Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Knitting Machine Talk
 Standard Gauge Machines
 Passap vs brother or toyota?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sinnamongirl
New Pal

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2007 :  10:59:33 AM  Show Profile Send sinnamongirl a Private Message

What is the difference? I've been looking for a nice punch card machine, standard guage w/ a ribber. I then saw a couple passap duo80's on ebay and thought I'd ask why passap is considered the 'cadillac' of knitting machines...

maggie@cooperfam.co.uk
New Pal

9 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2007 :  8:59:45 PM  Show Profile Send maggie@cooperfam.co.uk a Private Message
I know this is an old thread but I had to respond. Passap double bed machines, which the duo 80 is, are fantastic machines. They were brilliantly egineered, will last forever if kept in good condition and cleaned regularly. Brother and Toyota machines are great machines but they arent true double bed machines. They can't produce some of the stitch types a true double bed mahine can. TheDuo 80 can knit the finet gossamer threads up to a medium weight double knit. It knits the most wonderful jacquard knits with no floats, tuck stitch patterns on both beds, in fact you both beds are identical, so you can if you wish create the most fantastic crunchy textured stitch designs by just selecting groups of pushers on both beds and different carriage settings on each bed. The Duo 80 wont knit as ast as a Brother or Toyotasingle bed machine, but they can't compete with the range of stitches the Passap can create.
The Passap does have a drawback, if you leave it unused for a long period of time you have to strip it and clean it with denatured alcahol and very fine machine oil. The pushers, (they are what it uses to create jacquard and stitch patterns) have to be removed and cleaned. A tedious job but one you have to do if you want a machine that purrs. I own a duo 80 and a passap E6000, I also own three brother machines, each is different, each produces lovely fabric, but my Duo, well that is in a class of its own.

mags
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?