Knitter's Review Forums
  The online community for readers of Knitter's Review.
  This week: A strong and discreet knot for knitting
   > Have you subscribed yet?
Knitter's Review Forums
KR Home | My Profile | Register | Active Topics | Private Messages | Search | FAQ | Want to make Betty happy?
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your username or password?

All Forums
 General Chitchat
 Random Knitting-Related Stuff
 Project Completion Blues
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

SusanT
Seriously Hooked

950 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2003 :  10:42:00 AM  Show Profile Send SusanT a Private Message
I had a very productive knitting weekend. I finished a sweater which I'm wearing today and completed a hat that's part of my MIL's Xmas present.

I should feel satisfied but I'm feeling a little blue. I've got plenty of other projects lined up so it's not like I don't have a new project waiting for me.

Does this happen to you guys at all?

of troy
Permanent Resident

USA
2474 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2003 :  11:36:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit of troy's Homepage Send of troy a Private Message
wait just one minute!
Re:...and completed a hat that's part of my MIL's Xmas present.

Was it you who asked about 'provisional' casting on... and grafting?(i've been 'bumped' and/or lost ISP connection looking for the thread-)

Did you learn how to do a provisional cast on and to graft/kirchner stitch a seam this weekend, and are ho-hum about it?...

i do get blue sometimes when finishing a project.. now i have to move it from some hidden corner (stash) into over stuffed closet/clothes drawers...and now i have another sweater/vest/hat/whatever, and i have more than i can wear out in a lifetime, forget about yarn in stash!

since i design stuff, i have not only a stash of wool/yarn, but a stash of 'sample projects'... sometimes photo's just aren't enough.

and, many times, a FO, while admired by others, is not exactly as i envisioned it... (i made a poncho/cape with cabled border... everyone at knitting guild ooh'd and aah'd.. but i see all the flaws-not knitting flaws, design flaws..)

I hope(i'll nag about it!) you are taking photo's of FO's, and some notes, and saving a scrap of yarn, and ball band...and making a journal of all FO's, especially the ones you are giving away!

Think about this too:
in Staples, and (and K-Mart), you can get in stationary section, kits to make 'iron on t shirt designs' with your computer printer.

Use your computer and Word (wordart) to make narrow (1 inch or so)
label/tag designs.."Knit with Love by Susan" Print on to iron on t-shirt 'page' cut into strips, iron onto 1.25 inch 'satin ribbon'.(instead of onto t-shirts)

sew your custom made tags into your gifts --you can make second tag with wash/care instructions. (use a table template, and fine font)

It gives your sweaters/hats/etc a finished look.

you can customize labels.. "Knit for Su-Su, by Aunt Susie" or 'Designed and knit by Susan O'toole'(or what ever your last name is) or any other 'text'you want, and not be locked into 'single design/text' of the mail order tags. iron on T-shirt/ribbon labels are cheaper (and faster!) than mail away 'custom' labels.

Go to Top of Page

SusanT
Seriously Hooked

950 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2003 :  11:54:14 AM  Show Profile Send SusanT a Private Message
It must have been another Susan asking about those techniques. (I haven't come across having to learn those yet).

Great idea about memorializing the projects I'm giving away as well as photographing my other FO's and I LOVE the tag idea.

I think the blues I'm feeling is because I'm just mentally and a little physically fatigued from completing projects. I've been wanting to design a scarf with a Celtic cable for my Mom for Christmas. Think I'll doodle with that for awhile and give my poor hands a rest.

Go to Top of Page

GFTC
Permanent Resident

USA
6331 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2003 :  12:05:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit GFTC's Homepage Send GFTC a Private Message
Susan, I know how you feel. I worked on the pieces for the new baby from May until last week and completed 4 sweaters and a blanket in addition to all the other things I made in between. But when I sewed the last button on the last sweater I felt so strange, as though "my work was done." I have a closet full of yarn and all sorts of projects planned, but I have not started anything and, other than a 2 hour pair of fingerless mittens, I have not knit in 2 or 3 weeks. Maybe this is why so many people keep several projects going at one time, so they never experience the letdown. I am waiting for delivery on 2 new AbFab kits. I think if I make one of those, it will transition me back into harder and more interesting projects again.

Go to Top of Page

Smock7
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
491 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2003 :  3:24:29 PM  Show Profile Send Smock7 a Private Message
Well, I wish I had the completion blues! I find that I love the designing more lately. Just ask me....embarrassing as it may seem, I'll admit that I have 8 sweaters on needles! I get so excited when I think of a new sweater. I love to hunt for just the right yarn and I love to begin the project, but then, I seem to hit the point where the challenge of a new technique or pattern is mastered and then my interest slows to the point that I'm almost bored! The Einstien coat is a classic example! I need to make myself finish at least one sweater before I begin another! I'm that way with socks right now! I have 4 socks on needles! HMMMMM, it seems like I need a few good days at home alone with my needles to relax and knit, knit, knit!

Vanessa

From the Heart of Oklahoma!
Go to Top of Page

hobbitknitter
Permanent Resident

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2003 :  5:30:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit hobbitknitter's Homepage Send hobbitknitter a Private Message
Yep- finishing out of nessesity, rather than becuz I want to, makes me feel blue.

S. Eliz.

Keep on knitting on!
See my gallery: www.pagebypage.com/board/index.php(In photo gallery pages, under S for Sarah Elizabeth)
Go to Top of Page

Lelani
Permanent Resident

USA
2005 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2003 :  7:35:02 PM  Show Profile Send Lelani a Private Message
I have a cardigan im working on since Sept for my class at my LYs. I dont think I quite understood how much work the cabling would be even though it is easy, there is just so darn many of them. I love the pattern , its just going slower as I am not a fast knitter to begin with and the cabling takes me a little more time. I will be glad to be done with it. Im ready to make a sweater now for my daughter as i have been promising her for a long time.

Lelani
Go to Top of Page

CCR
Gabber Extraordinaire

375 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2003 :  05:32:53 AM  Show Profile Send CCR a Private Message
I often find that finishing a project makes me sad, no matter how much I yearned to get it done and over with. I don't know what the psychological reasons for this might be, but it is very odd.

And I find that the more I ached to finish the blasted thing, the more I miss it when it's gone!

I just finished a long scarf in the mistake rib pattern out of black Trina for my husband. He kept wanting it longer, so I ended up using seven skeins! I stayed up late just to get it finished and, afterwards, I felt sad rather than proud.

I need to dive right into the next project, or a project that has also been in the works. Taking time off between projects would drive me nuts!

Carin

Go to Top of Page

SusanT
Seriously Hooked

950 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2003 :  08:30:18 AM  Show Profile Send SusanT a Private Message
I contemplated taking time off but my hands itch for my needles.

I have some Zara in the most gorgeous red I've ever seen that I'm trying to make my Mom a scarf for Christmas, but I can't seem to find a design I like. I want to do something cabled with a seed stitch border. I'm so raring to go on this but haven't seen the pattern yet that makes me go eureka!

Go to Top of Page

oneangel77
Gabber Extraordinaire

453 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2003 :  11:34:26 AM  Show Profile Send oneangel77 a Private Message
Hi SusanT,

Did you see that cabled scarf in Vogue knitting? It was super pretty. If you haven't seen it yet you might want to check it out.

Angela

Go to Top of Page

SusanT
Seriously Hooked

950 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2003 :  1:18:04 PM  Show Profile Send SusanT a Private Message
I heard about that but I can't seem to find Vogue Knitting anywhere. My LYS doesn't carry it or does the mass market newsstand. Where does everyone else find this magazine?

Go to Top of Page

Sky
Chatty Knitter

Canada
100 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2003 :  11:06:29 AM  Show Profile Send Sky a Private Message
I sometimes get sad about finishing a project when I have to give the finished item away. It's a bit like giving away a memory. Documenting finished projects might be a great way to get around that, except I'm always finishing things off at the last minute and have run out of film, etc. It just seems simpler to pop it in the mail. As for the things I'm making for myself, I never finish them ! I get excited about a new project or yarn and keep starting new ones. I would bet that I have 20 half finished works lurking about the house (including a sweater that my husband outgrew before I finished it -- but my son will soon be big enough). Think I'll log off now and go finish sewing up some 2 needle sock (that are for someone else for Christmas).

Go to Top of Page

oneangel77
Gabber Extraordinaire

453 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2003 :  1:06:30 PM  Show Profile Send oneangel77 a Private Message
Hi SusanT,

I actually can get it at Barnes & Nobel or my LYS. Sorry I can't help you out more than that. Did you try online anywhere yet?

Angela

Go to Top of Page

SusanT
Seriously Hooked

950 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2003 :  1:40:43 PM  Show Profile Send SusanT a Private Message
I hadn't had a chance to look further for Vogue so I've moved on to a hat Xmas present until I either find the pattern or the design inspiration hits me.

Go to Top of Page

jcavin
New Pal

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2003 :  4:00:14 PM  Show Profile Send jcavin a Private Message
I usually have several prjects on the go at the same time. So actually finishing one of them, and finishing it in time for its intended purpose always makes me feel really good, not blue!

Joan Cavin
Go to Top of Page

knitaly
Chatty Knitter

USA
102 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2003 :  4:28:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit knitaly's Homepage Send knitaly a Private Message
Completion blues? No way! I have UFO blues and feel overwrought with guilt for having so many unfinished projects. When I do finish one, I wanna do a little Snoopy spring dance.

Francesca
Go to Top of Page

inkimd@yahoo.com
New Pal

12 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2003 :  3:17:15 PM  Show Profile Send inkimd@yahoo.com a Private Message
No, never. When I finish a project I move right on to the next one, or pick up an uncompleted one which looks good again. Since I knit for multiple children and grandchildren, occasional friends, and do some charity knitting, I don't have time to feel blue after a project finally gets done; I just heave a big sigh of relief, and go on to the next in line.
Go to Top of Page

ChelleC100
Gabber Extraordinaire

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2003 :  09:33:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit ChelleC100's Homepage Send ChelleC100 a Private Message
Susan,

That's why I like to keep several projects in the works at once. While I love to shop for yarn and plan for a project - and often have WAY more projects in mind than I have time to do, I still like to plan anyway. But what I find irksome is totally starting over - casting on and getting started on a new pattern. I prefer being in the midst of a project, where I've figured out the pattern and sorta get "in the flow" of what I'm knitting. Therefore, I keep several going at once, different levels/difficulties of projects and each at different stages of completion.

Ideally, I like to keep three going: 1) A "big" mindless project such as the Einstein that I can sit in bed or in my armchair and knit while watching TV etc.; 2) a portable project, such as socks or a scarf; 3) a more challenging project that I can do in more focused sessions that require more attention and conentration. Chelle

Go to Top of Page

draymer
Permanent Resident

USA
1481 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2003 :  11:35:35 AM  Show Profile Send draymer a Private Message
Susan, I know just what you are feeling! I am sad I am almost done with my MIL's lace shawl. The funny thing is, I hated this thing when I started, and just about didn't finish it after I had to rip out about 50 rows. But after letting it sit for a month, the pattern makes sense, and I only have about 20 rows left. I actually picked up something else this weekend (crocheting a granny square purse for my daughter) because I really don't want to finish. I really learned something from this project (mainly, that a pattern will come to you, and you should not be struggling along hating ever stitch).

Debra

Go to Top of Page

inner knitting goddess

Posted - 11/25/2003 :  10:55:48 AM  Show Profile Send inner knitting goddess a Private Message
I am completely blue! I just finished a baby sweater and scarf over the weekend. I am looking for another project to do over the upcoming holiday weekend. I am glad I am not the only one ;)

Karen
Go to Top of Page

jade
Permanent Resident

USA
1543 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2003 :  12:04:27 PM  Show Profile Send jade a Private Message
I feel a bit nostalgic when a project is over. The gansey I'm knitting now feels like it's a part of my body, I've been carrying it around for so long.

But when I'm nearing the end of one project, I'm thinking of what I'll do next. So while I start the last sleeve of the gansey, I'm mulling over patterns and yarns. I enjoy this immensely. So when I'm finally done with the gansey which has no finishing to do, I'm going on to a Vittadini jacket out of some KFI Pazzo Matto in my stash.

Cheryl

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knitter's Review Forums © 2001-2014 Knitter's Review Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.72 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000
line This week's bandwidth
kindly brought to you by

and by knitters like you.