Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Always know how much yarn you need
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Reader's Corner
 Talk about books reviewed in Knitter's Review
 Stitch n' beach
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

maleajoy@hotmail.com

Posted - 10/30/2003 :  11:08:41 AM  Show Profile Send maleajoy@hotmail.com a Private Message
As a (relatively) new knitter and a Bust subscriber, I snatched up this book as soon as I saw it. I love the tone of her book, and agree with her on many counts. I too thought about the continuity I had with generations women before me (and men, too, which she addresses eloquently) as I learned to manipulate my needles, and it still bothers me when friends tease me about my hobby, suggesting that it's something for stodgy for old ladies and odd for a young professional woman, when it's obviously meditative, creative, tactile, and stimulating for a girl who works on a computer all day to make something real. The instrutions are funny and playful, and I've learned lots of tips and tricks that I've missed out on by being a mostly self-taught knitter. And, the patterns are supercute! I've already made the rolled brim hat (sans paillettes, but cute nonetheless.) There are patterns at lots of different skill levels, and the easier designs are fun to play with.

I'm happy to have this book in my collection to turn to when a needs some advice, delivered with a little more humor than my "vogue knitting" will ever be able to muster.

flirwin@shaw.ca

Posted - 10/30/2003 :  11:27:25 AM  Show Profile Send flirwin@shaw.ca a Private Message
Thanks for the review - I too was turned off by the 'hip' appearance of this book when I first saw it (even though some of the patterns were really cute) but now I've read your review I'll go back and look at it again! I just love the voice many women are giving to knitting - I've just finish reading Sally Melville's Knitting Experience: Knit Stitch and anxiously awaiting the arrival of book #2, Purl Stitch. My husband caught me reading a novel the other day and wondered what was wrong with me, I was reading something not about knitting! Thanks again and keep on knitting!
Go to Top of Page

Trina
Permanent Resident

USA
1871 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2003 :  11:50:57 AM  Show Profile Send Trina a Private Message
Got my copy a few days ago & have only had time to flip through it, but I already like what I've seen. I too, was turned off at first by this book, but I'm really glad I've added to my knitting library.

Hold fast to dreams
For if dreams die
Life is a broken-winged bird that cannot fly.
-Langston Hughes
Go to Top of Page

Jane
SustaYning Member

USA
4390 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2003 :  3:40:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jane's Homepage Send Jane a Private Message
The only thing I don't like about the book is its design. I wish the layout weren't so busy. But Clara's review says it all -- there's a lot between the covers, starting with good patterns and good writing.

Jane
Go to Top of Page

marfa
Permanent Resident

USA
2046 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2003 :  3:54:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit marfa's Homepage Send marfa a Private Message
How do.
Clara, thanks for such a precise review. Your reviews are, for me & the rest of us IMHO, on the mark w/the sense of your fairness & objectivity.
You brought out the many factors of this book which I was able to recently peruse.
The title 1st caught my eye as that is what one of my two knitting groups is called - yep, us & a bunch of other knitting groups .
How terrific that Annie M. is mentioned - I am looking forward to seeing her at the Retreat.
This book may go on my holiday request list after reading your review.
Martha

Go to Top of Page

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2003 :  5:07:54 PM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
I'm lucky in that the book is available in my public library system, so I can inspect it at my leisure, before deciding whether to spend money on it or not.

I've managed to vette most of my knitting books this way. I've saved myself a ton of money on things I wasn't crazy about, spent a ton on things I was totally impressed by that I'd never have dreamed I'd want to buy - The Knit Stitch being a prime example.

Unfortunately, Folk Bags isn't in the catalogue!!

Barbara

"I know we've got one SOMEWHERE"
Go to Top of Page

lemons
Permanent Resident

1692 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2003 :  7:04:33 PM  Show Profile Send lemons a Private Message
Last night I was at the every-Wednesday-St. Louis-knitters group, and I went over to look at this book en route out of the B&N. Yuck, I thought, the layout is too confusing, and put it back on the shelf after a couple of minutes. This morning I was thinking about it again after reading some of the earlier entries on the book here on KR, and started to laugh!

That chaotic-seeming layout is something I just LOVE in cookbooks - something I love, read a great deal and own several of. When I see it in a CB, I immediately get a little excited, and think, oh, some of these little tidbits will be really good. (And indeed, they often are.) But in the knitting book-------oooh, nooo!

Obviously I need to give it a second look.

lemons

Go to Top of Page

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2003 :  9:16:57 PM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
quote:

As a (relatively) new knitter and a Bust subscriber, I snatched up this book as soon as I saw it.

What's Bust???

Barbara

"I know we've got one SOMEWHERE"
Go to Top of Page

stuessy1@mchsi.com
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2003 :  09:19:07 AM  Show Profile Send stuessy1@mchsi.com a Private Message
I too turned away from the book at first glance, but then I bought it. What a get book. I love the way the information is presented. I live in an area without yarn stores and a knitting community. It gave me lots of ideas for seeking out people who also knit.
Go to Top of Page

JulieRN
New Pal

5 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2003 :  09:55:13 AM  Show Profile Send JulieRN a Private Message
I was at my LYS squeezing the goods and I could hear the co-workers talking about the book they had just gotten in. They were flipping through it and laughing about the great phrases used in the book. Curious, I went to see what all the hysteria was about. "What a great book for my 18 year old new knitter daughter," I thought. She would be more likely to learn the basics from this book than from a more dry and technical book. I added the book to my ever growing pile of stuff in the basket and checked out. That night, I thought I would take a closer look before wrapping it up and sending it to her. Needless to say, she's gonna have to get her own copy because I am NOT giving this book up!! I love it!
Now I'm gonna have to check out this "The Knit Stitch" I'm hearing about....

Go to Top of Page

myshelle10
Permanent Resident

USA
2749 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2003 :  10:34:34 AM  Show Profile Send myshelle10 a Private Message
Started reading some of it yesterday-- very well done.

Bust is a feminist magazine. Great fun, the times I've picked up a copy. :)

myshelle (who misses living near cool independent bookstores that carry stuff like that!)

Go to Top of Page

clp01us
New Pal

7 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2003 :  11:11:55 AM  Show Profile Send clp01us a Private Message
I picked S&B over the weekend. The title grabbed me and I needed something to entertain me while hubbie was in the CD section. The first chapter captured me, humorous as well as touching. Directions are easy to follow even for a direction-phobic person like me. I like that she has some quick and simple projects that will fulfill the need for handmade gifts this year. It's like a magazine, I can flip through the book and read something that interests me, without feeling like I need to read from cover to cover. One of my better under $15 investments.

Carol

Go to Top of Page

VickiKK
Seriously Hooked

935 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2003 :  3:20:50 PM  Show Profile Send VickiKK a Private Message
I notice that from her website she is in Seattle signing books next week and then down to Portland Oregon next.
Vicki near Seattle
Go to Top of Page

knottyknitter
Permanent Resident

USA
3702 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2003 :  08:05:32 AM  Show Profile Send knottyknitter a Private Message
Vicky - for the life of me, I can't find anything anywhere on the Web about a signing in Seattle. I located the one at Powells in Portland, but none for Seattle. Can you share the url of the site you are speaking of? I've searched under her name, the book's name, etc. but can't find it. Thanks!

Kristi - north of Seattle

Go to Top of Page

knottyknitter
Permanent Resident

USA
3702 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2003 :  08:31:03 AM  Show Profile Send knottyknitter a Private Message
Vicki (Sorry about mispelling of your name earlier - I get that too - "y" instead of "i" at the end of mine!) Anyway, I found it at Hilltop Yarns. I just started looking at all of the LYS sites to see if one of them had it listed. Thanks for bringing this to my attention. Maybe I'll see you there!

Kristi

Go to Top of Page

Elizabeth
Permanent Resident

USA
1557 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2003 :  08:45:28 AM  Show Profile Send Elizabeth a Private Message
One of the best phrases in the book has got to be the "ribbed for her pleasure scarf." I HOWLED. My English husband needed it explained to him.

Go to Top of Page

VickiKK
Seriously Hooked

935 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2003 :  10:42:50 AM  Show Profile Send VickiKK a Private Message
Kristi
I glad that you found the place. I had forgotten where I had read it and was madly trying to backtrack. I'm sure it was on her website and then couldn't locate that.
Sorry to miss it, but it's on my knitting night at my LYS that I missed last week. Let me know if you go and all about it, Please??
Vicki near Seattle
Go to Top of Page

myshelle10
Permanent Resident

USA
2749 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2003 :  12:24:21 PM  Show Profile Send myshelle10 a Private Message
I just love almost *all* of the shaped sweaters... Pinup Queen, Tank Girl, and the Cowl part of the Cowl & Howl set... they look great. The kinds of things I would covet to purchase & would be great to make :)... hmmm

got other things on the drawing board at the moment though!

myshelle

Go to Top of Page

knottyknitter
Permanent Resident

USA
3702 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2003 :  1:38:26 PM  Show Profile Send knottyknitter a Private Message
Vicki - I'm definitely planning on going as I have some things to do down Seattle way tomorrow afternoon anyway. I always enjoy visiting shops in my old neighborhood too (lived on QA for 9 years, pre-husband) and was impressed by this shop the one time I've been there. I need to pick up some ADDIs for a project I'm working on as the bamboo needles are just too "sticky" for the yarn.

As a new knitter, when I saw this book last week at B&N, I snapped it right up as the patterns so intrigued me. I have to admit though that I am a 21 year old in a 41-year-old body so they may not appeal to everyone. I was especially drawn to the alian illusian scarf, the skully sweater and the cat bed. I'm thinking that I may buy a new copy of the book tomorrow and give one to a friend who is a subscriber to BUST, who has expressed a little interest in learning to knit. She is a 19-year-old in a 39-year-old body who would be intrigued by the same patterns!

I'll let you know how it goes. Have you attended any of Hilltop's previous events?

Kristi

Go to Top of Page

myshelle10
Permanent Resident

USA
2749 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2003 :  2:10:40 PM  Show Profile Send myshelle10 a Private Message
The cat bed is really cute :)

There's nothing about the more shaped patterns (at least in my opinion) that is limited to a certain age. They aren't too young, or even revealing... some of them are in smaller sizes than the others, but that can be easily adapted if you need smaller or larger sizes (like any other pattern, I suppose) :)

myshelle (attempting to enable) :)

Go to Top of Page

knottyknitter
Permanent Resident

USA
3702 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2003 :  2:31:26 PM  Show Profile Send knottyknitter a Private Message
Well, as far as "age" specific, I was referring more to the subject matter of the motif as opposed to the actual shape/size of the items - like the alian motif and the skull and crossbones motif. I think the average 41-year-old would consider those to be rather youthful. Of course none of us here are average!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?