Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 What Should I Make with It?
 50 to 100 Yards
 What to do with leftover yarn???
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

eclaire26

Posted - 11/14/2003 :  07:00:50 AM  Show Profile Send eclaire26 a Private Message
Another great use for leftover yarn, if you a have a girl to knit for, is Barbie doll clothes or American Girl doll clothes. My daughter and her dolls even have a couple of matching sweaters. You can also make stuffed animals out of leftover yarn, too. The 3D projects can be a nice break from knitting clothing.

Go to Top of Page

alnsigne@sonic.net

Posted - 11/14/2003 :  07:33:38 AM  Show Profile Send alnsigne@sonic.net a Private Message
I made the fingerless gloves from Weekend Knitting and now all my friends are asking for them. Also,a few new babies have come into my life this year so I've been making booties of all shapes and sizes. They knit up fast and keep the little toes warm this time of year. I like the roll top version in Erika Knight's Simple Knits for Cherished Babies.
Go to Top of Page

charlipup-fff@worldnet.att.net

Posted - 11/14/2003 :  08:14:05 AM  Show Profile Send charlipup-fff@worldnet.att.net a Private Message

I have found that doing a largish shale pattern afghan, either with the purl "wave" or without (which I really usually like better), is a dynamite way to use up "scraps". I try to match the colors to the personality of the intended recipient (if any). I keep a spare set of #11 needles for this ongoing project, and my most recent "success" was an afghan in crayon colors (bright red, orange, yellow, bright blue, green, with relief of cream Flureece.) The lady I made it for even took it with her when she had to go the hospital, for the comfort it gave her! For the really short pieces, you can do one or two rows of garter rather than a 4 stitch repeat of shale; if the yarn is too thin, add two or three together (preferably of the same or near color). The idea of using the ends as decoration (from further back in this thread) sounds like a heaven sent idea (I HATE, HATE, HATE weaving in "tails, just ask DH when I'm doing them, lol). I got the idea from the first one of these that I did from a Colinette afghan kit and the various bands can take anywhere from 75 to 150 yards each, depending on weight, or more if you like, but since this seemed to be the active thread, thought I'd post here. Hope this helps!
Fran in Michigan
Go to Top of Page

clannan@bellsouth.net

Posted - 11/14/2003 :  08:35:34 AM  Show Profile Send clannan@bellsouth.net a Private Message
I use scrap yarn to make tiny Christmas stockings. I use them on gifts, etc. If you knit socks, these are a breeze and can be done in one night. I usually cast on 24 sts, divide onto 4 needles. Sometimes I have a reverse stockinette cuff, sometimes I rib, depends on the mood. I knit until it's "long enough" then tackle the heel. Use twelve stitches and alternate knit purl rows for 6 rows. Then to turn the heel K7, SSK, turn, *P3, P2tog, turn, K3, SSK, turn*, repeat until there are 4 stitched. Knit across stitches pick up 4 to 6 (depends on yarn) stitches (gusset), knit across stitches on the other 2 needles, pick up the same number as you did on the other side. If you have more than 24 stitches work decreases in gusset until you have 24. Knit until toe is "long enough" then decrease for toe like you would any other sock. My last two rows are usually decreases so the toe is nice and rounded off. Use needle sizes appropriate for that particular yarn. I've also used a little larger needle when working with 100% wool and then felted them.
Or try mini-mittens (I use the felted mitten pattern from FiberTrends with a dk weight 100% wool on size 5 or 6).
Great Christmas tree decorations and always a hit!
Go to Top of Page

dougbernie@charter.net
New Pal

2 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2003 :  09:06:21 AM  Show Profile Send dougbernie@charter.net a Private Message
I love scraps. Just finished a 'from the top down " striped pullover for my 2 1/2 yr old grandaughter. The scraps make more daring color combinations than I would buy on purpose. They also make great mittens and socks for charity knitting. Most of my stash is wool or natural fibers so that's not much of a problem but when it comes to thickness, it's got to mean doubling up thin strands. This is also a good way to use up those small test skeins of handspun.
Go to Top of Page

purlewe
Permanent Resident

1932 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2003 :  10:01:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit purlewe's Homepage Send purlewe a Private Message
last nite at my knit in a woman beside me had a beautiful hat and a great idea for scraps. She took her yarn scraps and made it into a funky striped hat. with things that were too thin, like eyelash etc, she doubled up with another thin yarn and the whole thing was very dramatic and one of a kind. It made her have more exciting color schemes than she would have normally chosen, and she was so proud of it because it was her very first hat (and quite a stunner too!)

purlewe

because I have the kind of beauty that moves... Ani
Go to Top of Page

pinknewf
New Pal

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2003 :  11:18:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit pinknewf's Homepage  Send pinknewf a Yahoo! Message Send pinknewf a Private Message
Little mittens for gift tags, pins or Christmas tree ornaments.
I just posted a short pattern on the 100-250 yard thread.

Molly
Go to Top of Page

Tabbico
Seriously Hooked

USA
960 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2003 :  11:28:50 AM  Show Profile Send Tabbico a Private Message
I have used scraps to make afghans, but I got inspired by quilt designs and I try to copy those. One of my favorites, and one of the easiest to knit, it the log cabin design. I basically try to collect scraps in two colorways, say browns and greens. I begin with a center square, usually something like 8 stitches and 8 rows (St., garter stitch, whatever you like. The change color and knit 4 more rows and bind off. Turn the work 90 degrees, pick up stitches on the side, and knit 4 rows and bind off. Turn 90 degrees, etc. Every other turn is a diff. color - brown, green, brown, green, etc. and I usually start with lighter shades and go down to darker. If you find a picture of the log cabin quilt pattern, this will probably make a lot more sense. Make the squares as big as you like, and join them in an interesting pattern - again, quilt books give good ideas for joining. I have also knit pinwheel pattern squares and some others whose names I don't know or can't remember - but any pattern from a quilting book that can be charted out will work. Quilts use up fabric scraps - makes sense to use up yarn scraps in the same way!
Go to Top of Page

fiberarchitect
New Pal

4 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2003 :  5:19:55 PM  Show Profile Send fiberarchitect a Private Message
Kid's hats! Knit in the round, knit every stitch, rib or just let the bottom curl up naturally. Change colors every 1/4 to 1/2 inch, throw in some specialty/novelty yarns every 1/2 inch to inch or so. Double or triple yarns if needed to get the same weight throughout. But you don't even have to do that! Some thinner sections will look great, just experiment. You hardly need any color sense to make a hat kid's love, parents love and you finish in a night or three.

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Zan
New Pal

4 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2003 :  09:41:14 AM  Show Profile Send Aunt Zan a Private Message
Mornin' I'm new here. The ideas for scraps are great. I am going to try the scarf or shawl knitting lengthwise and leaving tails for fringe. I am knitting a scarf widthwise now with leftover Zen and an eyelash (knitted in every 4 or 5 rows). It's very pretty but wish I had thought of the lengthwise way before starting.
I also knit preemie and baby caps. It's been very windy here in NC and the new Mom next door sure appreciated the cap I did for her new baby girl last week.
I have worked finger puppets with my nieces watching and giving input and ideas while digging in my scraps, beads, etc. That was fun! Chaotic, but fun!
Go to Top of Page

SerMom
Permanent Resident

Canada
6412 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2003 :  10:37:18 AM  Show Profile Send SerMom a Private Message
quote:

Mornin' I'm new here. The ideas for scraps are great. I am going to try the scarf or shawl knitting lengthwise and leaving tails for fringe. I am knitting a scarf widthwise now with leftover Zen and an eyelash (knitted in every 4 or 5 rows). It's very pretty but wish I had thought of the lengthwise way before starting.

The scarf I'm working on is widthwise, and the fringes are on the sides. It's different, but I realy like it! I'm double stranding with different yarns, and changing one of the yarns every 3 rows or so, so I'm getting lots of fringe!!

Barbara

Remember, we're self-selecting!
Go to Top of Page

Lelani
Permanent Resident

USA
2005 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2003 :  01:54:50 AM  Show Profile Send Lelani a Private Message
I love this thread, so many wonderful ideas for scraps and just stuff in your staff. I know I will be using alot of the ideas here.

Lelani
Go to Top of Page

geekgirl
Chatty Knitter

USA
220 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2004 :  09:00:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit geekgirl's Homepage Send geekgirl a Private Message
http://www.planetshoup.com/easy/knit/afghstash.shtml

I haven't made the "stashghan" but I love the idea of it and it got me thinking...

I have a bunch of very small balls of beautiful yarns (different sizes, weights, kinds) that I have made things for others with. I was thinking of starting to knit squares with them all- and maybe trying to do this with every yarn I get. I got that "stitch a day" book and I think these squares would be a great way to try out cables and other fancy stitch patterns. Then, in like a year or so I can take all these mismatched squares and sew them together for a knitted crazy quilt which I would love! It would also be a memory of my first year of knitting!

I also made a crazy striped hat for a crazy friend of mine with some leftover yarns that no one would think would go together and she LOVED it!
Go to Top of Page

Phaedra28
Gabber Extraordinaire

485 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2004 :  1:52:37 PM  Show Profile Send Phaedra28 a Private Message
I'm another scrap lover -- think modular! Lots of modular mitred squares, diamonds, shells, etc.

Intarsia: put together yarns of similar weights, and start knitting one of those tesselating patterns, like Lucy Neatby's ducks (or make your own -- it's not that hard...)

Odd ball sweaters, which can be knit from the top down in a circle. Cast on 88 stitches, put in markers every 22 stitches, and knit a row or two in each yarn, in any stitch, with increases both sides of each marker, until it's long enough to reach the underarms. Then separate it into sleeves and body and make up the shapes to fit you using short rows.

Try out all your ideas that you really don't want to buy yarn to try out. Ever thought about knitting a top with one bulky yarn and one fingering weight? Pull out those scraps. Thinking about designing an intarsia pattern and want to see it made up? Pull out those scraps. You get the idea...

Good luck! And someday, when I'm Empress of the Universe, I'll require all citizens to pay taxes in scraps of yarn...

Das war ein Vorspiel nur. Dort wo man Bücher
Verbrennt, verbrennt man auch am Ende Menschen.
--Heinrich Heine 1820
Go to Top of Page

kelty3r
Chatty Knitter

USA
109 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2004 :  3:29:26 PM  Show Profile Send kelty3r a Private Message
I use my scraps of yarn all the time. I use Afghan crochet to make scarfs, shawls, blankets, anything and then I cross stitch on top of them. It looks great and it gets rid of lots of yarn. Plus people love scarfs with their initials cross stitched on them!

Miss Saigon rules
Go to Top of Page

GPORTER@ec.rr.com
Warming Up

USA
94 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2004 :  5:56:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit GPORTER@ec.rr.com's Homepage Send GPORTER@ec.rr.com a Private Message
Silly as it sounds I make drink coaster with all the small scraps...they take very little yarn, are easy to make and come in handy on a daily basis. My idea of a good project.

"I'd rather have thirty minutes of wonderful than a lifetime of nothing special"..from Steel Magnolias
http://www.geocities.com/ggluvsmp/countryside.html
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.7 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.