Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Novelty yarns
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

klfrazier
Permanent Resident

1745 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2003 :  11:58:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit klfrazier's Homepage Send klfrazier a Private Message
Ellen,

I'm not sure exactly how many rabbits I had at once, but it was probably around 30-40 ish. Mine were French and Giant angoras, both of which are excellent for spinning.

Unfortunatly, I never made a garment out of their wool. Most of it was used for demonstrations and the like. Plus, it's so darn hot that you almost wouldn't want a 100% angora sweater. I still regret that I didn't keep most of it.

Angora rabbits molt about every 13 weeks, and you harvest the fiber through plucking. It looks painful to humans, but you just pull the hair off of the rabbit's body. They actually appreciate it. If you don't pluck their wool they get sick. Anyway, it does take the full coats of approximately 13 rabbits to make a sweater!

Kristin

Go to Top of Page

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2003 :  12:57:12 PM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
quote:

but anyway, back to the topic, i didnt know that bernet, i dont think thats right...well, some other middle range yarn co. carries eyelash yarn, it was at hobby lobby, they've increased there uh, yarn supply, and needle, i was impressed, they had clover bamboo, mostly sold out, lol, another aisle (sp) of yarn, and they had 16 in. circulars!!! i was like, ok, finally they got smart, and they have more colors of other yarns. ill be going back sometime soon.

-God bless, take care, and dont eat soap!

Isn't the bernat boa lovely? and so affordable. I pick up a ball or two almost everytime I see it. Someday, I might even decide what to do with it.

Barbara

"I know we've got one SOMEWHERE"
Go to Top of Page

Pinky Yarn
Permanent Resident

USA
1045 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2003 :  1:03:06 PM  Show Profile Send Pinky Yarn a Private Message
yes, its awesome, they only had a few balls left and i see why!! It seems like it has a "softer" look then lion brand fun fur, they had a beautiful color there. and sarah, i realised i didnt dream that one bouncle, its from bernet not lion brand, lol.

Go to Top of Page

shinnl1@comcast.net
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2003 :  1:13:41 PM  Show Profile Send shinnl1@comcast.net a Private Message
I enjoy these yarns. I always find something that I want to try.
Go to Top of Page

DebiL
New Pal

5 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2003 :  1:47:56 PM  Show Profile Send DebiL a Private Message
I think the novelty yarns are great! They can add spice to any project and are flashy enough to attract **not-yet** knitters to our craft. Anything that brings new people to knitting is a good thing as it supports LYS and all things knitterly.

I don't think novelty yarns will ever replace tha classic fibers and patterns but they do have a very definite appeal IMHO.

On a related but slightly off topic note: has anyone ever blocked anything made with EROS? (see, that's a novelty yarn, hehe) I made a shawl a few months ago and I think it would look better blocked but I'm not sure how to do it...It's a synthetic fiber so I wouldn't want to use heat (pressing it) and I hesitate to steam/wet block it as the label DOES NOT even provide care instuctions at all!!

Does anyone have experience/suggestions?

Go to Top of Page

Irishmom90@aol.com

Posted - 10/25/2003 :  2:00:46 PM  Show Profile Send Irishmom90@aol.com a Private Message
All yarns have their place! We just have to use what we like best and then at times, "explore" the others!
Enjoy! Keep those needles flying!!
Go to Top of Page

maidenspg
New Pal

8 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2003 :  2:11:14 PM  Show Profile Send maidenspg a Private Message
My particular favorite eyelash is from Mustachio, followed by Kretzer's Fizz. I use them constantly for a pet project, making wild colored caps for women/children who have lost there hair to chemo treatments of cancer. I do this in memory of friends I have lost to cancer...and in appreciation for the lives of friends saved by chemotherapy.
A "Google" search on "chemo caps" will give you a long list of places where patterns/directions can be found.
The soft feel of the fun fur is soothing to the sometimes tender scalps. Plus! The dynamite colors make a happy statement of hope. Most women tire quickly of wearing a wig especially at home.
The novelty yarn fills a need in this sense.
I leave my caps directly with oncology departments at hospitals or oncology doctors' offices. If you donate them to American Cancer Society (at least the chapter where I am located), they sell them which is not my intent at all.
Don't know what I'd do if I couldn't find eyelash yarns!!! (and, yes, I can knit these caps in my sleep now )
Go to Top of Page

hobbitknitter
Permanent Resident

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2003 :  2:47:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit hobbitknitter's Homepage Send hobbitknitter a Private Message
quote:

sarah, i realised i didnt dream that one bouncle, its from bernet not lion brand, lol.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So- you picking up some of your dream yarn??? hehehehehe...., that is SO funny. :-)
sarah

S. Eliz.
Keep on knitting on!
See my gallery: www.pagebypage.com/board/index.php(In photo gallery pages, under S for Sarah Elizabeth)
Go to Top of Page

Elaine@PA
New Pal

16 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2003 :  3:13:20 PM  Show Profile Send Elaine@PA a Private Message
I think the knitting world has room for the novelty yarns as well as all the others. I spent the day at a craft demo day at a Ben Franklin's. I knitted with Trendsetter's yarns. Not only does it attract adult women to learn how to knit, but quite a few pre-teen age girls want to learn to knit with it to make scarves.
Back in the late '70's and '80's knitting made a come back and we thought it was a "phase". It is still going strong. I think that is how the knitting and crocheting interest will be.
Elaine in PA

Go to Top of Page

fiberarchitect
New Pal

4 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2003 :  3:38:33 PM  Show Profile Send fiberarchitect a Private Message
I think calling them "novelty" yarns is the first mistake. I prefer the term "specialty" yarns. I think novelty implies something intrinsically cheap or without much value. Frankly, I think teaching new knitters to knit in stockinette with tiny needles so that all of their mistakes show and producing a mistake-filled anything takes many weeks is the PRIMARY reason we lose many people (and that includes men like yours truly)who would otherwise become real knitters. I always have people start with multiple strands on large needles with textural yarns. You can be proud of your first scarf and jazzed about new techniques and traditional patterns as time goes by. Some may never move past scarves, but that's OK. And some will be cabling and circular knitting and bobbling and making lace before you know it. And no, you don't ever have to make a sweater to be a "real" knitter. Another joy killing fossil attitude. I say thank the knitting gods for specialty yarns!
Go to Top of Page

Pen
Warming Up

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2003 :  4:22:36 PM  Show Profile Send Pen a Private Message
I have never knitted anything all in novelty yarn but I do like to use them to add interest to a sweater or scarf...

Go to Top of Page

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2003 :  9:23:37 PM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
quote:

I think calling them "novelty" yarns is the first mistake. I prefer the term "specialty" yarns. I think novelty implies something intrinsically cheap or without much value. Frankly, I think teaching new knitters to knit in stockinette with tiny needles so that all of their mistakes show and producing a mistake-filled anything takes many weeks is the PRIMARY reason we lose many people (and that includes men like yours truly)who would otherwise become real knitters. I always have people start with multiple strands on large needles with textural yarns. You can be proud of your first scarf and jazzed about new techniques and traditional patterns as time goes by. Some may never move past scarves, but that's OK. And some will be cabling and circular knitting and bobbling and making lace before you know it. And no, you don't ever have to make a sweater to be a "real" knitter. Another joy killing fossil attitude. I say thank the knitting gods for specialty yarns!

I taught my daughter to knit with large circular needles in a fairly heavy yarn and a loose stitch. Mistakes were practically invisible, and she was thrilled. I like your idea of calling them specialty rather than novelty yarns.

Barbara

Go to Top of Page

lectrice

USA
Posted - 10/25/2003 :  9:47:04 PM  Show Profile Send lectrice a Private Message
quote:

Frankly, I think teaching new knitters to knit in stockinette with tiny needles so that all of their mistakes show and producing a mistake-filled anything takes many weeks is the PRIMARY reason we lose many people (and that includes men like yours truly)who would otherwise become real knitters. I always have people start with multiple strands on large needles with textural yarns. You can be proud of your first scarf and jazzed about new techniques and traditional patterns as time goes by.

I agree... my first two projects were Sally Melville Shape-It scarves in Trendsetter Dune, two different colorways, for my sisters's Christmas presents. They're not perfect, and I can see the non-perfection when I inspect them, but I kinda doubt my sisters will, and the yarn is so impressive that it lets your eyes gloss over any loose stitches or whatever.

I did, however, at first feel like I was knitting with tinsel! I was saying, "Oh my God, oh my God," as I knitted along, until I got the hang of it.

quote:
And no, you don't ever have to make a sweater to be a "real" knitter. Another joy killing fossil attitude.

Yeah, I feel some pressure to make something with collars and sleeves and button bands and all sorts of joining and "AT THE SAME TIME" and whatnot. Since I'm flying blind, though, my most adventurous thing has been a shawl with some lace. I'll try to remind myself of this, though. New mantra: I don't have to make a sweater to be a real knitter... I don't have to make a sweater to be a real knitter...

Janet

Go to Top of Page

thevalkyry
Sustaining Member

USA
736 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2003 :  01:42:20 AM  Show Profile Send thevalkyry a Private Message
quote:

New mantra: I don't have to make a sweater to be a real knitter... I don't have to make a sweater to be a real knitter...

GREAT mantra!!! I have a friend who has never made a sweater. Only socks - and socks - and more socks. She's still a bona fide knitter tho :)

Food, Gas, Rent.. and Yarn
Go to Top of Page

reddeviltj@yahoo.com
New Pal

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2003 :  03:31:08 AM  Show Profile  Send reddeviltj@yahoo.com a Yahoo! Message Send reddeviltj@yahoo.com a Private Message
I got addicted to the novelty yarns in a big way when I took my textiles classes in college and realized that if I bought the white novelties and dyed them myself I would get awesome results. My basement is full of white yarns and yarns I've dyed. Now, anyone got any suggestions on how I can find time to knit with all this yarn? I found that Robin and Russ Handweavers in Oregon is an excellent source of the white yarns in different weights and textures. Recently, I found eBay to be a great place, also.
Go to Top of Page

momrnc
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
443 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2003 :  05:29:42 AM  Show Profile Send momrnc a Private Message
Variety is the spice of life--To each his own--Whatever floats your boat--the more the merrier, etc. The idea is to enjoy your knitting and enjoy what you've knitted no matter what the project or the yarn. Thankfully, there's something out there for every knitter's tastes

Kathy

"There's amazing strength in a willing hand, there are victories that you've never planned"
Go to Top of Page

Magnolia
New Pal

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2003 :  06:38:38 AM  Show Profile Send Magnolia a Private Message
Hehe... novelty or specialty, they certainly aren't all "cheap"! I made my mom a scarf for Christmas last year out of Great Adirondack "Fluff". I don't usually like feathery eyelash yarns, but this stuff was soooooo soft, and it looks so sleek and shiny when you're finished. Definitely worth it. I usually knit mostly socks and hats with plain old wool, but the Fluff just caught my eye in the LYS, and mom wouldn't put it down .

Mag
Go to Top of Page

hobbitknitter
Permanent Resident

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2003 :  06:52:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit hobbitknitter's Homepage Send hobbitknitter a Private Message
quote:

Variety is the spice of life--To each his own--Whatever floats your boat--the more the merrier, etc. The idea is to enjoy your knitting and enjoy what you've knitted no matter what the project or the yarn. Thankfully, there's something out there for every knitter's tastes

Kathy

"There's amazing strength in a willing hand, there are victories that you've never planned"

Ditto!

(hey, that smily spells ditto wrong....)
Sarah

S. Eliz.
Keep on knitting on!
See my gallery: www.pagebypage.com/board/index.php(In photo gallery pages, under S for Sarah Elizabeth)
Go to Top of Page

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2003 :  08:12:49 AM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
quote:
Ditto!

(hey, that smily spells ditto wrong....)
Sarah

S. Eliz.

What, you expect a Smily to know how to spell???

Barbara

Go to Top of Page

Roxbarb2
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2003 :  08:17:43 AM  Show Profile Send Roxbarb2 a Private Message
I love all the new novelty yarns! Back when I started knitting (c. 1964)there were no novelty yarns. Mohair was about as novelty as it got. Everything seemed very plain jane - I always did go for lots of color which was sometimes hard to come by. I use the novelty yarns mostly for scarves, combining two or sometimes three of them or adding one or two to a plain yarn. Good for when you need a small or fairly mindless project. I also love all the more traditional yarns out there, but I hope all these "crazy" yarns are here to stay

Roxi

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 2.2 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.