Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: We welcome a succulent Merino from Patagonia
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 polyester bras & computers!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

slohrer
New Pal

Canada
12 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2003 :  10:23:28 AM  Show Profile Send slohrer a Private Message
DH is a computer tech, and he had the most interesting dialogue with some secretaries. Every fall, there was a rash of computers locking up. After some brainstorming they came up with this theory: The static electricity that sweaters make causes computer problems, and is especially bad when there's a polyester bra involved. It's a good idea to ground yourself once in a while by touching the filing cabinet or another large metal object. Also, a plastic mat under the chair is good for moving the chair, and bad for static.

BLN3320
Permanent Resident

USA
3808 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2003 :  10:36:57 AM  Show Profile Send BLN3320 a Private Message
Hi, Slohrer: Thank you for the information. Makes sense. Take care. Beverley

Bev
Go to Top of Page

thevalkyry
Sustaining Member

USA
736 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2003 :  11:14:08 AM  Show Profile Send thevalkyry a Private Message
what a wild theory - yet it makes a certain amount of sense :)

Food, Gas, Rent.. and Yarn
Go to Top of Page

loulouknits
Chatty Knitter

USA
123 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2003 :  11:31:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit loulouknits's Homepage Send loulouknits a Private Message
I don't mean to pry, but what do you think about your hubby talking bras with those secretaries? Just Kidding...

This is wild. Before you know it management will be restricting the wearing of wool and polyester around computers.

IN STITCHES
LouLouKnits
http://www.friend.ly.net/~acm/page2.html
Go to Top of Page

myshelle10
Permanent Resident

USA
2749 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2003 :  12:11:35 PM  Show Profile Send myshelle10 a Private Message
I know it makes sense...

but in my imagination I tried to see a staff meeting-- everyone around a conference table-- discussing the fiber content of his or her undergarments...

Gotta be careful about laughing out loud at work! LOL :)

myshelle

Go to Top of Page

lemons
Permanent Resident

1692 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2003 :  12:38:52 PM  Show Profile Send lemons a Private Message
Thanks for bringing this up. Our computer is in a cold room with a wool carpet, and my winter sweats and/or longies (as in -johns) have a polyester component. I finally learned to put my hand on the (cold) radiator first and then reach out for my first touch on the CPU/keyboard/screen. Otherwise, it'd spark out.

lemons of missouri

Go to Top of Page

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2003 :  4:47:07 PM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
Static electricity is bad for computers (and any other electronic media such as tapes, diskettes, etc), as are power surges and magnets. We've become complacent because computers have become so everyday.

My sister lost her very first home computer (and Apple IIe) when somebody touched the user, giving him a shock. Plooooeeee. Gone.

They're a little more robust now, but you still need to be careful.

The solution, of course, is to stop wearing bras. Isn't that obvious??

Barbara

"I know we've got one SOMEWHERE"
Go to Top of Page

Heather
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
456 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2003 :  5:06:36 PM  Show Profile Send Heather a Private Message
I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!

--Heather

We are shaped and fashioned by what we love. --Goethe
Go to Top of Page

CatherineM
Permanent Resident

USA
3363 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2003 :  5:18:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit CatherineM's Homepage Send CatherineM a Private Message
This used to be a problem with pantyhose. I hadn't thought of this in years, but my husband used to run into this occasionally with phantom computer problems - if the user's thighs rub together in pantyhose and then she touches the keyboard, it could create a weird static charge. I haven't thought of that one in 15 years! Computers aren't as dainty as they were "back in the day" but I guess it can still happen.

On a similar note, my daughter still cannot wear a watch because she stops them - something in her body actually makes them quit working. We tried many types of watches over the years, finally gave up. Her cellphone doesn't seem to be affected by the problem. But she definitely carried a high static charge, even as a skinny child in cotton clothing - her father used to make her take off her socks and make sure her little feet could touch the floor when she used the computer as a child, because she could shut down our old 386 just by using it if she wasn't grounded. (She could also hear the faint change in the sound of a hard drive that signaled an impending head crash and warn her daddy before it happened. She was a spooky little kid.) Thanks for bringing back a wacky family memory!

Catherine
http://www.yorkiedog.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

schoolmama
Permanent Resident

USA
2310 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2003 :  6:33:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit schoolmama's Homepage Send schoolmama a Private Message
LOL, I will mention this to my dh, who comes across some wacky computer problems at work. My ds, who also works with computers used to have this plastic mat that was wired to the ground in an outlet, and you had to touch the mat before touching the computer. Not sure if it really worked, but we still have a couple of them out in the shed.... Barb

"OF ALL THE THINGS I HAVE LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST!"
Go to Top of Page

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2003 :  7:36:41 PM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
quote:
(She could also hear the faint change in the sound of a hard drive that signaled an impending head crash and warn her daddy before it happened. She was a spooky little kid.) Thanks for bringing back a wacky family memory!

Catherine
http://www.yorkiedog.blogspot.com

Now that sounds like a useful skill!!

quote:
My ds, who also works with computers used to have this plastic mat that was wired to the ground in an outlet, and you had to touch the mat before touching the computer. Not sure if it really worked, but we still have a couple of them out in the shed.

They're called anti-static mats (I used to sell office furniture), and as far as I know, they did work. You could also get a much smaller thing to go on your desk.

Barbara

"I know we've got one SOMEWHERE"
Go to Top of Page

schoolmama
Permanent Resident

USA
2310 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2003 :  9:29:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit schoolmama's Homepage Send schoolmama a Private Message
The ones we have do go on a desk- They are bigger than the space that a monitor takes up. Barb

"OF ALL THE THINGS I HAVE LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST!"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.95 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?