Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Can felt be fixed?
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 spacing out...
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lectrice

USA
Posted - 10/28/2003 :  9:51:43 PM  Show Profile Send lectrice a Private Message
I guess this could be a technique question, but not *really*, so I'm putting it here...

When I'm knitting, I get into an almost meditative zone. This is great if I'm doing garter stitch. Stitch, stitch, stitch... This is much less great if I'm doing anything else. I get confused -- did I just knit or purl? And I have a hard time figuring it out by looking -- I can of course tell the stitches apart when they're in fabric, but when they're hanging on my needle I have no idea really. And then sometimes I don't even catch myself spacing out -- just get to the end of the row and I'm ending on a stitch I shouldn't be, or I have an extra stitch sitting there when I need to do two of something to keep the pattern, so obviously I double-knitted or double-purled or something way back somewhere and never noticed.

Stitch markers could help to an extent -- but if I'm doing something like 2x2 rib or seed stitch or something, having a marker every couple of stitches doesn't help too much. It's still a case of, "What did I just do? I've come to a marker, but what do I do after it?"

Does anyone else ever have this problem and do you have any tips or tricks in overcoming it? I'd rather not have everything be garter stitch! :-)

Thanks!

Janet

myshelle10
Permanent Resident

USA
2749 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2003 :  10:13:13 PM  Show Profile Send myshelle10 a Private Message
For me, it helps to stop periodically and "read" the knitting-- i.e. on straight needles, I knit the "v's" and purl the "bumps". Also, I just develop a mantra after a while-- knit 2, purl 2-- over and over.

Plus-- sometimes if I concentrate for the first several rows, my hands "learn" what I'm doing and it gets easier (I'm working on a sweater riht now that is knit 4 purl 2 rib-- and I like to "check out" when knitting myself!) :)

myshelle

Go to Top of Page

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2003 :  11:58:07 PM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
quote:

I guess this could be a technique question, but not *really*, so I'm putting it here...

When I'm knitting, I get into an almost meditative zone. This is great if I'm doing garter stitch. Stitch, stitch, stitch... This is much less great if I'm doing anything else. I get confused -- did I just knit or purl? And I have a hard time figuring it out by looking -- I can of course tell the stitches apart when they're in fabric, but when they're hanging on my needle I have no idea really. And then sometimes I don't even catch myself spacing out -- just get to the end of the row and I'm ending on a stitch I shouldn't be, or I have an extra stitch sitting there when I need to do two of something to keep the pattern, so obviously I double-knitted or double-purled or something way back somewhere and never noticed.

Janet

I can't help with the extra stitch at the end thing, but you should be able to tell knits from purls apart on your needle as easily as in the fabrid. You're looking for the same clues. The knit will be open, so it will be a v, and the purl will be closed with bar just under your needle for the bar.

Barbara

"I know we've got one SOMEWHERE"
Go to Top of Page

purlgrrl
Chatty Knitter

230 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2003 :  12:30:04 AM  Show Profile Send purlgrrl a Private Message
I've caught myself spacing out...and I've got the frogging degree from Knit U to prove it!

Go to Top of Page

vicky by the bay
Permanent Resident

USA
4768 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2003 :  12:44:17 AM  Show Profile Send vicky by the bay a Private Message
I love that about knitting. The meditative rhythm I get w/ knitting. The "space out is my goal. It truly helps me relax after a very stressful day like yesterday and today!!!! I knit during my lunch hour so when I go back for the sfternoon I'm most likely in a much better space than when I left!!!! Now has this space out caused me to frog?....YES!!! Is it worth it?....YES!!!

Vicky (Queen O'Yarn archivist-QYA)
Go to Top of Page

myshelle10
Permanent Resident

USA
2749 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2003 :  01:03:54 AM  Show Profile Send myshelle10 a Private Message
I did that today during a loooooooooooooooooong training session. I brought my husband's sweater (that I stalled on sometime last fall and never really got back to). Suddenly I got a whole 5 inches of the front done today! (16 down, and 8 to go-- then I get to do sleeves-- smaller things seem to move faster-- maybe my first sweater *shouldn't* have been for the 6 foot tall husband!) LOL :)

But getting into the "knitting zone" helped me listen to what was going on, and still survive the annoyance of sitting still & being lectured at for 8 hours!!

myshelle

Go to Top of Page

jade
Permanent Resident

USA
1543 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2003 :  06:36:18 AM  Show Profile Send jade a Private Message
That meditative "knitting zone" is part of what makes knitting so relaxing for me. And I have fallen into the same trap, knitting blithely through stitch and shaping changes. My current WIP is a gansey which has a whole raft of textural stitches on the yoke. I've gotten to be an expert at undoing stitches and redoing them correctly with a crochet hook. Oh well.

Cheryl

Go to Top of Page

Lelani
Permanent Resident

USA
2005 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2003 :  07:02:29 AM  Show Profile Send Lelani a Private Message
I love the meditative rhytum of knitting. I really can get into a zone. I find that I am also rocking myself or my foot as Im knitting. It settles me right down. Sometimes I do find Ive gotten way off. My instructor at my knitting classes teaches us to read our knitting. It is the only way Ive learned to keep on track and get back on track. As others have said here, knowing that the v's are knit stitches and the bumps are purl stitches helps when you need to look back at where you are in a pattern. Also I had to learn how to count the rows I have already knitted . That really helped, especially when knitting in a pattern. One more thing, I also learned how to take out the stitches i may have just knitted to get back into my pattern. Say if I knitted too many stitches instead of purled and the pattern got off. I take my left hand need and insert it into the loop right in front of the first stitch on the right hand needle , pull that stitch up over the right hand needle then tug on the thread. It comes apart as if you had not knitted that stitch at all. If it is a purl stitch thats first on the right hand needle you insert the tip of the left hand needle in the front loop of the stitch purlwise. I probably didnt explain that real well but maybe someone else here can put it simpler. I think one of the most important things Ive learned yet is how to read my knitting!! and Im still learning to do that!!

Lelani
Go to Top of Page

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2003 :  12:34:50 PM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
quote:
One more thing, I also learned how to take out the stitches i may have just knitted to get back into my pattern. Say if I knitted too many stitches instead of purled and the pattern got off. I take my left hand need and insert it into the loop right in front of the first stitch on the right hand needle , pull that stitch up over the right hand needle then tug on the thread. It comes apart as if you had not knitted that stitch at all. If it is a purl stitch thats first on the right hand needle you insert the tip of the left hand needle in the front loop of the stitch purlwise. I probably didnt explain that real well but maybe someone else here can put it simpler. I think one of the most important things Ive learned yet is how to read my knitting!! and Im still learning to do that!!

Lelani

Yes, I used to call it knitting backwards, but now I know people who actually do knit backwards, it's no longer appropriate. How about un-knitting. Slower than frogging, but much better control.

As for the 'zone', I agree that getting there is one of the benefits of knitting. It would, however, be nice if we could control it. Zone out when we're doing somthing really simple, stay alert when we need to concentrate!!

Barbara

"I know we've got one SOMEWHERE"
Go to Top of Page

Pinky Yarn
Permanent Resident

USA
1045 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2003 :  3:28:35 PM  Show Profile Send Pinky Yarn a Private Message
I do this if im not doing anything else (always trying to multi-task..) aaah, wonderful, then again i dont really knit anything complicated.. but i have knit right throw the shaping on a baby bootie, it was oh may 5 inches long before i remembered... Lelani, tinking? not frogging, tinking, its knit backward, i think i picked that up on this forum, might of been oanother, lol. taking knitting apart or fixing it one stitch at a time.

-God bless, take care, and dont eat soap!
Go to Top of Page

lectrice

USA
Posted - 10/29/2003 :  5:54:04 PM  Show Profile Send lectrice a Private Message

quote:

I can't help with the extra stitch at the end thing, but you should be able to tell knits from purls apart on your needle as easily as in the fabrid. You're looking for the same clues. The knit will be open, so it will be a v, and the purl will be closed with bar just under your needle for the bar.

Are you looking at this with the needle pointing to the side, and the fabric facing you, or with the needle and and the fabric pointing away, like you're looking down the barrel?

I know, I need things spelled out verrrrrrrry clearly. I'm not naturally "handy" or "crafty"!

Janet

Go to Top of Page

warble
New Pal

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2003 :  6:13:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit warble's Homepage Send warble a Private Message
I love knitting backwards. The lady who first taught me that is a genius, as far as I am concerned. When I started knitting, I was scared to death of frogging, since I had a hard time picking stiches up afterwards, so I'd knit back instead. Now I'll rip back with abandon when necessary, but usually I just take a moment at the end of each row to check what I'm doing and knit back to any mistakes, if necessary. Easy and saves time, and helps for those times when I do space out. : )

Go to Top of Page

addicted2yarn
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
376 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2003 :  6:21:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit addicted2yarn's Homepage Send addicted2yarn a Private Message
Janet, You need to look at the fabric with the needle pointing to the side to tell if you have knit or purled a stitch. Don't feel bad if you still can't tell what you've done - I would say it took me a good six months or so of knitting before I could "tell" what I had done by looking at the fabric. Also, what type of yarn are you using? It is easier if you are using a smooth yarn that it lighter in color. Good luck, I'm sure things will get easier as you go.

-Ellen
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.64 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?