Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: Photos and wisdom from the Knitter's Review Retreat
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 Reader's Corner
 Talk about books reviewed in Knitter's Review
 Socks Soar on Two Circular Needles
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

K2P2
New Pal

9 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2002 :  08:27:00 AM  Show Profile Send K2P2 a Private Message
I am a brand newbie and learning to knit socks Cat's way. Now I hear it is possible to knit a pair of socks simultaneously on the same 2 needles. Cat (or somebody) needs to write another book! Is this technique hard? Who else does this?
Regards, Linda

Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2002 :  1:41:41 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
A lot of us, but you wonn't need another book. It works for both toe up and top down sock patterns. Here is a site that explains it:

http://ingridknits.tripod.com/index.html

Click on her double trouble sock pattern and start reading, you will come to a spot that says something like "see pictures here" and that will explain it better than words. I think the third picture is the best. Once you are comfortable with the cast on, you can knit any pattern you wish. I use this technique for sleeves, necklines, etc. I never use DPN.

fran-

Go to Top of Page

Elizabeth
Permanent Resident

USA
1557 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2002 :  3:11:11 PM  Show Profile Send Elizabeth a Private Message
Woo-hoo! My Socks Soar book came today. Amazon is so-o-o-o-o fast. Unbelievable. I just want to go home and hole-up and learn this technique...

How many more hours until 5 o'clock???

Go to Top of Page

BessH
Permanent Resident

3095 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2002 :  4:24:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit BessH's Homepage Send BessH a Private Message
and for a literary, k2p2 allusion check out War and Peace - the aunt knits two socks at once, while the children sit around waiting for her to pull them apart

Now, Elizabeth - go home, take two circulars and call us in the morning. all kidding aside,here is some completely unsolicited advice - worth exactly what you would pay for it. just exactly do what she tells you to do for the basic sock. Don't read the intro. Don't pass go, don't confuse yourself. Just cast on and obey.

At least, that is what I did and it was really a shocker how well it worked and how quickly the socks grew.

Go to Top of Page

cjreber
Warming Up

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2002 :  7:51:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit cjreber's Homepage Send cjreber a Private Message
Patience,
I live near Lancaster PA - not sure where Media is - are we anywhere close? I could show you the little I know about the socks soaring!!
Cyndy

Go to Top of Page

Patience
Permanent Resident

USA
1080 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2002 :  11:28:23 AM  Show Profile Send Patience a Private Message
Thank you so much for your willingness to help me with this technique. Lancaster is about one hour from Media, and DH and I usually go to Lancaster at least 4 or 5 times a year. Sometimes we go to Rockvale Square and others, we go here and there. I've never visited any yarn shops there. I hear Oh Suzanna is a good one, but have no idea how to get there. Do you have any favorites, and if so how close are they to Rockvale Square? Thanks again.

Regards, Patience
Go to Top of Page

tighniamh
Warming Up

USA
63 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2002 :  11:47:29 AM  Show Profile Send tighniamh a Private Message
As a fairly new sock knitter, (I'm on my third pair), I think I'm ready to move from dpns to circs, now I just need to order the book. I can't wait to see how much it speeds up my sock knitting.

Niamh

Go to Top of Page

cjreber
Warming Up

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2002 :  8:07:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit cjreber's Homepage Send cjreber a Private Message
Patience,
E-mail me privately (see my "profile") and I will give you the scoop on the 2 shops I know including the one you mentioned. This is definitely "do-able" - we just need to find a mutually convenient time! You will really love the 2 circs method, I'm sure.

Cyndy

Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2002 :  8:20:42 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
Bess,

After reading that in "War and Peace", I set out trying to learn to do it. (I was about 15) I never have seen any directions for it but I did do it using double knitting techniques. I did it once that is, My knitting is a little too loose when double knitting for socks, and it is too easy to knit them together into one piece...LOL it is dramatic though when you finally finish the toes and then pull them apart.

Fran

Go to Top of Page

Lemonjello
New Pal

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2002 :  12:59:33 PM  Show Profile Send Lemonjello a Private Message
Hi all, After reading the review, I ran out and found a copy of Cat's book in a local knitting store. That was two days ago. I am now wearing a pair of the simple socks. Okay, I haven't eaten or slept, but who needs that when you can knit instead! There was something about her writing that made me feel so tranquil. Loved the book. If any of you are having problems with her methods I live in San Francisco and would be thrilled to help out. Linda

Go to Top of Page

Rebs
New Pal

United Kingdom
24 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2002 :  4:06:49 PM  Show Profile Send Rebs a Private Message
Hi all, this is just a very quick question from someone in the UK. I have ordered my copy of Socks Soar from Amazon US, and it should arrive in a week or so, I have 2 balls of Regia awaiting this, but I need to know do I need 2 pairs of circular needles or one? I will need to order these on the internet, so thought I'd get them to arrive about the same time as the book. Am i right to think I need 16" circulars as well.
Thanks in advance. Rebs

Hi all, After reading the review, I ran out and found a copy of Cat's book in a local knitting store. That was two days ago. I am now wearing a pair of the simple socks. Okay, I haven't eaten or slept, but who needs that when you can knit instead! There was something about her writing that made me feel so tranquil. Loved the book. If any of you are having problems with her methods I live in San Francisco and would be thrilled to help out. Linda

[/quote]

Go to Top of Page

phlame
Permanent Resident

USA
1562 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2002 :  4:11:17 PM  Show Profile Send phlame a Private Message
Hi...what you need are TWO pairs of circular needles...24" length is the preferred length and the one recommended in the book. have fun...I know you will!

Shirley

Shirley
Go to Top of Page

Alissa
Seriously Hooked

USA
632 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2002 :  7:10:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Alissa's Homepage Send Alissa a Private Message
I second the 24" needles! I use them from start to finish. You need 2 needle for each sock. I finally gave in and bought another pair of circular #2's so I can have two sock projects going at once. How's that for addicted?

Alissa
Go to Top of Page

fmarrs
Guardian angel

USA
9776 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2002 :  2:49:35 PM  Show Profile Send fmarrs a Private Message
Alissa,

I think one of your sentences needs a little explanation. You need 2 circular needles for knitting one sock. But you use the same circular needles when knitting 2 socks on 2 circulars. The only reason to buy more than 2 pair of the same size if if you have more than one pair of socks on needles.

Fran

Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2002 :  3:11:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
Isn't that confusing! When you're knitting socks on two circular needles, you need two pair of circular needles - but only if you consider a pair of circular needles to be tied together by one cord!

LOL My head is spinning here.

If you want to do socks, buy two packages of circular needles. Does that help? You'll make the socks on four needle tips.

I think I need to lie down after this post!

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
Go to Top of Page

Elizabeth
Permanent Resident

USA
1557 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2002 :  3:20:20 PM  Show Profile Send Elizabeth a Private Message
Ok, I feel the need to come clean. Bought the book, went home, and, shaking with excitement, I took up the two circulars and some luscious cashmere/cotton hand-dyed yarn...and got REALLY bored. Now maybe it is because I don't have two pairs of Addi Turbos that are the same size so I had to use non-Addis. (Cat seems MARRIED to the idea of having Addis for everything, so I am hoping that was my problem. That is what I am telling myself. For now.)

I gave up after doing the heel and gusset. It just wasn't fun!

THEN, I picked up my trusty Swallow casein double-pointeds and knit the salsa socks in SOCKS, SOCKS, SOCKS. And LOVED it. I guess I am a (minority) double-pointed type of chickita.

Go to Top of Page

Patience
Permanent Resident

USA
1080 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2002 :  7:02:03 PM  Show Profile Send Patience a Private Message
Elizabeth,

I don't think you're alone by any means! I too prefer the double points buy maybe that's just because I can't seem to get the knack of the circs down pat, who knows? I don't see how it can be so much quicker knitting socks on circulars, but that's what those that use them say. Am I alone in thinking that socks don't go very quickly anyway!! Using the fingering yarns for most of my socks, I think they go rather slowly, but can someone who does socks on circulars please tell me how they feel about this?

Thanks, Patience
Go to Top of Page

RoseByAny
Permanent Resident

USA
12598 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2002 :  7:32:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit RoseByAny's Homepage Send RoseByAny a Private Message
For me they go faster on circs, because (as Clara mentioned in her review) you only have to shuffle needles once a round, instead of three or four times. I also find them more comfortable, because they bend out of your way, instead of having a point in your palm, or the triangle (or square) flopping around.

I should probably also mention that I'm currently about halfway up the foot of a pair of socks I started (going two at a time) late Friday evening - had slow going starting the toe because it was a whole new technique for me and was busy so I couldn't knit at all Saturday - and could conceivably have them finished by the end of the weekend. So we'd be looking at just over 1 week for a pair of socks, and it previously took me a week to finish just one sock (on dpns, with much larger yarn) How's that for faster?

"Choose your friends by their character and your socks by their color. Choosing your socks by their character makes no sense, and choosing your friends by their color is unthinkable."
Go to Top of Page

Alissa
Seriously Hooked

USA
632 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2002 :  8:46:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Alissa's Homepage Send Alissa a Private Message
You are exactly right, I have 4 circular needles #2 - 24". I have two different sock patterns going. I have tried but do not currently knit both socks at the same time on the same set of 2 needles. What I have going is a purple sock with cables on one set and an entrelac pair on the other set.

Alissa
Go to Top of Page

Patience
Permanent Resident

USA
1080 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2002 :  09:21:02 AM  Show Profile Send Patience a Private Message
Oh Rose, you are so darned talented. So you're working on both socks at the same time, is that right? So I'm guessing you would have 4 circular size needles going all together? I'm having trouble picturing this, but you know me when it comes to "reading" instructions, versus "seeing" instructions, so please elaborate for me if you would.

Starting the socks toe up is a whole other thing...I've never done them that way and tell me if you found it difficult to do, or did you like it better than leg down?

I worry about turning the heel, the gusset, etc. when using the circs. Is this a different animal with the circulars? Well, nothing like a few (?) questions for you, huh?

Regards, Patience[/blue]
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.67 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.