Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: We welcome a succulent Merino from Patagonia
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Novelty yarns
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Peg1109@hbcsc.net

Posted - 10/26/2003 :  10:14:04 AM  Show Profile Send Peg1109@hbcsc.net a Private Message
the novelty yarns are great - but i keep finding my way home to the basics...wool and wool blends. but the novelty yarns are a great trim. prices are spendy though.
Go to Top of Page

Hello Knitty
Permanent Resident

1069 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2003 :  11:11:10 AM  Show Profile Send Hello Knitty a Private Message
Three cheers for the specialty yarns! I'd be bored stiff and wouldn't knit as much without them. I can't wear animal fibers and there's only so many cotton sweaters I need or want. I have a zillion Tecnohair scarves, hats and mitts trimmed with all sorts of glittery, sparkly furry yarns, and long sparkly scarves. Are ribbon yarns novelty? Then I've got three gorgeous ribbon pullovers. I love traditional fibres- jus can't wear them but I think all these new fab yarns allow for more fashionalbe knitting.

Go to Top of Page

hobbitknitter
Permanent Resident

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2003 :  11:14:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit hobbitknitter's Homepage Send hobbitknitter a Private Message
quote:

quote:
Ditto!

(hey, that smily spells ditto wrong....)
Sarah

S. Eliz.

What, you expect a Smily to know how to spell???

Barbara

"I know we've got one SOMEWHERE"

Yep, I sure do! especially when my computer endlessly corrects my spelling!
LOL
Sarah

S. Eliz.
Keep on knitting on!
See my gallery: www.pagebypage.com/board/index.php(In photo gallery pages, under S for Sarah Elizabeth)
Go to Top of Page

myshelle10
Permanent Resident

USA
2749 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2003 :  2:08:46 PM  Show Profile Send myshelle10 a Private Message
Gotta say, they have their place for me.

I just finished that baby blanket-- 40 inch diamete on 6's...

and now I'm starting a quick scarf w/ two furry yarns held together on 10's-- I managed to knit 12" of it last night- Can't beat a little instant gratification every now and again :)

myshelle (whose friend will *love* the furry scarf!)

Go to Top of Page

franacropan

United Kingdom
Posted - 10/26/2003 :  2:22:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit franacropan's Homepage Send franacropan a Private Message
I have noticed that the newer novelty yarns are considered "cool" by kids and teens and they will actually ask for a handmade scarf or hat or garment trimmed with it. Normally if clothing ain't from a top store they won't be seen wearing it.
The newer, really fluffy novelty yarns are fun to work with in small doses but I still prefer the thousands of patterns and textures that you can create with a plain yarn. They don't show up with most novelty yarns. I agree with other posters, they are great for new knitters, you can ceate a fun garment with just garter stitch or plain stocking stitch, and, once hooked on knitting.......well...we all know what happens

Fran at

Morecambe Sands
Go to Top of Page

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2003 :  8:44:34 PM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
quote:
The newer, really fluffy novelty yarns are fun to work with in small doses but I still prefer the thousands of patterns and textures that you can create with a plain yarn. They don't show up with most novelty yarns. I agree with other posters, they are great for new knitters, you can ceate a fun garment with just garter stitch or plain stocking stitch, and, once hooked on knitting.......well...we all know what happens

Fran at

Morecambe Sands

Yes, I know what happens. You (I) manage to reach SABLE in a matter of months!!! (Stash Accumulated Beyond Life Expectancy)

Barbara

Go to Top of Page

CathyA
New Pal

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2003 :  05:45:38 AM  Show Profile Send CathyA a Private Message
I knitted several eyelash scarves in the early spring and really love the look. My friend Jean turned me on to them and explained that they're very popular in Rochester, NY because the Knit & Purl Yarn Shop was featured in Vogue making and selling them for Breast Cancer awareness. Last Friday night, I attended one of those home parties selling baskets and saw a woman wearing a lovely purple eyelash scarf. I complimented her and started chatting about how quickly they work up on big needles, how the eyelashes were intimidating at first, and what I used for my binder yarn. That's when she told me she doesn't knit. She's selling them for a friend for $100-150!!! Well, I happened to be wearing my purple eyelash scarf, too, and I'll admit that I suddenly felt great knowing that I'd paid under $20 for mine. Keep on knitting!!

Go to Top of Page

Parrot Girl
Permanent Resident

2129 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2003 :  08:37:00 AM  Show Profile Send Parrot Girl a Private Message
I confess to a fear of novelty yarns! I look at them at my LYS and fondle them but just go back to the regular stuff. My knitting friend is mad about novelty yarns, so there's plenty for both of us when we go shopping--she heads for the front room and I head for the back!

"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined." Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

jade
Permanent Resident

USA
1543 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2003 :  08:57:24 AM  Show Profile Send jade a Private Message
I started knitting this year after a longish break. I had burned out on all crafts because I was just overwhelmed with trying to do everything at once. The novelties caught my eye, as well as the gorgeous handpaints and other newish textures and mixes. So I have lots of pretty fibers to play with.

But I find myself going back to the classic wools and designs I've loved my whole life. I'm knitting a gansey right now and it's flying through my fingers. I have almost finished a cotton chenille hoodie in a beautiful burnt orange which I will enjoy wearing when I finally finish it. I just have to sew up the seams, pick up stitches and complete the hood but I really dislike the yarn so I'm dragging my feet.

It's great that new knitters are drawn to the craft by all the glitzy new stuff available. I hope they stay long enough to learn how much more there is than garter stitch and eyelash.

Cheryl

Go to Top of Page

Geniap
New Pal

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2003 :  1:49:47 PM  Show Profile Send Geniap a Private Message
I kinda like the novelty yarn kick that's going on but also believe that they are here to stay. I really love finding new ways to incorporate them into my knitted pieces like felted bags or collars and cuffs of sweaters. But especially I love how a quick knitted scarf gives a gift a bit dazzle.

clickin' on the Severn watching the Blue Heron
Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4390 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2003 :  2:50:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message
I like novelty yarns, too -- but back in my earlier knitting phase I would never have used them. I make a quick scarf here and there, combining a couple of yarns, and they satisfy my knitting jones when I'm in the middle of a longer or more complicated project. They are a great way to play with color, too.

Jane
Go to Top of Page

CATE
Gabber Extraordinaire

416 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2003 :  10:33:51 AM  Show Profile Send CATE a Private Message
Hello there!
I recently walked into a yarn shop, never have knitted before in my life but went there hoping to learn. I learned some basics and then used some eyelash yarn for my first scarf. I loved it. I was warned that the eyelash yarn wouldn't be easy for a beginner to work with, but I didn't find it difficult. It made my first project a lot of fun. But now, 3 scarves later, I'm ready for more "serious" knitting with some traditional type yarns. I think the novelty yarns will be staying. Even if just for the cuffs or trims on sweaters :o)

Tangled Up
Go to Top of Page

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2003 :  2:51:33 PM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
OK, when you say 'trim', how does that work? Do you switch to the novelty yarn in the appropriate row, or do you sew it on afterwards? I'm trying to picture how this is done, but I've got a black screen in my head.

Barbara

Go to Top of Page

thevalkyry
Sustaining Member

USA
736 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2003 :  3:35:01 PM  Show Profile Send thevalkyry a Private Message
Barbara - you could switch yarns and knit with a fur, for example, if you wanted a more substantial trim. Or if you just wanted a hint - crochet an edge :)

Food, Gas, Rent.. and Yarn
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.91 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.