Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Celebrating Texas fiber producers
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Reader's Corner
 Talk about books reviewed in Knitter's Review
 Socks Soar on Two Circular Needles
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

sabknits
New Pal

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2002 :  12:53:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit sabknits's Homepage Send sabknits a Private Message
I LOVE this book!!!! Of all the knitting reference books, magazines, otehr sock books that I have, including EZ, I really like this one the best. It's full of chattiness, helpful hints, etc., and the technique is awesome! I use two different type needles with this technique so I never get confused as to which needle I need to use next. Such fun! Made my first pair of felted booties from this book...no problem at all with following the directions...booties came out gorgeous in Lambs Pride and DD was thrilled to get them as her Christmas gift. Says it's the best gift I ever made for her! sab

sab

laanmer
New Pal

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2002 :  1:07:53 PM  Show Profile Send laanmer a Private Message
I have never knitted socks. I have knitted mittens on dpns, do I need sock knowledge for this book?

laura wilmott
Go to Top of Page

MarionB
New Pal

30 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2002 :  1:11:09 PM  Show Profile Send MarionB a Private Message
Joyce Williams has been knitting articles this way for years. Does Cat give Joyce any credit? or is there something different about Cat's way? Joyce gave a quick nutshsell 'how-to' in Knitter's magazine some time ago. I've knit many items on two circulars and wouldn't do it any other way.

Go to Top of Page

Patience
Permanent Resident

USA
1080 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2002 :  1:51:18 PM  Show Profile Send Patience a Private Message
Geez, I hope I'm not bursting anyones bubble, but I have the book and couldn't make head nor tail (or should I say toe ) of it. I looked at it and tried to visualize the technique, and then as you suggested Clara, I figured it was best to dive in and just try it. Wrong!! As many times as I tried it, it just got more and more tangled up.

I read that there were several errors in both the first printing and the second. I need to check and see which printing I have and then try and find out where the corrections are. Maybe that's the problem....well, after all, one can always hope, right? That would mean that perhaps I'm not as thick as mud

Regards, Patience
Go to Top of Page

Elizabeth
Permanent Resident

USA
1557 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2002 :  2:17:00 PM  Show Profile Send Elizabeth a Private Message
Uh-oh. I read Clara's review and immediately bought the book from Amazon--then I saw there were postings about the book and just read Patience's posting---and now am a little scared that I bought a book that I won't be able to fathom. I usually love to learn new techniques from books, but I had/have great problems with Anna Zilborg's Simply Socks : 45 Traditional Turkish Patterns to Knit. I cannot for the life of me figure out the cast-on required! I love looking at the socks, but I cannot make them!

Go to Top of Page

langdon
New Pal

1 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2002 :  2:53:46 PM  Show Profile Send langdon a Private Message
I also love this book. Yes, credit is given to Joyce Williams and others in the recommended books section in the back of the book. I was a beginning sock knitter, had just started my first sock on double-pointed needles when I saw this book, quickly started the basic sock pattern, and don't plan to use double-pointed needles anymore! I should tell you that I have e-mailed Cat several times when I've needed help/clarification and she has replied promptly, graciously, and helpfully. Has anyone knit the Alpine Meadow socks? I am having trouble reading the toe chart, please post if you can help. Thanks.

Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2002 :  3:16:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
Patience & Elizabeth - I'm a new sock knitter, and also just got this book - please feel free to ask me if you need help with anything! I didn't find starting very difficult, but had problems re-connecting after I'd done my heel flap - there are tons of people here who can help!

I don't think the book is great as a sole resource for a first time sock knitter, but it's a good technique, and I liked it a lot. I just needed some more hand holding through the heel than she provides in her book.

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
Go to Top of Page

Sheila
New Pal

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2002 :  4:30:03 PM  Show Profile Send Sheila a Private Message
I purchased the book, but if you have ever knit anything in the round you will not need this book, just think of socks as small sweaters. All you are doing is putting needle 2 and 3 on one needle and the rest on the other needle and away you go. I gave mine to a left handed knitter because it will help her learn.

Sheila
Go to Top of Page

BessH
Permanent Resident

3095 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2002 :  5:35:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit BessH's Homepage Send BessH a Private Message
I am another who loved the technique. Can't say I have read the whole book. I just love using two circs. But i will admit - i could not visualize how to do it, which is unusual for me. (used to like to read cook books too) but so many people raved about the technique i decided i too could learn it. I just blindly followed the instructions
at the begining of the book and voila. it worked just fine. I believe the errors are in specific patterns for socks, not for the basic sock instruction. And once i saw it working - ahhhh - well, then i have the most vivid vizualization about it. But even describing my visual image would be confusing till you actually do it so - don't read the following - read the basic sock instruction and just do it.

enjoy

It's like a circle with two circles spinning on either side of it - like gears working together.

Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4403 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2002 :  6:07:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message
For those of you who rushed online and bought the book after reading the review and are now worried, a few words...

First, THANK YOU for the vote of confidence. And if you ordered the book on Amazon.com, thank you also for helping support KR.

But more important, please don't worry. Some people connect with one book, others with another. Do give it a try. And if you determine that this is absolutely not something for you, we can set up a Socks Soar swap in the forums. How's that sound?

Or you can always hunt me down at the Maryland Sheep & Wool Festival and use your copy to whack me over the head!

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
Go to Top of Page

phlame
Permanent Resident

USA
1559 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2002 :  6:09:05 PM  Show Profile Send phlame a Private Message
I too love this book. Before I saw the book, I couldn't quite visualize how to use the needles, but once I saw the pictures it became quite obvious how to do it.

For those who are having problems with it, I am sure any of us here who use 2 circs will be able to help you.

Shirley
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2002 :  6:12:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
Anyone who wants to whack Clara over the head has to get through me first

And really, if that's your goal, I'd choose a much larger book. Socks Soar is just too flimsy to give any real satisfaction as a weapon.

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
Go to Top of Page

Knittinrn
New Pal

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2002 :  6:20:23 PM  Show Profile Send Knittinrn a Private Message
I bought Socks that Soar and while I haven't made any of the socks in the book, I love the two circular needle technique! I adapted it easily to my favorite sock pattern, and have not used double pointed needles since, for socks or any other small circular Item I have knit. This works great also for the center of a shawl, mittens, and my favorite bottle carrier pattern! It's the best new technique I've learned in years!

Go to Top of Page

Busyhands
Permanent Resident

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2002 :  7:19:41 PM  Show Profile Send Busyhands a Private Message
Patience,
"but I have the book and couldn't make head nor tail (or should I say toe ) of it."
Is there someone near you who has already done it that could help? I bought mine at a yarn shop intending to take it home and puzzle over it for a while, but the lady stood for no delay, she made me unwrap the needles and cast on on the spot so she could show me how to get started. After that it was a breeze!

I have finished two pair of socks...ok, and a half!...and am really loving this technique. One of these days I may even transfer my ill-fated first sock onto circular needles and finish it!
Lin

Go to Top of Page

cjreber
Warming Up

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2002 :  7:42:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit cjreber's Homepage Send cjreber a Private Message
Hi everyone,
I am a relative "newbie" when it comes to socks, having made only one pair - and that on double points. But I bought this book about a month ago and it is really EASY! I kept saying to myself the little "mantra" she gives you -"One works while the other one rests" (meaning each of the circular needles) and you really CAN'T mess it up. It seems pretty easy to adapt your old traditional patterns to her method also. I really love my little wooden double points, but I think I may be using them for chop sticks since 2 circs are much more fun, fast and easy!
Cyndy

Go to Top of Page

Patience
Permanent Resident

USA
1080 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2002 :  9:21:21 PM  Show Profile Send Patience a Private Message
Okay, I give up! It's gotta be my brain failing to function somewhere in the very beginning of the directions. I think I could get it once I got going, but I could not get past that pesky join and lifting one stitch over the other.

Busyhands, I think you are correct in saying that if I just had someone to show me the beginning, it would make a huge difference.

Clara where are you when I need you Even if I was going to the Wool Festival, I still wouldn't hit you over the head with the book....well, maybe just toss the 2 circulars your way, how would that be?

Regards, Patience
Go to Top of Page

cjreber
Warming Up

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2002 :  12:02:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit cjreber's Homepage Send cjreber a Private Message
Patience,
I must admit that I didn't do that "pesky" part! I tried to do it and I goofed it up so I just ignored it! I think it's just so you can avoid that "dip" I usually have when I start on dp needles.Anyway, the rest came out fine - try it again!
Cyndy

Go to Top of Page

Clara
queen bee

USA
4403 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2002 :  12:13:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Clara's Homepage Send Clara a Private Message
Patience, what a kind compromise! Especially considering that RosebyAny (the official Knitter's Review Bouncer ) was right about Socks Soar's lack of heft as a weapon.

Wait... did I say I was going to the MD Sheep & Wool Festival? Oh no, I was mistaken. I'm actually going to be... um... visiting friends in Florida. Yeah, that's it...

Clara
Your friendly Knitter's Review publisher
Go to Top of Page

Busyhands
Permanent Resident

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2002 :  3:45:05 PM  Show Profile Send Busyhands a Private Message
[quote]
"if I just had someone to show me the beginning, it would make a huge difference."

Well, now that sounds like a plea for help if I ever heard one! So where are you? maybe one of us lives near enough by we could arrange something....
Lin

Go to Top of Page

Patience
Permanent Resident

USA
1080 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2002 :  9:13:22 PM  Show Profile Send Patience a Private Message
Busyhands,

I wasn't too subtle with that plea was I? It would be great if someone lived nearby and could actually show me how to get this started on 2 circs. Seeing it would make all the difference to me, a tried and true visual learner. By the way, I live in PA, near the Media area......anybody? anyone? do I hear an amen, fellow knitters?

Regards, Patience
Go to Top of Page

magikaat
New Pal

5 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2002 :  10:50:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit magikaat's Homepage Send magikaat a Private Message
I bought this book a year ago and just love it, though I do not think it is for anyone who has never knit socks before, mainly because new sock knitters cannot visualize how a toe, a heel, etc. are supposed to be knit. Since buying this book I cannot stop knitting socks. There is really no "conversion" needed for other sock pattern, instead of putting the correct number of stitches on 4 needles, you just put them on two and then for the heel,foot, and toe I follow Cat's directions for her basic sock (the first sock pattern in book). I have found lace socks much easier to knit on two needles rather than four. In the past I have used two circulars for knitting sleeves onto the body of a sweater, but never thought to use the technique on socks. Thanks a million for your vision Cat!!!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.94 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.
How can I sponsor?