Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Elann Pig Out
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Milinda
Permanent Resident

USA
3817 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2003 :  12:49:38 PM  Show Profile Send Milinda a Private Message
Okay, who do I hand my halo over to?! As one of the charter members of The No New Yarn For A Month Club, I just pigged out at Elann after all these months. I decided to reward myself because I met all my deadlines for my Day Job. Also, I will confess, I have never shopped at Elann, I must be one of the only Hardcore ones of you who hasn't. So, rejoice one and all, I pigged out big time and what guilt-free fun it was, at that. Can't wait till it all gets here . . .

M L

hobbitknitter
Permanent Resident

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2003 :  12:54:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit hobbitknitter's Homepage Send hobbitknitter a Private Message
Congrats! I love Elann!
I'm waiting for my 5 skeins of sock yarns, and my Addi Natura Bamboo needles- and I'm knitting a TON. My goal for today is to finish my mom's 1st sock, and knit 15" of my g-ma's scarf. I need to get my g-ma's scarf and my best friend's scarf done SOON- I REALLY want to finish them both this week, so I can concentrate on my parent's sox, my younger brothers' slipper sox, and my sox- that's 5 pairs!!!! Then, I need to figure out something to make for my g-pa and my oldest bro........
Sarah

S. Eliz.
Keep on knitting on!
See my gallery: www.pagebypage.com/board/index.php(In photo gallery pages, under S for Sarah Elizabeth)
Go to Top of Page

vicky by the bay
Permanent Resident

USA
4768 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2003 :  1:29:45 PM  Show Profile Send vicky by the bay a Private Message
Congrats Melinda...I think??? What wonderful yarn did you order?

Vicky (Queen O'Yarn archivist-QYA)
Go to Top of Page

myshelle10
Permanent Resident

USA
2749 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2003 :  1:39:44 PM  Show Profile Send myshelle10 a Private Message
Do share :) Knowing what great yarn someone else ordered somehow always encourages me to order some myself... (hmm... on the other hand... LOL) :)

Great way to break the yarn fast, eh?

myshelle

Go to Top of Page

Milinda
Permanent Resident

USA
3817 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2003 :  6:31:17 PM  Show Profile Send Milinda a Private Message
Sorry, but I can't tell all that I ordered except for what I got for myself because the lion's share of the order is designated for other knitting friends or for Christmas projects. I don't want to spoil the surprises. I thought it would be fun to get knitting friends enough yarn to make up whatever they wanted as a project(s).

However, for my stash, I ordered just about all the rest of the Zara in Navy blue for leg warmers, scarves, hats, mittens or Guy Things as they can be challenged when it comes to branching out into color and there is always a need for Navy blue in a stash.

With a coat in mind, I purchased 30 skeins of Cream in Pinguoin's Soft Hair, that would be a nice wool, mohair and acrylic blend I've used before. At that price which I couldn't pass up, I can do a really detailed pattern stitch and not worry about eating up all the yarn and running out. Very satisfying and now that most of my Christmas shopping is complete, I am free to enjoy my part of the order.

Thanks for letting me share!

M L
Go to Top of Page

draymer
Permanent Resident

USA
1490 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2003 :  6:48:30 PM  Show Profile Send draymer a Private Message
The only thing I find appalling is the fact that you have never shopped at Elann before.

Although I am a certified failure at the NMYFOM Club, and as recently as last week I got a big order of Classic Elite Imagine, I still think the realization I needed to do something about my yarn buying did have an effect. (Oh, but I got the pink and red, plus some solid pink and red, and my DD said that was her favorite color (pink and red), I can't wait to surprise her with something!)

At least since I took up knitting again, I pig out at Elann, Knit Piks and Joann (those darn Otts!) instead of the ice cream shop (it is too darn cold, anyway!)
Debra

Go to Top of Page

myshelle10
Permanent Resident

USA
2749 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2003 :  8:05:29 PM  Show Profile Send myshelle10 a Private Message
Debra-- Too true :)

Like I always say-- everybody needs a vice. There are many that are worse than yarn! :)

myshelle

Go to Top of Page

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2003 :  8:35:37 PM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
quote:

Congrats! I love Elann!
I'm waiting for my 5 skeins of sock yarns, and my Addi Natura Bamboo needles- and I'm knitting a TON. My goal for today is to finish my mom's 1st sock, and knit 15" of my g-ma's scarf. I need to get my g-ma's scarf and my best friend's scarf done SOON- I REALLY want to finish them both this week, so I can concentrate on my parent's sox, my younger brothers' slipper sox, and my sox- that's 5 pairs!!!! Then, I need to figure out something to make for my g-pa and my oldest bro........
Sarah

I like elann's yarns, I like their prices, I like the speed of their delivery. I don't like:

Their delivery charge
The fact that they quote CDN shipping cost in US dollars
The fact that they ignore e-mail commenting on #2

Barbara

"I know we've got one SOMEWHERE"
Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2003 :  3:34:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message
I saw Pinguoin's Soft Hair on Elann and thought about ordering it but I have never seen it in person. Is it very soft? Is it flat like wool or hairy like mohair? What are the good colors?

Go to Top of Page

vicky by the bay
Permanent Resident

USA
4768 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2003 :  4:01:33 PM  Show Profile Send vicky by the bay a Private Message
Soft somewhat fuzzy but not hairy like mohair. Reminds me of angora a bit. I have white, light pink, and baby blue. Very pretty colors. Melinda can probably describe it better than I can since I did order it and have received it, but haven't used it yet. Melinda has used this yarn before.

Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2003 :  4:53:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message
Thanks, Vicky. I noticed that Elann also had angora. You warned me about Elann and possible addiction. You were right and now I check every morning to see what's new. I have withdrawal over the weekend when they have no new listings and I have already memorized the availability list. Fortunately not everything they offer appeals to me but I did a little damage on eBay over the weekend.

Go to Top of Page

Milinda
Permanent Resident

USA
3817 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2003 :  6:40:53 PM  Show Profile Send Milinda a Private Message
Vicky is right, Soft Hair is a great deal like angora and at the price they have it on Elann, well, what can I say? GO FOR IT!!!! You can scarcely get regular acrylic for just over two dollars.

I find this to be a decadent yarn with substance and while it has a nice halo to it when knitted up, it isn't the same type as mohair. I like the stitch definition since I am such a Texture Fiend and love all that kind of work. Great hand to it, the knitted fabric is substantial, not airy the way most mohairs can be so it does well in coats, jackets and heavier sweaters but it won't drive you nuts against your neck.

What are you going to make with all yours, Vicky? I really liked the Shell Pink but I want to make a coat and I just don't think I would want a pink coat so I went with the cream. Black would work well, too. I practiced restraint and left some for the rest of you all, LOL.

M L
Go to Top of Page

vicky by the bay
Permanent Resident

USA
4768 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2003 :  8:27:34 PM  Show Profile Send vicky by the bay a Private Message
Melinda, I think I'm going to make a little short sleeved sweater. I also bought some black that I forgot about. Would like a short knitted dress out of it I think???? I'm not sure yet...we'll see. I just loved the yarn and ordered alot. I forgot too that I made my Mom a headband to keep her ears warm on her morning walks in N.Dak. She likes it very much!!! I actually doubled the yarn...one pink and one gray...looked really cute. Nice and thick. Very warm! I also enjoyed working w/ the yarn. I can't believe I forgot about that project. I guess because I finished it so quickly I lost that memory!

Go to Top of Page

myshelle10
Permanent Resident

USA
2749 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2003 :  9:21:59 PM  Show Profile Send myshelle10 a Private Message
Oooh-- short knitted dress, in black, angora=like, would be very chic, Vicky :)

myshelle

Go to Top of Page

Milinda
Permanent Resident

USA
3817 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2003 :  07:32:23 AM  Show Profile Send Milinda a Private Message
quote:

Would like a short knitted dress out of it I think???? Vicky (Queen O'Yarn archivist-QYA)

Vicky, a black knit dress would be divine, especially with your blonde hair. One good thing about this yarn I found to be true, unlike a higher per centage of mohair, you won't have that annoying wear and tear on the behind when you sit. This yarn is substantial enough to avoid that. I made a black mohair dress and discovered quickly that it was a Standing Room Only affair. Of course, that could be a problem of mine since my behind is alarmingly like JLo's, and tends to imprint that way on knitted fabric. I think you would be pleased with your dress!

M L
Go to Top of Page

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2003 :  2:38:08 PM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
OK, I went and checked. I'm in luck. I don't like any of the colours!!

Barbara

Go to Top of Page

tashabear
Warming Up

USA
66 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2003 :  12:43:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit tashabear's Homepage Send tashabear a Private Message
I got the Soft Hair in Ice Blue for a scarf for my cousin's wife, and I love it. It's terribly soft, and not nearly as bad to rip out as I'd feared (ripping out the cast-on is dern near impossible, but I can sacrifice that without worry if I get the rest of the yarn). I'm just doing a simple k2, yo pattern, but it looks fabulous. It sheds a bit, but I can live with it. It's really a pleasure to knit with it.

Tasha

Go to Top of Page

vicky by the bay
Permanent Resident

USA
4768 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2003 :  12:53:04 AM  Show Profile Send vicky by the bay a Private Message
I too have the JLo's bottom ML! I think it's feminine...who wants a flat bottom??? I need to find a pattern that has give in that area!!! Any pattern ideas out there? I want a cap sleeve or no sleeved little shift type of dress. Could have just a bit of flair in the skirt, but mostly A-Line I think. I'll keep looking...Hey Dee...woman who is expert at finding difficult items...help me find a pattern for this dress please!!!

[/quote]

Of course, that could be a problem of mine since my behind is alarmingly like JLo's, and tends to imprint that way on knitted fabric. I think you would be pleased with your dress!

M L
[/quote]

Go to Top of Page

myshelle10
Permanent Resident

USA
2749 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2003 :  01:05:56 AM  Show Profile Send myshelle10 a Private Message
Vicky-- definitely a female characteristic :) An A-line would probably give you a flattering silhouette:)

But as to where to find one?? hmm... dunno.... hopefully someone else can help you. (I just have this fear of knitted things on my lower half-- just think it would be *not* flattering on-- so I think when I see those patterns my brain goes into denial mode!) LOL

myshelle

Go to Top of Page

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2003 :  11:39:31 AM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
quote:

I too have the JLo's bottom ML! I think it's feminine...who wants a flat bottom??? I need to find a pattern that has give in that area!!! Any pattern ideas out there? I want a cap sleeve or no sleeved little shift type of dress. Could have just a bit of flair in the skirt, but mostly A-Line I think. I'll keep looking...Hey Dee...woman who is expert at finding difficult items...help me find a pattern for this dress please!!!

Of course, that could be a problem of mine since my behind is alarmingly like JLo's, and tends to imprint that way on knitted fabric. I think you would be pleased with your dress!

M L
[/quote]

[/quote]

Doesn't Sally have a couple of gorgeous dresses in the Purl Stitch. I know she commented on the 'problem' (if one considers being shaped like a woman a problem. When did we start thinking we were all supposed to look like prepubescent boys?).

Barbara

Go to Top of Page

Milinda
Permanent Resident

USA
3817 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2003 :  1:09:44 PM  Show Profile Send Milinda a Private Message
quote:

I know she commented on the 'problem' (if one considers being shaped like a woman a problem. When did we start thinking we were all supposed to look like prepubescent boys?).

Barbara, I'm thinking you are too young to have been a teenager when Twiggy became the ideal. I believe for my age group, that ushered in a sharp change of attitude about that'problem'. For all Ms. Jennifer Lopez is or isn't, she has certainly done absolute wonders for turning things around and I am quite grateful to her. Seriously,
I believe thinking positively of however we are shaped is the ideal and what we should strive for.

All I meant to say is no matter what type of build one has, high per centages of mohair are very easily indented with the shape of the human form, front and back. That limits the sizing of the dress in an unflattering way. If this has happened to any of you as it has to me more times than I care to admit in public, don't despair! Just get bold, take hold of a pair of scissors and cut the dress off where it is not stretched. Frog the rest and knit a border.

M L
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.