Cheryl

Go to Top of Page

klfrazier
Permanent Resident

1745 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2003 :  10:38:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit klfrazier's Homepage Send klfrazier a Private Message
You know, I don't actually have a reason to wear one of these shawls...but I'll be ready just in case!

Kristin

Go to Top of Page

Trina
Permanent Resident

USA
1871 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2003 :  11:57:22 AM  Show Profile Send Trina a Private Message
Thank you ladies! I will keep at it & use all the suggestions you gave me. I find the yarn slippery & to make matters worse, I have it on an Addi-Turbo instead of bamboo because we had MAJOR rain & flooding here yesterday & I didn't want to drive to the LYS to get new needles. I can't switch them either because this scarf is knitted in the round! I am going very s l o w l y & finished my first round without a problem. I don't want to frog it & start on bamboo, so I will persevere with the Addi"s. There's no hurry anyway-just liked the pattern & wanted a challenge! I got one with the yarn!I'll let you know how it goes!

Hold fast to dreams
For if dreams die
-Langston Hughes
Go to Top of Page

myshelle10
Permanent Resident

USA
2749 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2003 :  12:07:08 PM  Show Profile Send myshelle10 a Private Message
You can still switch them (although bamboo may change your tension!)... you just need bamboo circulars (someone else here was talking about loving the Clover circulars)

myshelle (good luck!)

Go to Top of Page

Annemieke
Chatty Knitter

Netherlands
185 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2003 :  12:55:48 PM  Show Profile Send Annemieke a Private Message
Hi Trina, I know the feeling: I am using heather-colored KSH for my first proper lace shawl: it's hard work!
Of course I don't have a choice of needles (we only have INOX), but I am by now able to maintain my tension.
By now my (oblong, tablecloth pattern) shawl is about 35 x 25 inches, and I havent even finished my first 1 oz ball!!!!!!
Talk about gossamer,,,,,,,,

We'll both get there eventually, I'm sure.
BTW I mailed my square yesterday, wonder when it will arrive.

Stich by stich will do it!

Annemieke

I don't want to prevent life from happening to me
Go to Top of Page

Trina
Permanent Resident

USA
1871 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2003 :  3:27:54 PM  Show Profile Send Trina a Private Message
Myshelle, how can I get the yarn on to a bamboo circular? I thought you could only change needles on straight ones? Annemieke, thank you! I will let you know when I get your square. Did you evr get my email? I imagine not-you didn't reply, so I figure that's out in space somewhere!!! Your shawl sounds lovely! Where did you get the pattern? I LOVE shawls & stoles & ponchos.

Hold fast to dreams
For if dreams die
-Langston Hughes
Go to Top of Page

Kiwiknitter
Chatty Knitter

124 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2003 :  4:41:53 PM  Show Profile Send Kiwiknitter a Private Message
I have just made a shawl using a single strand of KSH. It was a Sharon Miller pattern that was in the Rowan No 34 book. Took three balls, but I added a garter stitch edging on the advice of some experienced lace knitters on the Rowan Forum. I used bamboo needles to avoid the slipping problems and did not find it difficult once I had the pattern established. The result is beautiful. I have also purchased the set of shawl patterns that Sharon Miller produced for the KSH.
A suggestion for blocking when finished: I pinned it out on the bedroom floor to the correct size and then spritzed it with a water bottle, enough to dampen it and then let it dry.

Christine
Go to Top of Page

girlgenius
Chatty Knitter

150 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2003 :  4:49:39 PM  Show Profile Send girlgenius a Private Message
WARNING: SHAMELESS PLUG AHEAD
Hi, Trina:
I had the devil of a time with this yarn, too - but I got a shawl thing and an article out of it. The article is in the summer 03 issue of knitty, at www.knitty.com.
The reason I don't feel bad about plugging the article is this: I got many emails in response to the article from people who also had a terrible time with Kidsilk Haze and were encouraged by my relative success.

Best of luck!
Kate

Stumbling through the fiber arts
Go to Top of Page

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2003 :  4:58:49 PM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
quote:

Myshelle, how can I get the yarn on to a bamboo circular? I thought you could only change needles on straight ones?

You can change needles anytime you want. You can either knit from the old ones onto the new ones, or slip your stitches from one to the other.

If you're knitting flat, start at the beginning of a row, if you're knitting round, start at the beginning of a round. Just pretend your new needle is the other end of your circ.

Barbara

Go to Top of Page

Heather
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
456 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2003 :  5:00:34 PM  Show Profile Send Heather a Private Message
Trina, to switch needles whilst using circs, just start using one end of the new needle (at the beginning of a round is easiest) and knit away using one new end and one old end. Gradually the whole piece will end up on the new circ just as it was on the old. After you knit the last stitch off of the old circ, just use both ends (like usual) of the new circs. Clear as mud? Try it--it's not hard.

--Heather

We are shaped and fashioned by what we love. --Goethe
Go to Top of Page

Heather
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
456 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2003 :  5:02:15 PM  Show Profile Send Heather a Private Message
Sorry Barbara--you must have posted your answer while I was still typing mine! You are much more succinct and clear than I.

--Heather

Go to Top of Page

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2003 :  7:24:12 PM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
quote:

Sorry Barbara--you must have posted your answer while I was still typing mine! You are much more succinct and clear than I.

--Heather

Don't you just hate when that happens!?

And taking my own advice, I found a solution to knitting too loose/tight, but you have to have interchangables to do it, and be knitting in the round.

I knit a little too loose, but I find if I tighten up, I end up fighting to get my needle into the stitch, and splitting the stitches. So, when I had to go up a needle size on the skirt I'm working on, I changed the needle tip on the right to knit onto, and as I was working away, it occurred to me that I didn't have to change the left one. So I can knit snuggly, and still easily knit into the old stitches.

Kate, thanks for the plug. I missed your article the first time around, so I went back to that issue and read it.

Now I want to make that shawl, even though I've never done cables. I've even requested the book out of the library!!

Barbara

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.8 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by