Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Great last-minute gifts for knitters
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Crochet Talk
 Crochet books, Web sites, magazines & resources
 Knitting Daily Hostility
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

booglass
Permanent Resident

Costa Rica
1987 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2007 :  3:20:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit booglass's Homepage Send booglass a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by virtualpurl

Lanea is right. It's not whether people like or dislike crochet, it's the anger, even rage, with which they discuss what seems like a pretty innocuous issue. Rage is all over the web. I don't understand its prevalence, but it seems important.

RAGE!!??!?! Rage you say, well clearly by your comment you are itching for a full on flame war. It is so on sister!

bonnie

Check out my blog:
Tropical Knits
http://www.booglass.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page

knitree
Seriously Hooked

688 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2007 :  10:20:19 PM  Show Profile Send knitree a Private Message
I never read the KD comments. I'd rather be here, to be honest, or playing w/my new friend Ravelry. KD is interesting for the Galley pics (isn't that what all the gals trying on the knitwear is called?). If it's an ad for a new book or mag, or about a subject I'm not interested in, I close it and move on. Rudeness is not necessary, IMHO.

Tree
Taking simple patterns and complicating them...
Go to Top of Page

Lanea
Permanent Resident

USA
5194 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2007 :  05:40:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lanea's Homepage Send Lanea a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by booglass

quote:
Originally posted by virtualpurl

Lanea is right. It's not whether people like or dislike crochet, it's the anger, even rage, with which they discuss what seems like a pretty innocuous issue. Rage is all over the web. I don't understand its prevalence, but it seems important.

RAGE!!??!?! Rage you say, well clearly by your comment you are itching for a full on flame war. It is so on sister!

bonnie

Check out my blog:
Tropical Knits
http://www.booglass.typepad.com

How dare you try to pick a fake fight with someone who referred to me!? I will destroy you! I will assign motives to you you never had, and insult your family and pets, and accuse you of being rude. And then I will type in all caps and use expressions that are just this side of profanity, but keep myself from being booted off KR by stopping just short of calling you names. Then I will stir the pot by throwing a bunch of hypothetical targets and strawmen into the argument. Muuuharhar.

See proof of insanity: http://crazylanea.typepad.com/
Join the KR Webring: http://crazylanea.typepad.com/fiberarts/2006/07/the_knitters_re.html
Go to Top of Page

fiberlicious
Permanent Resident

1637 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2007 :  11:40:47 AM  Show Profile Send fiberlicious a Private Message
Watch out for Lanea - her sharp pointy sticks are from the Iron Age!
Go to Top of Page

Katheroni
Permanent Resident

USA
1407 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2007 :  11:57:30 AM  Show Profile Send Katheroni a Private Message
Right on. Can I sell tickets to the Bonnie-Lanea boxing match?
Go to Top of Page

Lanea
Permanent Resident

USA
5194 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2007 :  12:35:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lanea's Homepage Send Lanea a Private Message
Oh, it would have to be either mud wrestling or knitting-needle fencing, right?

Join the KR Webring: http://crazylanea.typepad.com/fiberarts/2006/07/the_knitters_re.html
Go to Top of Page

Katheroni
Permanent Resident

USA
1407 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2007 :  2:11:38 PM  Show Profile Send Katheroni a Private Message
I think that might sell more tickets. Shall we donate the proceeds to the Society for the Rehabilitation of Knitters Who Hate Crocheters? Or the Association of Knitters Who Still Hate Crocheters? Or the Bureau of Folks Who Love to Start Fights?
Go to Top of Page

dschmidt
Permanent Resident

4014 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2007 :  2:46:47 PM  Show Profile Send dschmidt a Private Message
The cabana boys are very excited about the upcoming match! They're making banners and signs, etc. They are also doing their version of Project Runaway and are designing costumes for Lanea and Bonnie. The competition is not a pretty sight. The cabana boy battle over the sequins and baubles in the fabric shop almost had to be settled by the police.

Donna in VA
Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9714 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2007 :  4:30:21 PM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message
the bauble police? [:00]

Man did I bobble that one!

Lella
My Blog

Go to Top of Page

lella
Permanent Resident

9714 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2007 :  4:40:10 PM  Show Profile Send lella a Private Message
It's the yarn companies. They know that crochet takes twice as much yarn. They want us to drop our knitting needles and rush out to learn to make the truly beautiful crochet that is thrust upon us in knitting magazines. That's really the genesis.

Lella
My Blog

Go to Top of Page

llinn
honorary angel

USA
1650 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2007 :  11:33:50 PM  Show Profile Send llinn a Private Message
Oh it absolutely is the yarn companies. Not only does crochet take vastly more yardage than knitting, it requires a different repetoire (sic)of yarns and colors to show properly.

This means that you have to expand your stash.

That's right.

Learning to crochet means you have a legitimate NEED to buy more yarn in weights and colors you have never tried before--not to mention all kinds of crochet hooks in different styles and MORE BOOKS to expand your library.

We all see where this is going, now, don't we.

Llinn
Go to Top of Page

Lanea
Permanent Resident

USA
5194 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2007 :  05:22:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lanea's Homepage Send Lanea a Private Message
I don't know if Bonnie crochets. I'm crochet impaired, so I couldn't represent that side very effectively. But if this grudge match is coming from web rage, it can't really be knit v. crochet. It has to be over something really really dumb. I mean, there are rational reasons to use knitting or crochet for one thing or another. Web rage is completely irrational. Think wombats vs. platypi (firefox doesn't know how to spell platypi, or firefox).

Go to Top of Page

minh
Permanent Resident and Destasher Extraordinnaire

USA
3469 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2007 :  10:53:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit minh's Homepage Send minh a Private Message
If you guys want me to, I'll starting taking bets on the Bonnie-Lanea match. The only problem is that the format of the fight has to be determined before I can give out odds...

Did someone book a place in Las Vegas yet??

http://minkyknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Katheroni
Permanent Resident

USA
1407 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2007 :  12:21:24 PM  Show Profile Send Katheroni a Private Message
Hey, on a more serious note (okay, everyone, sit up straight and stop giggling!), I haven't crocheted too much in the past few years. But has everyone LOOKED at the new Interweave Crochet? I am getting sucked back in!! I already crocheted a scarf last week from an earlier issue! It was so quick! So lovely! Aaaand...used so much yarn!! Llinn, I think you're right...

You may now return to your normal giggling programming.
Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4406 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2007 :  12:48:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message
Oooh I know how I can start the fight!

(Throat-clearing, standing up straight, getting out her administrative gavel.)

Bonnie, this is your first warning. If you do whatever it is that I've decided you've just done ONE MORE TIME you'll be banned from this place forever. Um, for picking a fight. That's it. Because you started it.

Meanwhile Lanea, the blameless and sweet and innocent Lanea, have I mentioned how wonderful you are? And this has NOTHING to do with the fact that you've just declared yourself crochet-impaired, it has nothing to do with taking sides, which of course I'd never do.

There, is that enough justification for the mudslinging boxing match to begin? Only instead of Vegas, could we have it somewhere closer to me but yet still warm and tropical, like, say, Bermuda?

Here's how it works: Bonnie, now it's your turn to tap your baton on the music stand, clear your throat, and deliver a most moving "That's it, I'm leaving!" aria. That's the cue for the chorus to join in with a rousing round of, "No no no, please donnnnnn't!" at which point a second chorus enters and chants, "She didn't start it, she didn't staaaaaart it," to which the first chorus replies in a peppery staccato, "Oh yes she did, oh yes she did!"

And then Celine Dion descends from the sky and starts us all on a final, teary round of "We Are The World."

It's beautiful. Even Leonard Maltin gave it two thumbs up.

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
Go to Top of Page

Lanea
Permanent Resident

USA
5194 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2007 :  12:59:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lanea's Homepage Send Lanea a Private Message
Holy crap. I haven't been called blameless, sweet, or innocent in YEARS. How much of a donation to KR did I make on Thanksgiving? Have I lost claim to my old high school nickname so soon?

We're gonna fight all right. And, for the fellahs, let's make it a floaty-pajama wearing, hair pulling, accidental giggling, cheesecake fight. It will certainly increase revenue.

Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4406 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2007 :  1:04:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message
I don't know, but ever since I had some of that fabulous chocolate cake you served us at the retreat, I've been convinced you were blameless, sweet, and innocent. And I loved how you brought your own special jar of imported powdered sugar just for my piece! A little bitter, but good...

Clara
Go to Top of Page

dschmidt
Permanent Resident

4014 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2007 :  1:38:36 PM  Show Profile Send dschmidt a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by lella

the bauble police? [:00]

Man did I bobble that one!

Lella
My Blog

[:00][:00][:00]

Donna in VA
Go to Top of Page

dschmidt
Permanent Resident

4014 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2007 :  1:42:29 PM  Show Profile Send dschmidt a Private Message
Wow, an officially sanctioned fight! The cabana boys are going nuts. I hope Clara realizes what she's revved up. She didn't like their antics and graffiti last time.

Donna in VA
Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4406 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2007 :  1:53:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message
I'm too busy making sandwiches to notice what those cabana boys are doing!

Clara
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.98 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by